2008 Focus Sedan Shots

I for one would never consider a Focus sedan, but I'd consider the wagon or 5 door hatch. I was loking at the Focus wagon befor getting my Montego, as well as the Mazda6 hatch and wagon. I dropped the Focus because it wasn't readily available with side airbags and curtains weren't even offered, the Mazda 6 wasn't readily available in anything other than fully loaded configurations at the time (fall 2005) the FiveHundred & Montego were the only sedans I even considered lagerly because of the huge trunk and fold down seats. My ideal vehicle would be something the C-Max or Mazda 5,but the 5's mileage figures area bit disappointing. Oh well.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I only buy hatchbacks, given the choice.

Try lifting and lowering a Fender Twin or an Ampeg combo with JBL's into the trunk — gently, don't jolt the tubes — of anything. Add an icy winter parking spot. Think of it as the heaviest suitcase you've ever picked up, now add 30 pounds — those output transformers are heavy. If you don't pump iron or bowflex, that's why hatchbacks, unless you really like visiting the chiropractor.

Then, when you get home, you get the thrill of getting the sumbitch boat anchor out of the trunk, again with no scuffing and banging.

Even more challenging is trying to get the lump in and out of the back seat of a 2-dr.

That's why roadies and/or hatchbacks were invented. :)

the truth is C170 is still the best FWD platform out there ... regardeless of what you compare it to. Even the C1 is not as good - it is too large - too bulky, too heavy compared to C170 and provides no real advantage over the C170 - it simply happens to carry better cars, but not due to the platform....

the Focus needs a serious help - and wil be moved to c2 I will bet $5 over Paypal on this - but C170 is simply a magnificient platform that could easilly suport vehicles for another 20 years - there is absolutely nothing wrong with it - Cobalt, Corolla, Spectra Civic cannot even dream about touching the stiffness and handlingof this platform - the MkV Golf platform is the oly one that gets a little cloe - but still no turkey.

Igor

C170 is out dated.

C1 is SOOO big I mean damn it grew 1" in height, 1.8" in width and 2 inches in length.

ITS HUGE!!!!!!!!!!!

IT is heavy, damn 2800lbs, 100lbs more.

well shit, it also was the best performing car EVAR tested in european crash tests. have you even driven a S40, or Mazda3???? I have and they are MUCH better in NVH,ride, handling, and light years ahead in features.

Features

Bluetooth

Sat/NAV

performance

Blah, Blah

As to the other Bullshit.

C1 is 10% stiffer

The front subframe is 150% stiffer and rubber isolated, For better handling, and NVH.

what about the improved Frontal and side impact protection?

what about the FACT that the less agressive Focus ST, being faster the the too harsh Focus RS, being faster , handling better and being more comfortable.

C1 Fit 18" wheels without the special fenders and torque steer fo the RS.

Electric-Hydraulic Power Assisted Steering (EHPAS), For better Economy.

BTW Where are my F'N SIDE AIR CURTAINS???????????

NOT DUE TO THE PLATFORM, YOU HAVE LOST YOUR MF'N MIND.

WHAT THE F$%^ IS WRONG WITH YOU.

Is anyone here still denying that C1 is better?

Ford can only make $$ on the C1 if they build them in Japan, or call them Volvos and prices them at 40K$

And the MZ3 doesn't handle as well as the old Protege anyway. And the C1 hatch looks like a huge cockroach, no teen male will want to be seen in one, too feminine looking. Honda would walk all over it, and Ford would not be able to price C1's higher than Civics and Corollas. Unless they make them in non union plants.

