Another Lincoln dealer bites the dust...

Carbone Auto group has done a "consolidation" of their two Ford dealerships in Central New York. Don's Ford in Utica NY will absorb the Carbone Ford/Lincoln dealership of Rome NY and Lincoln will no longer be sold at the combined dealership located off Rte #12 just north of the Riverside Center retail shopping stores.

Sadly, the end of an era in Rome as the Former Sid Stockholm Ford dealership has survived many changes in the area and has gone through several ownerships after Sid retired....Carbone Auto group will rename it the Carbone Auto Pre-Owned Select center and will use the outlet to sell pre-owned vehicles of all makes. The Quick Lanes center will remain for now, but may be closed if business conditions warrant it...

Lincolns have been sold in Rome for many years.....I remember as a kid when the Lincoln/Mercury dealership (Vern Secor Lincoln / Mercury) was separate and on opposite ends of Rome NY...Lincolns will now only be available at Steet-Ponte Ford / Lincoln on Commercial Drive in New York Mills. Steet-Ponte took over the former Ed Blask Ford dealership at the same location and absorbed the former Cater Lincoln / Mercury dealership that was 1/2 a mile up the road on Commercial drive when the Cater family (do not remember Mr Caters first name) decided to retire.

Makes no sense because Carbone Auto Group just poured a ton of money into the Rome Ford / Lincoln site with renovations to the showroom and state of the art facilities.....

I was surprised to see this as well and would've thought they'd at least keep selling Ford from that site. Those who live in Rome will now need to travel to either Utica or Oneida to purchase a Ford product. Or more likely shop the GM or Chrysler dealerships still in Rome.

Metro Detroit still has far too many Lincoln dealerships, and I know most of them are struggling to keep sales people. I see a new sales team every time I stop by so I buy a car and never see the salesperson again, but that's nothing new within the last 6 years.

Edited by BORG

Metro Detroit still has far too many Lincoln dealerships, and I know most of them are struggling to keep sales people. I see a new sales team every time I stop by so I buy a car and never see the salesperson again, but that's nothing new within the last 6 years.

Remember, Ford is still pruning Ford dealerhips also. If auto sales don't get back up to 15 million+ soon, I would imagine at least 100 Ford dealerhsips/year will go bye-bye. I can think of a few in Metro Detroit that could go away over next couple years. Ford sells about 100,000 vehicles/month less on average than they did in the 90's when Taurus and Explorer/Expediton/Ranger were king. So I would look for more consolidation in Metro areas.

Remember, Ford is still pruning Ford dealerhips also. If auto sales don't get back up to 15 million+ soon, I would imagine at least 100 Ford dealerhsips/year will go bye-bye. I can think of a few in Metro Detroit that could go away over next couple years. Ford sells about 100,000 vehicles/month less on average than they did in the 90's when Taurus and Explorer/Expediton/Ranger were king. So I would look for more consolidation in Metro areas.

Well...in essence, they did just prune one more Ford dealership out of the shrub....with the "consolidation" of the two showrooms into one, there is one less Ford showroom in the area to work a deal from...guess they got tired of competing with their own sales force, a known fact the you could always get a better deal in the Rome outlet as opposed to the Utica showroom....

Lincoln right now is like the bastard step child, lost, unappreciated and lacking the skillset to stand on its own. Lincoln needs this complete restyle of its line yesterday. Before long too few people will be interested to see what actually happens. Don't screw the pooch on the redesigns but sorry to say, it needed to happen last week.

I stopped at the dealership today to ask some questions about my continued use of their facilities.....seems that the deal was precipitated by Ford Motor Company themselves....Carbone wanted the Lincoln and Mercury franchises bad....They were out-bid for Cater Lincoln / Mercury in Yorkville by the newly acquired Ford dealership in nearby New York Mills as Steet-Ponte was building their automotive group. So, Carbone turns and buys the Rome Ford L/M dealership that was also foundering due to hap-hazard ownership after Sid Stockholm retires. They were prevented to move Lincolns and Mercurys to their Utica site due to the proximity of Steet-Ponte Ford L/M, so instead, they poured millions into the renovation of the Rome site, making it into the new model for Ford and Lincoln / Mercury......

Then Ford shutters the Mercury brand which turns Carbone Ford Lincoln / Mercury in Rome NY into Rome Ford / LINCOLN......then Ford decides that there are too many Lincoln dealerships in the area and pressures Carbone Auto Group to relinquish Lincoln as the brand is remodeled and re-invented, leaving only Steet-Ponte with the Lincoln marque....they just completed all the requisite upgrades to their showroom and make all the necessary changes to accommodate "The New Lincoln" and thereby pushes Carbones Lincoln site off the map in Rome.....Carbone makes a business decision to consolidate their Ford showrooms into one large Ford Dealership and Rome NY loses the Ford store after it being here for decades......

A sad day indeed....my next car will be a Lincoln....but, for personal reasons, I will not buy it at Steet-Ponte due to their inept handling of a prior deal when my girlfriend bought her last Escape there....we vowed then to never deal with them again, the whole process was rough and the only reason why we didn't walk away from the deal was that it was already financed and all the checks were already cut....first trip after delivery was to the auto parts store up the street for a replacement lic plate frame and tossing their frame in the trash...

Lincoln right now is like the bastard step child, lost, unappreciated and lacking the skillset to stand on its own. Lincoln needs this complete restyle of its line yesterday. Before long too few people will be interested to see what actually happens. Don't screw the pooch on the redesigns but sorry to say, it needed to happen last week.

