Ford Seeks to Make Lincoln a Glamour Car Again

Some interesting peeks here. The visible taillight doesn't seem to go across the back end, but the article says it does. I wonder if this is a concept/production discrepency? Remember, the MKZ concept was first set to debut in LA with the production model at NAIAS. Now that everything got pushed back, I'm unsure of the timetable of the production car's debut if the concept is what's shown in Detroit.

An interesting thing to point out, is that our best insight into this new MKZ didn't come from C/D, R&T, AN, or Wards. It came from access given to the New York Times. That speaks volumes to me, and it says good things about Lincoln "getting" the place they want to occupy in the market.

What I find interesting is that anybody who has seen the MKZ has the same reaction as Rebecca Lindland, the analyst for IHS Automotive. "He (Wolff) is pushing them in a totally different direction,”.........“I almost fell over when I saw it.”

Of course I still expect 50% of BON to hate the thing and the other 50% to say that it looks like a Fusion.

A concept version is a good way of making the production car look like shit, which also explains why everybody thinks it's sexy as frak when they've previewed the car. No thanks!

But curiously, that does not look very concept-like, it even has those ugly reflector strips on the bumper which are usually ignored on concepts.

Edited by BORG
  • Like 1

According to all the press material so far, it is a concept car. Hopefully one not very different from the production version though.

I think its downright stupid to show a MKZ concept in January and then show the production car 3 months later at NY Auto show! WTF

• Like 1

I think its downright stupid to show a MKZ concept in January and then show the production car 3 months later at NY Auto show! WTF

Lincoln is a pretty scatter-brain operation right now, they are probably rushing around trying to figure out how to patch things together last minute. I wouldn't be surprised if this is the result of very very very last minute changes to the MKZ design. The production prototypes look nothing like the front-end glimpsed at in LA and they probably don't have a new production ready prototype to show off in January. Or, it could be that they just need to set a different tone for the MKZ while the Fusion is being unveiled, since both cars share some sheet metal and a concept would do a better job obscuring the similarities. And I'm sure Lincoln doesn't want the MKZ upstaged by the Fusion if those similarities are acknowledged in the press and the MKZ is dismissed as another Fusion badge-over.

Edited by BORG
  • Like 1

A concept version is a good way of making the production car look like shit, which also explains why everybody thinks it's sexy as frak when they've previewed the car. No thanks!

But curiously, that does not look very concept-like, it even has those ugly reflector strips on the bumper which are usually ignored on concepts.

Thats my fear, the concept may be too nice and progressive compared to the actual car. This happened when the showed the original MKZ (actual was a Zephyr then!) as a concept in 2005 that was very full-bodied and sharp, then the production car looked so unexciting.

About the side reflectors, the Zephyr concept didnt have any of those details so this is promising!

• Like 1

I agree, side reflectors are noticably absent on concepts.....the only thing concept here is the wheels.....

Lincoln is a pretty scatter-brain operation right now, they are probably rushing around trying to figure out how to patch things together last minute. I wouldn't be surprised if this is the result of very very very last minute changes to the MKZ design. The production prototypes look nothing like the front-end glimpsed at in LA and they probably don't have a new production ready prototype to show off in January. Or, it could be that they just need to set a different tone for the MKZ while the Fusion is being unveiled, since both cars share some sheet metal and a concept would do a better job obscuring the similarities. And I'm sure Lincoln doesn't want the MKZ upstaged by the Fusion if those similarities are acknowledged in the press and the MKZ is dismissed as another Fusion badge-over.

You should stop making this claim that you can't support. Unless you have seen both the new Fusion and MKZ completely uncloaked (which we know you haven't), you have no right to make this assertion based off prototypes that are heavily camouflaged. X-Ray vision doesn't exist.

Edited by stpatrick90
  • Like 1

Go look at the Vertrek concept and the production Escape and tell me how different they are.

They need to show people what Lincoln is capable of and where they are headed and there is no bigger stage than Detroit.

Don't forget we were supposed to have seen the new MKZ last April. This will be a production MKZ in very thin guise with only minor differences - nothing like the Zephyr concept.

Go look at the Vertrek concept and the production Escape and tell me how different they are.

They need to show people what Lincoln is capable of and where they are headed and there is no bigger stage than Detroit.

Don't forget we were supposed to have seen the new MKZ last April. This will be a production MKZ in very thin guise with only minor differences - nothing like the Zephyr concept.

bingo......

I'm thinking that it is a near production ready concept car and even though Wolfe may have influence over the car,

he was also hired well after the design work had been approved so his reworking could be making this version

a bridge to what he really wants at the MCE....

Just my two cents...

PS, I would love to see Wolfe develop a new top hat for Lincoln MKR and the Aussie Falcon.

it would give Lincoln a CTS/CTS-V car at a fraction of the cost Cadillac spent on Sigma.

Falcon's budget is so tight that we are only glimpsing the true potential of the car,

Edited by jpd80
  • Like 1

I'm thinking that it is a near production ready concept car and even though Wolfe may have influence over the car,

he was also hired well after the design work had been approved so his reworking could be making this version

a bridge to what he really wants at the MCE....

Just my two cents...

I think if it was just a "MCE" then it wouldn't have been delayed so long.

Do keep in mind that the sheetmetal and hardpoints where most likely set into place long before he came on board to Lincoln....I don't think they can totally redesign the sheetmetal in year..I can see the "soft" stuff like the Interior, Front and rear fascias, exterior stick on details can all be changed though.

You missed what i said, this is the new car but since Wolfe was hired after it was started, I'm wondering if

he was able to change the design as much as he wanted of if even more changes will come in a future MCE..

So long as the new styling is liked by Lincoln buyers and attracts more people to it, all will be well..

Do keep in mind that the sheetmetal and hardpoints where most likely set into place long before he came on board to Lincoln....I don't think they can totally redesign the sheetmetal in year..I can see the "soft" stuff like the Interior, Front and rear fascias, exterior stick on details can all be changed though.

Exactly what I meant...:)

Edited by jpd80

You missed what i said, this is the new car but since Wolfe was hired after it was started, I'm wondering if

he was able to change the design as much as he wanted of if even more changes will come in a future MCE..

From the linked article:

Mr. Wolff has been given a free hand to revamp Lincoln, starting with a new version of its midsize MKZ sedan to be revealed at the Detroit auto show in January.

The article makes no hedges about his late arrival or lack of ability to influence the design of the MKZ. In fact, just the opposite. Unless Ford starts issuing hedging statements closer to NAIAS, this is his baby.

Fusion/MKZ is a new chassis, not an MCE. The over-all sheet metal on the MKZ was designed before Max arrived. He made some changes which is why the delay. Maybe on this MKZ's future MCE, some 2-3 years from now, we will see more of Max's direction. :)

Fusion/MKZ is a new chassis, not an MCE. The over-all sheet metal on the MKZ was designed before Max arrived. He made some changes which is why the delay. Maybe on this MKZ's future MCE, some 2-3 years from now, we will see more of Max's direction. :)

I know exactly what it is and what MCE means. I was referring to jpd80s comment that since it was already in progress when Max arrived that this would represent more of a "MCE" in terms of how much could be changed.

And what I'm saying is that if he was only making "MCE" like tweaks then it would have been ready a lot sooner. They did the new Taurus in 24 months.

I think he made extensive changes and that's why it was delayed. Of course I could be wrong.

Haha, thanks. Since GMI's atrocious redesign, I can barely stomach trying to navigate that morass, so I think I'm going to try and participate more in this neck of woods.

bout time you pulled a Mitt Romney....glad to see you back on our side...