Avon Lake building Transit ?

jeter3000

• 2 weeks later...

There are many manufacturers building comparable products, it is an aggressive market segment. What is the current volume being produced in Mexico currently? These trucks go to the commercial market, and being that construction is down, I would not expect it be be a high volume seller. OHAP got sold out, and like I predicted KC is not going anywhere. It is in the dead center of the US, and in the middle of the North American Free Trade Route. Because of it's location it is the safest plant in the system, with the exception of the Rouge complex for sentimental reasons.

Edited by Furious1Auto

There are many manufacturers building comparable products, it is an aggressive market segment. What is the current volume being produced in Mexico currently? These trucks go to the commercial market, and being that construction is down, I would not expect it be be a high volume seller.

The volume for the F650/750 will be less than the E-series that are leaving. I suspect that most F650/750 are made into "box" trucks for local delivery and not that many used in construction.

GM is out of that market and I think Ford will be the only major player with a gasoline/CNG engine available. CNG is more $1.50 less per "gasoline gallon equivalent" than diesel fuel. The CNG conversion probably is about the same as the cost of the diesel option.

The volume for the F650/750 will be less than the E-series that are leaving. I suspect that most F650/750 are made into "box" trucks for local delivery and not that many used in construction.

GM is out of that market and I think Ford will be the only major player with a gasoline/CNG engine available. CNG is more $1.50 less per "gasoline gallon equivalent" than diesel fuel. The CNG conversion probably is about the same as the cost of the diesel option.

S2010017.JPG

There are many manufacturers still selling comparable vehicles. If you like I can name, and provide pics of all of them. Can't see this F-series truck being used for anything but construction. I attempted to find the sales info for 2011, to see just how many Ford has sold YTD, and in previous years, but I cannot find this info. Would also be nice to know just how many Mexicans it takes to build a 6/7 hundred F-Series. Are you guys also going to be building the Sterling variant?

2005-Sterling-Dump-truck-frt-475x356.jpg

Ford use to sell in this market, and sold the light truck, and semi truck segment to Sterling. That ended the production of the F9000, and the Aeromax. I loved the 9000 I drove.

5454122557_91917bbb10.jpg

Sterling sells their trucks at Ford's dealer network, and have for years. Valley Ford Truck in Cleveland has them in stock! Check them out their really nice, and have the best turning radius of any big truck on and off the road. Remember the Semi truck that was the prize in the arm wrestling competition in the movie "Over The Top"? Sylvester Stallone won a Ford AeroMax truck to restart his life. Fords biggest competitor in this market will be Freightliner, they are the top seller. I drove truck for 8 years before coming to work in Lorain Assembly Plant. The CNG powerplant is new and experimental in a market where there are many established reputable manufacturers building like products. If it is worth it's salt, it will still take time to build notoriety. :shades:

Edited by Furious1Auto

That big red beauty at the top of your post is whats coming. In addition are 2 motorhome frames.

I could never find sales numbers either. I even contacted Ford. They told me to call a dealer??? LOL.

I pulled this statement from a senior forum member at another site.....

The September issue of 'Heavy Duty Trucking' (a trucking trade magazine) published year to date total sales for Ford in class 6 and 7 (that would include F-650 and F-750 models) at 6496 units through July. This post dated 10-17-2011

I don't have the magazine nor could i find it viewable online so it's not been proven.

We run 740 Econolines per day, working 4 days per week. Not going to build that many of those 6/7 series. Never has Sterling been mentioned, so I'm pretty sure it's not included.

From Chronicle article the day it was announced...."The brief state announcement indicated the credit would help retain about 1,400 jobs at the plant "

We'll know for sure in a couple years.

That big red beauty at the top of your post is whats coming. In addition are 2 motorhome frames.

I could never find sales numbers either. I even contacted Ford. They told me to call a dealer??? LOL.

The September issue of 'Heavy Duty Trucking' (a trucking trade magazine) published year to date total sales for Ford in class 6 and 7 (that would include F-650 and F-750 models) at 6496 units through July. This post dated 10-17-2011

I don't have the magazine nor could i find it viewable online so it's not been proven.

We run 740 Econolines per day, working 4 days per week. Not going to build that many of those 6/7 series. Never has Sterling been mentioned, so I'm pretty sure it's not included.

From Chronicle article the day it was announced...."The brief state announcement indicated the credit would help retain about 1,400 jobs at the plant "

I thought the motorhome chassis was going to be the econoline. What are they going to build class C motorhomes on?

