2013 Ford Fusion Introduced!

Blue Oval Guide

FTFY

There will be a sportier version - just not right away. Don't forget they're introducing essentially 4 new powertrains with the 2013 already. They only have so many resources.

I know it's a business, but where's the pride? I remember when Ford replaced the 1973 Mustang with the "all-new" 1974 Mustang II, which was not more than a dolled-up Pinto. Sure it got better gas mileage in the midst of a gas crisis, and it set higher sales records than Mustang had seen in quite a while. But now, watch a classic car auction. The 1971-1973 Mustangs are not as prized as the 1964-1970 models, but no one wants to even talk about the Mustang II, and I've never seen one cross the stage. It's so unloved now, it's as if it never existed. Extreme example, I know, and the new Fusion will sell well on looks alone, but car companies should be run by guys that love cars and want to put out products that are competitive in ALL areas, not just accountants that only care about short-term profits.

Ending rant now... ;)

I love ya Ford, I want to come back. Build an affordable, fun sedan for family men (& women) that still like to floor it now & then.

I know it's a business, but where's the pride? I remember when Ford replaced the 1973 Mustang with the "all-new" 1974 Mustang II, which was not more than a dolled-up Pinto. Sure it got better gas mileage in the midst of a gas crisis, and it set higher sales records than Mustang had seen in quite a while. But now, watch a classic car auction. The 1971-1973 Mustangs are not as prized as the 1964-1970 models, but no one wants to even talk about the Mustang II, and I've never seen one cross the stage. It's so unloved now, it's as if it never existed. Extreme example, I know, and the new Fusion will sell well on looks alone, but car companies should be run by guys that love cars and want to put out products that are competitive in ALL areas, not just accountants that only care about short-term profits.

Ending rant now... ;)

I love ya Ford, I want to come back. Build an affordable, fun sedan for family men (& women) that still like to floor it now & then.

The 2.0 EB will be very close to the current Sport. Why don't you try driving it before passing judgement?

Ford Europe has been using the 2.0L EcoBoost since 2010 in the S-Max and Mondeo. Offered in 2 power outputs 203hp and 240hp.

And the 1.6L EcoBoost 150hp and 182hp and was 1st launched in the redesigned 2010 C-Max , then added to the new Focus.

Both EB's were launched at the 2009 Frankfurt Motor Show http://frankfurt2009.fordmedia.eu/index.php?pageID=3&lang=eng

Edited by MKII

The 2.0 EB will be very close to the current Sport. Why don't you try driving it before passing judgement?

Because the current Sport isn't competitive performance-wise with its competition, and the 2013 2.0EB has less horsepower than that. I'm not optomistic.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey all...I'm not sure where you all live and drive, but I do a majority of my driving in the city, on congested freeways, with photo radar lurking, and can never utilize even the 160HP of my 2012 Focus (5-speed manual). My last car was a 2010 4 cyl Fusion with a 6-speed manual, and I have to say it was the manual transmission that made the car fun to drive, not the lask of horsepower or torque. With the Focus I average 35 MPG, and the Fusion was 31 MPG. I grew up with big horsepower V8s, and if I made the transition, anyone can. I sometimes chuckle at the Porsche driver stuck next to me, crawling along at 20 miles per hour, knowing he's frustrated, and knowing the rest of the time he's getting 15 MPG. Do you really race against 280 horsepower Sonatas or Camrys? Do you have to tow a horse trailer? I think times are changing, and we have to get used to it. I'm considering a 1.6L EB, manual trans 2013 Fusion as my next car......just waiting to see an order guide! Why throw money down the drain (or out the tailpiipe) and make oil futures traders rich?

Because the current Sport isn't competitive performance-wise with its competition, and the 2013 2.0EB has less horsepower than that. I'm not optomistic.

What exactly is its "competition"? That's the whole reason I don't think Ford cares much about directly replacing it right away. The market for the Sport is very, very limited. The bulk of the midsize market is looking for 4 cylinders and fuel economy. If you want a sports sedan, I guess you'll have to look elsewhere. Most sports sedan shoppers already were anyway.

What exactly is its "competition"? That's the whole reason I don't think Ford cares much about directly replacing it right away. The market for the Sport is very, very limited. The bulk of the midsize market is looking for 4 cylinders and fuel economy. If you want a sports sedan, I guess you'll have to look elsewhere. Most sports sedan shoppers already were anyway.

Interesting point Nick I had a 4 cylinder SEL Fusion for 2 years and loved it. Got 34 mpg on the highway. My lease was expiring and the 2013 is a long way off so I went with a 2012 V-6 Sport AWD. The incentives were too good to ignore. My payment actually went DOWN ffrom the 4 cylinder SEL. Love the Sport, it's quick and sharp looking but I really miss the gas mileage of the 4. Can't wait for the new model-when the lease is up I'll jump right into the EcoBoost 4.

• 3 weeks later...

Test drive the 2.0L EcoBoost before forming your opinion, this powertrain just might surprise you. The 2.0L EB will have more torque then your current V6, and available torque from very low down in the rpm range. You won't have to be in the 4000+ rpm range to get that nice pull.

Check it out before dissing it.

Agree the eco-boost surprised me when i was test driving other vehicles before deciding on the fusion.

I'll have to wait 3 years for the new body style though :(

• 3 weeks later...

Can anyone confirm where the Hybrid is being built.

I know for the most part Fusions are built in Mexico.. but just wondering if the hybrid is out of Flat Rock?

PS

I am ready to trade my 2007 Ford Edge for the new HOT Fusion...

Loved the Edge - but its time to let go and get some better fuel economy.

Can anyone confirm where the Hybrid is being built.

I know for the most part Fusions are built in Mexico.. but just wondering if the hybrid is out of Flat Rock?

PS

I am ready to trade my 2007 Ford Edge for the new HOT Fusion...

Loved the Edge - but its time to let go and get some better fuel economy.

All Fusions are built in Mexico. Flat Rock has to be shut down and revamped before Fusion production begins sometime in 2013.

Thanks for the replies.

Will definitely need to test drive the hybrid and 2.0L EB.

Might even try out the new escape.

Hopefully some good incentives during the summer during the employee pricing sale.

My brother works at OAC - so just waiting to see how it all looks and drives in person.