2010 Mustang Shakes When Breaking the Tires Loose

roadhawg

I have a 2010 Mustang GT that has been a kick in the pants to drive. But nearly every time I break the tires loose while accelerating, the rear end starts shaking until I get off the gas. This can't be normal. Has anybody else experienced this and what can be done??

Google 'Wheel Hop". Normal.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

It does sound like wheel hop. My Boss is terrible when it is cold. Pirelli’s bounce hard until the outside temp is above 70.

Several owners have posted about this problem. Few mention shocks as the cause. Tires which are two years old and a bit harder now could also contribute to the problem.

Most wheel hop occurs when the tires are loaded, when upper hard acceleration which causes the Lower control Arms to deflect or flex. When the deflection is at max and or the wheels loose traction because of the shortened length of the LCA, the tires loose traction and the wheel unload only to repeat sometimes several time a second. The effect is felt as wheel hop. The end effect is the hop as well as reduced traction and acceleration.

The cure can vary. Some have fixed the issue by installing a more rigid LCA. Other have installed, LCAs, Upper control arm, LCA mount relocation brackets, new drive shaft etc.

In my case I waited for the weather to warm up. Hop is now gone, At least until the weather cools off. New NITTOs, I hope, will also have a positive effect on wheel hop.

Edited by TMSBOSS

• 3 months later...