Ford Quickclear technology

Using the same space age technology as the Boeing 747 electrically heated windshield. Ford's Quick Defrost Windshield/Rear Window option was introduced in 1974 on two of its top of the line prestige cars, the Ford Thunderbird and Continental Mark IV. A transparent, thinly coated gold-bearing metallic film is sandwiched between layers of polyvinyl butyral and glass. When electrical current is applied to this film, it warms quickly and evenly to rapidly clear the glass of frost or ice. A second alternator is provided on cars equipped with this option, and two defrost power levels were provided: high for initial fast clearing, and low to keep the glass clear. After three to four minutes of operation, the glass areas are mostly cleared. Known in the glass industry as the DW825 windshield, this option was short lived due in part to its cost, which was $306.70 on the Mark IV in 1974.

Ford Insta-Clear heated windshield option was introduced in 1985. First seen on the 1985 Ford Scorpio/Granada Mk.III in Europe and the Ford Taurus/Mercury Sable in the U.S

Edited by Stng1996

why is youtube so hit or miss?

The old system form the 80's / 90's used a light layer of gold for the windshield which were very expensive when it came to install and replace.

The system that was on the 06-08 Explorer/Mountaineer/Sport Trac was more like the rear window defroster used fine lines in the windshield. It was only a $300 option, however most dealers didn't order it for stock units. (could be fixed with proper packaging)

Ford needs to add a weather / Winter Package for their cars/SUV/Trucks -- Heated seats / Heated mirrors / Auto Windshield wipers / Heated Windshield / Rear fog lights / Headlight Washers / Remote Start. They could charge $1,000 for it and still make a very nice profit on it.

I haven't a clue as to how it would work, but you would think that the auto engineers could do something with the exhaust as that's the very first 'thing' to warm up on a just started, cold, car.

However, the added complexity would probably not be worth it over a windshield with the gold in it (even if it breaks or gets chipped).

Something I found interesting when I was in the UK: My stepsister used a product that came in a spray can that basically instantly cleared the windshield. I was a little stunned. I asked why they just didn't scrape the windshield (it was a frosty evening) and she said they just didn't do it and bizarrely said "the heaters aren't designed for that". I think she was just talking nonsense on that point, because it's completely illogical.

But maybe because I've never looked for it, I've never seen a product you can easily buy that would do this. I've always just used my handy scraper and turned on the defrost. I wonder if it's just a cultural thing? That Americans are cool with scraping and getting going?

I'm not sure why we haven't seen any innovation (or adoption) on this front since the tech was largely abandoned in the 80s'. I mean any Michigander would greatly value heated glass to avoid scraping or de-icing (My dad uses a liquid de-icer)...I just use a garage ;) I could also be said that any remote-start equipped car will take care of business just as effectively. The MKX/Edge actually increase the RPM of the engine while in remote-start mode to speed up heating, very effective.

Won't that potentially crack the windshield?

Yes

No. We're talking hot water from the tap (~125-130 F), not boiling water.

The glass would only potentially crack going the other direction. Ice-water on a steaming hot windshield. But then the glass is bearing all the stress.

When you put the water on the ice-coated glass, the ice is the first thing to absorb the heat, not the glass. The temperature differential isn't that much by the time the ice is melted.

It's always worked for me, and never cracked the glass in the 25 years I've been driving.

Edited by RangerM

But maybe because I've never looked for it, I've never seen a product you can easily buy that would do this. I've always just used my handy scraper and turned on the defrost. I wonder if it's just a cultural thing? That Americans are cool with scraping and getting going?

http://www.amazon.com/Spray-Icer-oz-Aerosol-AS-242/dp/B0016GVKCY

I have some (I think I got it from my parents some how) and all it is Ethanol (alcohol) with some CO2 to propel it out of the can. It works pretty good. I don't think I'll be getting much use for it since I have a garage now to park my car.

Another reason why insta-clear windshields aren't poplar...the block signals from windshield mounted toll tags, radar detectors, etc....another thing is that if my memory serves me right they windshield turns a pink hue that doesn't look that great IMO.

No. We're talking hot water from the tap (~125-130 F), not boiling water.

The glass would only potentially crack going the other direction. Ice-water on a steaming hot windshield. But then the glass is bearing all the stress.

When you put the water on the ice-coated glass, the ice is the first thing to absorb the heat, not the glass. The temperature differential isn't that much by the time the ice is melted.

It's always worked for me, and never cracked the glass in the 25 years I've been driving.

It is certainly related to the temperature difference and whether the windshield already has any defects. It's probably not likely in the scenario you described but it is possible.

It is certainly related to the temperature difference and whether the windshield already has any defects. It's probably not likely in the scenario you described but it is possible.

I can only say that if the glass is that sensitive to temperature differential in my scenario, then I don't know how a person could have their defroster blowing hot air on the inside of the car and it be sub-zero temperatures outside the car, and expect the glass not to crack.

I'll agree if the glass already has a defect (like a crack or a rock chip), then the damage is more likely, but I wasn't assuming that scenario.

IIRC, some GM models featured heated windshield wiper fluid (or nozzles, or something) as a solution to the problem. Never heard of it causing damage.

I can only say that if the glass is that sensitive to temperature differential in my scenario, then I don't know how a person could have their defroster blowing hot air on the inside of the car and it be sub-zero temperatures outside the car, and expect the glass not to crack.

I'll agree if the glass already has a defect (like a crack or a rock chip), then the damage is more likely, but I wasn't assuming that scenario.

IIRC, some GM models featured heated windshield wiper fluid (or nozzles, or something) as a solution to the problem. Never heard of it causing damage.

I did a quick google and there are tons of reports of windshields cracking from just the defroster being on high as well as some where they only poured hot water on it.

Again, I think as long as the water isn't too hot and the temps aren't too cold (above zero) and there are no defects that it's probably safe. But there is always a chance. It also depends on how you pour it.

I did a quick google and there are tons of reports of windshields cracking from just the defroster being on high as well as some where they only poured hot water on it.

Again, I think as long as the water isn't too hot and the temps aren't too cold (above zero) and there are no defects that it's probably safe. But there is always a chance. It also depends on how you pour it.

Can't say. I just know it's never been a problem for me, which is why I mentioned it. Learned it from my grandfather.

On a side note, when you don't have access to the tap water, I also find the Prestone de-icer windshield fluid kicks the crap out of the cheap, blue stuff.

Can't say. I just know it's never been a problem for me, which is why I mentioned it. Learned it from my grandfather.

On a side note, when you don't have access to the tap water, I also find the Prestone de-icer windshield fluid kicks the crap out of the cheap, blue stuff.

I just bought two gallons of the Prestone. It was buy one get one. I'm looking forward to trying it when the blue stuff in the reservoir of the Explorer runs out.

I just bought two gallons of the Prestone. It was buy one get one. I'm looking forward to trying it when the blue stuff in the reservoir of the Explorer runs out.

We always switch to it in the winter months for our company trucks. I've never seen it freeze even in the coldest Mass/NH winters.

I use it in my personal vehicle, too. Although we usually don't experience the same level of cold (in NC) as you guys (in PA).

Edited by RangerM

We always switch to it in the winter months for our company trucks. I've never seen it freeze even in the coldest Mass/NH winters.

I use it in my personal vehicle, too. Although we usually don't experience the same level of cold (in NC) as you guys (in PA).

The Explorer lives outside since the Mustang and T-Bird have the garage spaces. I always hate the way the blue stuff re-freezes on the windshield once I start driving when it's really cold. Of course today it was 60 and sunny so I'm good for now.