2008 Focus Sedan Shots

but C17 is a better platform than Mz3 ... I nevercrove C1 focus.. and if it does handle differenty, I might like it more than the C170 focus, but the thing is... C1 = larger stiffer safer C170.. it does nto improve on the catual suspension... and the stiffness is only marginal ... C170 was and is a great platform... it just needs a car that people wil not smirk on ...

In you opinoin C1 carrysover the C170 design. that is true for the most part.

but the improvements start with stiffer stronger subframes both front an rear. The Front subframe was designed to be 250% stiffer and rubber isolated, on C170 you have a softer subframe, to compensate For direct mounting of the frame to the body, For the lower control arms C170 pioneered the "voided bushing" At the rear end of it L-shaped lower arm. This was good For ride, but allowed for messy wheel hop and deflection during braking. C1 due to its stiffer subframe mounted Via rubber bushings, you can better tune the suspension to perform at it limits.

At the rear the changes were less revolutionay, the goal was to increase stiffness of the subframes to handle the greater mass requirements. all the links were strengthened and made more robust, The shock mounts were redesigned for better isolation, the rear bar links were redone to reduce friction.

the result is that C1 handles as well as C170 while riding better.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^^^Thanks for the tech info ... I never knew..

but I still have a question - is it worth bringing over the C1 platform for some 3 year run over the option of having a well designed car on the C170

Truth to be told the EU Focus was always better than the US counterpart - for example, the interior was made of diferent materials - had the Ford NA of 2003 worked on a C1 Focus for US, I am quite sure the end product would have been quite worse than the EU C1 Focus ... not worse than the 2005 US Focus, but I am not sure it would have been beter than the 2008 C170 Focus can be.

I really agree with what Focaljet-1 said "if the car looks great and has a great interior, who cares what platform it rides on" ..

To be honest, I do not think the C2 US Focus can come fast enough.. and I would still prefer Ford do not another rework - I think Ford would do well to keep the Focus low key and then make a big deal "rebirth of Focus" campaign with the all new one. But if the new one is not coming until 2009 (2010 MY), it could be too long for the tired old 2005 Focus without tarnishing the name to much.

Igor

Edited by igor

Maybe if they designed a car without the anticipation of discounting it than maybe the vehicle will sell without discounting it.

I agree with you on that, but its a given fact that a mass market car will be offered with some sort of inventives on it. The only car that doesnt have some sort of money on the hood from Ford is the GT, Mustang GT, and the F-450 and above.

The Focus is a prime example of how things went totally wrong for Ford from 2000 till current. Horrible launch, recalls, shoddy build quaitly then to make matters worse, a halfass restyling with major decontenting done to it in the 2005 car. All are a serious reflection of the piss poor planning and management of Ford's car development.

The good thing is that it looks like starting with the 500, Ford has gotten its act together with launching and designing cars and not letting them rot on the vine. Hopefully the refresh next year takes care of the styling issues and the 3.5L takes care of the supposed power issues.

Perhaps the most interesting thing is will Ford keep the Focus name around. I'm not sure how badly the first Corrola was in the states, but it still has the same name after 30+ years.