It would be a shame to lose the ZX5 because I feel it's the best looking Focus. It, a Focus wagon and a PTcruiser were on my short list last summer when I went shopping for a multiple utility vehicle that wasn't too big and looked cool (to me anyway). Thus, I bought a PTC, which, with the seats taken out of the back can be quite handy when hauling furniture from Ikea or moving from one address to another. I like the retro look of the Croozer any way, because I love cars from the 30's more than from any other auto era. Sometimes I wish I would'va bought a ZW5 with the 2.3 because it is probably a bit quicker than the PTC. (whish, BTW, is not an slow as many people think--and is built on chassis components of a Neon, not a Neon chassis et al) My wife is currently driving a 1992 Saturn SL2 with over 212,000 miles on it. She wants a 5-door hatch because she favors the styling and also likes the utility value. She favors the Mazda3 based on appearance and the 160hp it has. She alos liked the Matrix until she started reading about the Mazda, but we won't decide until next year as we have other priorities. A new car will have to wait. Ford has so many cool models in Europe that would be cool here. Why don't they do some good old fashioned market research and run those modles by Americans to see what they think? Or it that using such a simple stratedgy that is would be too obvious?

It's going to take at least 3 years AFTER 2008 before you see a new Focus based on any sort of new platform. This Focus is here to stay for quite a while longer. So I wouldn't be waiting for anything at this time.

The Focus is also a lost cause because it has a very bad reputation and is largely sold to fleet customers. No update will be able to cure that. The Focus needs to be phased out and replaced as the Taurus has been. I would not give ANY weight to the C2 rumour, instead I would look for a series of small cars based on the next gen Mazda platforms.

I've learned to watch out for a specific formula when it comes to anticipating Ford's next cars.

It won't happen if...

1.) The chasis is engineered in the EU before it's considered for NA

2.) The car interests enthusiasts (usually that means they are niche players and Ford doesn't do small volumes)

Edited by BORG

The C170 is better for Ford North America at this very moment and the next 2 years till Ford can build a new plant or totally retool Wanye with new equipment and work agreement.

I want to respond to the original question "anyone here still denies C1 is better" - I DO

I owned a 2005 Focus and own a 2004 Mazda3 ... and while the CAR built on the C1 is better, the C170 handled better, and was lighter .... C1 is simple C170 that grew a bit - it is safer, but from the usual perspective of an average driver, the platform is still on par with C1, and way ahead of anything else on the market - if only Ford could decide to build a good car on it.

Igor

It's going to take at least 3 years AFTER 2008 before you see a new Focus based on any sort of new platform. This Focus is here to stay for quite a while longer. So I wouldn't be waiting for anything at this time.

Because the universe would end and the Cubs would win the World Series if Ford replaced a vehicle LESS than three years after a substantial redesign: Kids you have the BORG's word on that.

Ford replacing a vehicle less than three years after a major redesign is like exceeding the speed of light. It's a known physical impossibility.

Because the universe would end and the Cubs would win the World Series if Ford replaced a vehicle LESS than three years after a substantial redesign: Kids you have the BORG's word on that.

Ford replacing a vehicle less than three years after a major redesign is like exceeding the speed of light. It's a known physical impossibility.

Give me an example of where that trend has been broken at FoMoCo! I've seen major redesigns followed by cancellation within the next 2 model years, but never a subsequent replacement within 3 years. I still believe Ford intends never to replace the Focus and will instead work on a different approach to the segment and the Focus will be phased into fleet oblivion like the Taurus. From what I can see, the updated Focus won't do much to carry the Focus much farther. The new B-car products, combined with the Fusion, will probably make the Focus irrelevent.

Fusion is a D and Focus is a C, how can they abandon the C? BORG predicted the Escape would flop and that the Ridgeline would overtake the truck market. Who are you going to believe?

Huh? I predicted what about the Ridgeline?

And I said the Escape will lose sales to the Edge. I can't be proven wrong yet.

And who said there are strictly defined car classes in this country? Things are blurry and I'm speculating that the Focus will be replaced by Fords late decade small car program. We're talking about multiple cars on a single Mazda derived platform which will proably be adapted for US consumption as the CD3 was. With the I4 Fusion close to the Focus in price and content, the next small car will have to be a bit different and more affordable.

Edited by BORG

Give me an example of where that trend has been broken at FoMoCo!

I'm going to go with the '87 & '89 Cougar & T-Bird.

Do you see how pointless it is to dredge up instances of past policy? Manifestly what Ford did in the past did not work. Why you assume that they would continue business as usual completely confounds me.

I'm going to go with the '87 & '89 Cougar & T-Bird.