Actually, I believe the market is very forgiving and when Ford finally decides to revamp Lincoln and do the job properly, buyers will be there.

The real market in the US is Utilities so I don't understand the fixation of delivering sedans first, Lincoln really needs a "Mariner" and an Aviator

those two would compliment the already successful MKX, a refreshed Navigator wouldn't go astray either....

All of those are more urgent than the sedans...

Edited by jpd80

I stopped at the dealership today to ask some questions about my continued use of their facilities.....seems that the deal was precipitated by Ford Motor Company themselves....Carbone wanted the Lincoln and Mercury franchises bad....They were out-bid for Cater Lincoln / Mercury in Yorkville by the newly acquired Ford dealership in nearby New York Mills as Steet-Ponte was building their automotive group. So, Carbone turns and buys the Rome Ford L/M dealership that was also foundering due to hap-hazard ownership after Sid Stockholm retires. They were prevented to move Lincolns and Mercurys to their Utica site due to the proximity of Steet-Ponte Ford L/M, so instead, they poured millions into the renovation of the Rome site, making it into the new model for Ford and Lincoln / Mercury......

Then Ford shutters the Mercury brand which turns Carbone Ford Lincoln / Mercury in Rome NY into Rome Ford / LINCOLN......then Ford decides that there are too many Lincoln dealerships in the area and pressures Carbone Auto Group to relinquish Lincoln as the brand is remodeled and re-invented, leaving only Steet-Ponte with the Lincoln marque....they just completed all the requisite upgrades to their showroom and make all the necessary changes to accommodate "The New Lincoln" and thereby pushes Carbones Lincoln site off the map in Rome.....Carbone makes a business decision to consolidate their Ford showrooms into one large Ford Dealership and Rome NY loses the Ford store after it being here for decades......

A sad day indeed....my next car will be a Lincoln....but, for personal reasons, I will not buy it at Steet-Ponte due to their inept handling of a prior deal when my girlfriend bought her last Escape there....we vowed then to never deal with them again, the whole process was rough and the only reason why we didn't walk away from the deal was that it was already financed and all the checks were already cut....first trip after delivery was to the auto parts store up the street for a replacement lic plate frame and tossing their frame in the trash...

Interesting read twintornados. I've always dealt with Don's Ford where my parents and I have bought numerous cars from Jim Marino since 1991. Still as you said, a sad day. I'm not too fond of Steet-Ponte either.

Actually, I believe the market is very forgiving and when Ford finally decides to revamp Lincoln and do the job properly, buyers will be there.

The real market in the US is Utilities so I don't understand the fixation of delivering sedans first, Lincoln really needs a "Mariner" and an Aviator

those two would compliment the already successful MKX, a refreshed Navigator wouldn't go astray either....

All of those are more urgent than the sedans...

Yeah, Ford is really dragging its feet on at least doing decent refresh of Expedition/Navigator and getting it out some decade. Expedition sales are not that bad for a vehicle that has had little done to it last few years. And with Explorer going to FWD, Expedition/Navigator with their RWD setup make them unique in FWD world. In fact, Ford seems to spend more time on Flex, and I believe the Expedition outsells it and has higher sticker price. Go figure.

Let's hope it's not too little too late. But it may just be. Whatever happens, Ford is going to have to give Lincoln a big marketing budget if and when it gets vehicles that can compete in luxury market against the likes of Lexus, Inifiniti, Acura, and even MB. And let's hope Lincoln sales are not down another 17% for this month also. December is supposed to be great month for luxury market. Lincoln dealers really need a good December with very slow January on its heels. I can't remember the last time I have seen any advertising at all on Navigator. Not even special lease deal. About once a year I will see new Navigator parked out front of Hines Park Lincoln by me. Rest of time only MKZ and MKX, only two vehicles Lincoln markets right now.

We lost our Lincoln dealership as well. It was Lincoln/Volvo combo that I always thought was a little strange seeing that they kind of compete with one another. The only remaining Lincoln dealer is Coccia Ford and Lincoln almost an hour away. At least our Ford dealership is still 5 minutes away and we can take the Lincoln there instead.

We lost our Lincoln dealership as well. It was Lincoln/Volvo combo that I always thought was a little strange seeing that they kind of compete with one another. The only remaining Lincoln dealer is Coccia Ford and Lincoln almost an hour away. At least our Ford dealership is still 5 minutes away and we can take the Lincoln there instead.

You do know that Ford used to own Volvo, right?

It's probably better they lost Lincoln. In fact Ford should cut many more (or at least pair what remains with good progressive Ford dealers) so demand matches the amount of dealers selling them. A standalone Lincoln dealer will have to basically live on the new MKZ and MKX for the next 3 years because the old never changing Navigator and re-grilled MKS and MKT aren't going to keep them in business. Living on 2 vehicle lines can't be easy. Maybe if people had to drive further to find a Lincoln dealer they might put a higher price on ownership of one. True luxury brands aren't known to have a lot of dealers.

• 5 years later...

Time for an update to this thread, the former Ford store in Rome NY that Carbone auto group turned into a large used car lot has been sold. James Provenzano, who runs a couple of dealerships out past Syracuse and Auburn area, bought the dealership location and has turned it into James Mitsubishi and also sells late model used cars. The "Quicklane" sign got a renovation, with the "a" and "n" being replaced by a "u" and an "l", and it is now a "Quicklube" spot....

Oh well, time marches on and, oh yes, new personnel at Steet Ponte Ford/Lincoln sold me a CPO Lincoln MKX three years ago....love the ride and the deal was fine.

Edited by twintornados