If the new powerplant is durable, and get's the suggested fuel economy in the future it should bear some fruit. The problem with the market this appliance serves is that the buyers aren't very sophisticated, and not susceptible to change. It will take time.

Sterling went out of business a couple of years ago. The were owned by Daimler.

I thought the motorhome chassis was going to be the econoline. What are they going to build class C motorhomes on?

Are class C's the ones with the cutaway cab?

I think they call these frames F53 and F59? I've never heard those names before, so I think they're the larger, more bus-like motorhomes....that and this is work being insourced meaning it's not here now so it's likely unrelated to the current Econoline.

Are class C's the ones with the cutaway cab?

I think they call these frames F53 and F59? I've never heard those names before, so I think they're the larger, more bus-like motorhomes....that and this is work being insourced meaning it's not here now so it's likely unrelated to the current Econoline.

F -cutaway and stripped chassis based on the F550 currently built at KTP.

Research Ward's Auto from a company computer (Ford supplies all employees with a subscription to their online data) and a dismal 30 or so units produced by Blue Diamond on a monthly basis over the past year or so. This is what memory serves me as reported production.

Does NOT look good for 2013 at OHAP if you have less than 25 years.

To quote a sheet the union handed out @ Sandusky this morning (12.21.2011).

"OHAP - The E-series van should balance out sometine in 2014, when the medium truck and motorhome chassis arrive from Mexico. Due to lower production volumes of these new products, OHAP will eventually lose 103 jobs. However, they may need as many as 132 people to fill short term needs, due to employees there signing for transfer to LAP."

And your point? I suppose these are high volume selling daily drivers also? Obviously customized by aftermarket up fitters. Question is how many jobs will this product retain, and what will be the life of the product at OHAP? Will it be like the 550 in Lorain, and short lived?

Isnt this a site for Ford employees? I watched a boss chase you off the motor line a couple of weeks ago? You sure do spend a bunch of time concerned about your previous place of employment !!

• Like 1

Isnt this a site for Ford employees? I watched a boss chase you off the motor line a couple of weeks ago? You sure do spend a bunch of time concerned about your previous place of employment !!

Hmm, you saw me, didn't have anything smart to say to me, why here? You know who I am, how bout tell me who you are?

Last notification I got from Ford was a pension eligibility form from the NESC! Retirees aren't allowed to post? I'll post where I like! :shades:

Edited by Furious1Auto

S2010017.JPG

There are many manufacturers still selling comparable vehicles. If you like I can name, and provide pics of all of them. Can't see this F-series truck being used for anything but construction.

Most dumps around where I live are Class 8.

I'm not saying that there will not be any F650/750 dumps, just that I think more will be made into "box" (delivery) trucks.

Ford use to sell in this market, and sold the light truck, and semi truck segment to Sterling. That ended the production of the F9000, and the Aeromax. I loved the 9000 I drove.

Ford NEVER sold the light or medium duty truck business to Sterling !

Medium duty (F650/750) moved to Mexico when Ford formed a joint venture with International called Blue Diamond. It appears that the Blue Diamond JV will be terminated in 2014.

The CNG powerplant is new and experimental in a market where there are many established reputable manufacturers building like products. If it is worth it's salt, it will still take time to build notoriety. :shades:

The 6.8L 2 valve V10 engine has bee around since 1997. The 3 valve version showed up in the F450/550 in 2005).

CNG technology is FAR from "experimental" ! There are thousands of CNG vehicles on the road in the US. You have been able to buy a either a 5.4L V8 or 6.8L V10 in a E250/350 for several years now. At&T own a fair number (sorry, no exact figures).

The V10 costs a lot less than a diesel, plus gasoline cost less than diesel. If the cost of gasoline keeps dropping, CNG will not be a viable option (IMHO, there needs to be more than a $0.75 per gallon difference to make CNG cost effective.)

The only issue is will the 3v V10 is does it have enough power. The customers will tell Ford that !

Seriously, this Ford Truck is not the same as the Sterling. How was Sterling able to use Ford's design?

1997%20Ford%20Aeromax.jpg

usf_holland_21170_2001_sterling.jpg

Only half a millian on the road, but I guess it has to be a photoshop.

I'm asking for previous, and projected sales figures, and how many jobs it will retain and you want to dicker over semantics!

This was my favorite truck, mine had a 425 Caterpillar engine. Charlie Shaw probably still owns it. Never put Timken products on a Ford they are junk.

TH_1.jpg

Edited by Furious1Auto