And where is OUR Dr. Z?

Well, I can't pronounce his name never mind spell it, but it does appear that DCX is taking full advatage of this guys many talents.Not only does he have obvious managerial skills but the guy is a colorful personality as well who gets the consumers attention.

If "Z" was in Bill's shoes, what do you suppose Dr. Z's response would have been to all the analysts who quickly jumped on the Ford quarterly results calling for prompt action.

My bet is he would have said ..."We (okay maybe "VEE") have a plan in place and we will see it through." Billy on the other hand jumps up like a lap dog and immediately calls for more cuts! Yes sir, nothing like chopping the hell out of an organization to force your way to profitability! Some conviction would be nice right about now wouldn't it?u

And on another note, Ford is criticized for plant utilization at the 79% level. Ok all you auto mfg. experts, what IS a realistic number? Seems to me 79 isn't bad. If its much closer to 100, what is your ability to respond to upturns in the cycle? If only demand were in a flat line!.

God, I hope Ford doesn't do something like the Doctor Z commercials.

I hate those things. The most annoying, condescending commercials I have seen in a while.

Ahhhh yes........... the Master race............

I could not agree more with you!!!

They are on TV almost non-stop, and I think I will try changing the channel, but that wont do any good since they will probably be on the next one!!!

I find it possible to like, buy and be loyal to Ford and also appreciate other accomplishments by DCX or GM...

Do you suppose there might be a lesson or example there???

I get tired of of always hearing negativity about everything, let's work on that and see how it goes....

Our Dr. Z is Bill, he is leading in a pretty good fashion, despite constant sniping from practically every moron who thinks they could do better.....if you can, call him and put your $$ where your whining is.....

Jac Nassar should still be credited for his role in Ford's position, it is gonna take 3-5 more ywears to get their shit together again.

The UAW should look at working to be an active part of the solution as well, not just a part of the problem.

Labor & Management need each other, you would think they could recognize that simple fact and work to it. :shrug:

100% means you are working the plant capacity at 40 hours.

Well if 100% is based on 40 hours and that is the industry standard, I really am learning something. 100% in my mind is three 8 hour shifts a day or possibly two shifts at 10 hours. Recognizing that a manufacturing system requires a lot of maintenance and it all can't be production, I don't see how anyone can justify multiple plants if 40 hours is a standard. Obviously distribution costs (inbound and out) influence the decision to have one plant at max utilization or two plants running a single shift in opposite parts of the country, but 40 hours a week just doesn't make sense.

I've been in the distribution business all my life and if we ran our facilities/trucks 40 hours a week we would be broke. Is manufacturing different then distribution? To some degree, but both employ capital and it has to boil down to return on your investment.

Some of the most rememorable commercials are those that people feel the most passionate about. They love them or hate them. They enjoy watching or are annoyed by them. That's successful advertising.

Dr. Z is almost cartoon-like in his appearance and Dieter Z-whatever performs his 'acting' role very well. With the "Dr. Z" thing, he pokes fun at himself, adds a few amusing statements and talks up their automobiles.

Look back at commercials like the Taco Bell dog, the Geico Gecko, the Where's the Beef Lady at Wendys. They all represent commercials that have impact. Honestly, the only thing I can remember about Bill Ford's commercials is him standing up there with his shirt and tie and his mouth moving. Nothing of substance that sticks to my cerebral membranes. Its a waste of money in advertising if people don't pay attention and with Dr. Z, people are at least paying attention even if they gripe about them. For me, I don't get the talking Geico Gecko. They really don't appeal to me that much but my wife and son seem amused by him and I often likewise watch too. He does stand out and just associating auto insurance with a Gecko makes it easier for the public to remember "Geico".

Some of the most rememorable commercials are those that people feel the most passionate about. They love them or hate them. They enjoy watching or are annoyed by them. That's successful advertising.

Traveler, You hit the nail on the head. Unfortunately Bill Ford just does not come across with any passion- make that sincere passion. And back to my original point. The analysts jump all over Ford for the latest quarterly results. What do we get? a typical respose like..."right we have to cut more and cut sooner". Wouldn't it be nice if Bill said .." We have a plan in place, we have new product coming, and we will be seing better results in the not too distant future". Like I said, how about some conviction...Your name is on the building Bill!

successful advertising sells product.

Making an ass of the CEO is not a recipe for success.

Responding, as Bill Ford did, to Wallstreet............. is exactly what Wallstreet wanted to hear. This is why Ford did it.

Wallstreet doesn't want to hear that Bill Ford wants to turn the company around, while impacting the least amount of employees that he can. They want to hear cut, cut, cut, close, close, close, fire, fire, fire. This is something that they can understand, as their little pea brains see this yielding much more immediate stock results.

In other words. They don't care if the company is around tomorrow. They don't care if every employee at FMC is let go, and all the plants closed. All they care about is getting theirs............. now. As the analysts are the voice of the investors, this is what they want also. If they don't hear or see what they want............ and only what they want............ they will not talk about your company in a good light.