Do you see how pointless it is to dredge up instances of past policy? Manifestly what Ford did in the past did not work. Why you assume that they would continue business as usual completely confounds me.

This is not about policy, this about economics. You don't throw money at a product knowing you are replacing it within 2 years, especially Ford which isn't hesitant to cancel or delay projects and products.

And my chief argument remains. The Focus is no longer a good companion to the Focus and has a bad reputation as a fleet hog and quality headache. I'm anticipating that Ford isn't going to invest in two small car platforms around the same time. There will be one that underpins multiple cars, like the D3 underpins the 500 and Freestyle, the CD3 underpins the Fusion and Edge. The next small car will probably underpin the Focus replacement and the hatch model.

Edited by BORG

Ford can only make $$ on the C1 if they build them in Japan, or call them Volvos and prices them at 40K$

And the MZ3 doesn't handle as well as the old Protege anyway. And the C1 hatch looks like a huge cockroach, no teen male will want to be seen in one, too feminine looking. Honda would walk all over it, and Ford would not be able to price C1's higher than Civics and Corollas. Unless they make them in non union plants.

who told you that the old protege handled better?

630land here are your options

A: give up and keep losing money on C170for the Forseeable future.

B: invest money in a better product that could command a higher price, and it also could fail. losing as much as we are today.

I want to respond to the original question "anyone here still denies C1 is better" - I DO

I owned a 2005 Focus and own a 2004 Mazda3 ... and while the CAR built on the C1 is better, the C170 handled better, and was lighter .... C1 is simple C170 that grew a bit - it is safer, but from the usual perspective of an average driver, the platform is still on par with C1, and way ahead of anything else on the market - if only Ford could decide to build a good car on it.

Igor

Igor what makes the MZ3 a better car? The enormus lighted glove box? The fancy itegrated radio/HVAC controls? the overall inteior quality? The exterior quality?

Did I mention that the MZ3 and C1 don't drive alike, and that The Focus is the best handling C1 variant, even mazda admits that Ford will allow for more neutral handling than they would. I belive that you would like the C1focus better than the C170 Focus.

because of the volume and tremendous cost savings, From global product development. you can afford a fully electronic car.

the electrical system on C1 was developed to be able to use premeium features like those above, without adding so much cost. the car use a fully digital electical system, where electronic modules are like blocks and can be altered to meet the needs of many

different markets. to have a somehting as simple as global opening on the side windows, would require an all new electrical system for the older C170 without the benifit of global product development, to spread costs. , right now the 2007 focus electrical system is not much differnet from a car form the early to mid 90s, basic and not easily altered to meet the needs of more modern features.

the only digtal electrical system on the C170 focus conectes the ICluster to the motor, the rest is wire, 40lbs of wire.

You can't go From C170 --> ~ C1 without redoing the original developmet that brought C1 in ht first place.

C1 afterall is an improved C170. Ford N.A. cannot afford to do that. thus the 2008 will suck like the 2006 sucks.

Edited by Biker16

You can't go From C170 --> ~ C1 without redoing the original developmet that brought C1 in ht first place.

C1 afterall is an improved C170. Ford N.A. cannot afford to do that. thus the 2008 will suck like the 2006 sucks.

Why is the 2008 going to suck like a 2006 model? We dont even know what the final design looks like yet. The biggest problem with the 05 Model was the halfassed restyling and chinzy interior, which according to rumor have been corrected for 2008.

People who who buy the Focus aren't going to care what platform its built on, they are going to care about how it looks and feels. The C170 is more then capabile to hold over Ford till the B-cars and C2 come online in 2010 or so.

We can argue all day long about what Ford chould of and should of done, but what we have is what we have to deal with and there is nothing that can change that now.

Why is the 2008 going to suck like a 2006 model? We dont even know what the final design looks like yet. The biggest problem with the 05 Model was the halfassed restyling and chinzy interior, which according to rumor have been corrected for 2008.

People who who buy the Focus aren't going to care what platform its built on, they are going to care about how it looks and feels. The C170 is more then capabile to hold over Ford till the B-cars and C2 come online in 2010 or so.