They are pissed that Bill Ford will no longer give them guidance. They are pissed that Bill Ford has basically given them the middle finger, and told them that he will fix the company his way. Thus, don't go expecting much in the way of good news from the analysts................. for quite some time.

BTW, I find it interesting that the 2nd quarter results............. the end result............. was actually better than what the analysts predicted. What pissed them off, is that it didn't happen in the way that they predicted. Thus, it makes them look not too smart. They don't like that.

Personally, I love it. I invest for the long term, not the short term, thus, I really enjoy seeing a major company telling the "system" where to go. You should not run your company, strictly to make those who wish to profit from it quickly, happy. You should run your company for longterm viability. Just as they are.

successful advertising sells product.

Making an ass of the CEO is not a recipe for success.

Is he the CEO? I was thinking he was like president of N. American operations or something like that. I don't really see it as making an ass of him...just poking a little fun. Only two commercials that I've seen even do this and that is the one where the little girl as him is his mustache real and the redneck Hemi dude (as commercial director) chastises his acting ability. Both are light-hearted IMO. Besides, that he is "Dr. Z". I'm not really sure the majority of the buying public will recognize this guy as being the DCX leadership in North America.

I think the majority of folks will appreciate the commercials for their injection of light humor with production information, but I don't think DCX should put all its eggs in one basket and do some more serious commericals. Good advertising and marketing in my view is making a big splash. Actually being annoying but likeable can be a big success.

One thing I'd like to see is Bill Ford proudly proclaim that he thinks so much of the Five-Hundred that he drives one to work everyday. What would it kill him to do it for the length of an advertising campaign anyway? He could leave his Ford GT or Aston Martin or Jaguar in the garage for awhile and 'get his hands dirty'. I'll tell you what...that kind of attitude would go along way with the American public. I think its important for company leadership to be identified favorably with the blue collar buyers. Show him day after day in everyday traffic driving to work in his suit and tie, sipping coffee and pulling up to the headquarters building and into 'his' parking space.

Responding, as Bill Ford did, to Wallstreet............. is exactly what Wallstreet wanted to hear. This is why Ford did it.

Wallstreet doesn't want to hear that Bill Ford wants to turn the company around, while impacting the least amount of employees that he can. They want to hear cut, cut, cut, close, close, close, fire, fire, fire. This is something that they can understand, as their little pea brains see this yielding much more immediate stock results.

In other words. They don't care if the company is around tomorrow. They don't care if every employee at FMC is let go, and all the plants closed. All they care about is getting theirs............. now. As the analysts are the voice of the investors, this is what they want also. If they don't hear or see what they want............ and only what they want............ they will not talk about your company in a good light.

They are pissed that Bill Ford will no longer give them guidance. They are pissed that Bill Ford has basically given them the middle finger, and told them that he will fix the company his way. Thus, don't go expecting much in the way of good news from the analysts................. for quite some time.

BTW, I find it interesting that the 2nd quarter results............. the end result............. was actually better than what the analysts predicted. What pissed them off, is that it didn't happen in the way that they predicted. Thus, it makes them look not too smart. They don't like that.

Personally, I love it. I invest for the long term, not the short term, thus, I really enjoy seeing a major company telling the "system" where to go. You should not run your company, strictly to make those who wish to profit from it quickly, happy. You should run your company for longterm viability. Just as they are.

I could not agree more on the analyst/wall street description - but the Way Forward revision is actually inside driven.

In January, Billy and Mark believed that they can ride on steady F-series sales for another 2 years or so, while they fix the rest ..... they were hopeful, because it gave them easy time - now they see that that will not happen, and decided to account for it, rather than hope it will all fall into place and they will manage to ride on the declining sales long enough .... to get something worthy of carrying the company.... They decided to save more, and change plans, to account for the new information - and this is all fact driven, not WS driven - BF and MF did give WS the middle finger and I cannot see them take that back - they have no reason to.

Igor

I really don't see the same kind of commercial working for Ford anyway and it certainly doesn't seem befitting of Bill Ford. I think he should ditch the suit and tie for a black polo with a corporate blue oval logo and khakis and look more like someone blue collar American can relate to. A big problem with the company is their overall identity. Without their trucks and SUVs, they don't see to have any feel for the public.

I really don't see the same kind of commercial working for Ford anyway and it certainly doesn't seem befitting of Bill Ford. I think he should ditch the suit and tie for a black polo with a corporate blue oval logo and khakis and look more like someone blue collar American can relate to. A big problem with the company is their overall identity. Without their trucks and SUVs, they don't see to have any feel for the public.

I agree with the more "blue collar" approach. The best Billy ad I recall is the one where he's talking about driving his red Mustang GT convertible with the stereo up. That says "everyday American" to me.

Those Dr. Z ads are horrible. They make him look like an imbicile.

Please, Ford, DO NOT copy the Dr. Z ads. That's all I ask. Well, don't copy their employee pricing this time around, either.

I agree -- Bill Ford looks freaky looking and doesn't seem as charismatic as Dr. Z.

Dr. Z has a snob appeal to him, though, which works against the company in some respects.