We can argue all day long about what Ford chould of and should of done, but what we have is what we have to deal with and there is nothing that can change that now.

fine give some way to mesure the success of the 2008 Focus when it comes out?

I would be highly impressesed if they maintain volume.

if they can reduce incentives to a $1000 rebate, I would be impressed.

I don't think the american people will buy a 2000 Focus with Fusion nose. IMNSO.

I think it will be as sucessful as the 2005 Focus is - 24%.

The 05 Redesigned faild of boring esterior and atrocious interior ...

Biker16 .. the Mz3 to me is a better car, because it has the features I like, it has an interior I like and it looks better --- it is a better car -- well- let's say a better car for me ....

but C17 is a better platform than Mz3 ... I nevercrove C1 focus.. and if it does handle differenty, I might like it more than the C170 focus, but the thing is... C1 = larger stiffer safer C170.. it does nto improve on the catual suspension... and the stiffness is only marginal ... C170 was and is a great platform... it just needs a car that people wil not smirk on ...

a car with new styling, good interior and good upscale options....

Sorry for the half assed response, but i have to run to a meeting.

Igor

fine give some way to mesure the success of the 2008 Focus when it comes out?

I would be highly impressesed if they maintain volume.

if they can reduce incentives to a $1000 rebate, I would be impressed.

I don't think the american people will buy a 2000 Focus with Fusion nose. IMNSO.

I think it will be as sucessful as the 2005 Focus is - 24%.

I think you've got to at least wait and see the final product before passing judgment. Granted, I don't really have my hopes up, but in my mind best-case scenario is the 2008 Focus doesn't look anything like the current Focus even though certain key parts (like the greenhouse) are still carryover. The roofline of the current Focus is fine - it's the droopy nose and boring rear that kill the sedan for me. Deep down I hope Ford manages to pull off what Toyota just did with the Camry - carryover key structural points but make it LOOK all new. Everything underneath the car is fine - power is good, chassis is good, ride and handling are excellent - just replace the body sitting atop it!

I think you've got to at least wait and see the final product before passing judgment. Granted, I don't really have my hopes up, but in my mind best-case scenario is the 2008 Focus doesn't look anything like the current Focus even though certain key parts (like the greenhouse) are still carryover. The roofline of the current Focus is fine - it's the droopy nose and boring rear that kill the sedan for me. Deep down I hope Ford manages to pull off what Toyota just did with the Camry - carryover key structural points but make it LOOK all new. Everything underneath the car is fine - power is good, chassis is good, ride and handling are excellent - just replace the body sitting atop it!

Exactly!!!!!

I have no idea why everyone is so hell bent in replacing a platform that is still light years ahead of a lot of the competition.

Exactly!!!!!

I have no idea why everyone is so hell bent in replacing a platform that is still light years ahead of a lot of the competition.

The only practical aspect of building the C1/C2 over the C170 right now is that its a more flexible platform that would allow more models to be built off it. But as it stands now with Ford and its finacinal shape, the C170 with a major upgrade can hold on for another 3-4 years till that becomes a reality.

Also a switchover to a C1/C2 platform will not guarntee an increase in sales or an instant change in the current perception of the Focus.

The only practical aspect of building the C1/C2 over the C170 right now is that its a more flexible platform that would allow more models to be built off it. But as it stands now with Ford and its finacinal shape, the C170 with a major upgrade can hold on for another 3-4 years till that becomes a reality.

Also a switchover to a C1/C2 platform will not guarntee an increase in sales or an instant change in the current perception of the Focus.

Because they drove the name into the ground, just like they did with the taurus. It takes time to change perception but it will never change if they don't offer what they are capable of.

Maybe if they designed a car without the anticipation of discounting it than maybe the vehicle will sell without discounting it.

Edited by DCK

Because they drove the name into the ground, just like they did with the taurus. It takes time to change perception but it will never change if they don't offer what they are capable of.

Maybe if they designed a car without the anticipation of discounting it than maybe the vehicle will sell without discounting it.

that is true .... but your comment has no correlation with the platform it is built on - the C170 really simply needs a good car to ride on.

Igor