Fusion Coupe?

meyeste

If you're under 25 or over 45 chances are you don't have any kids to haul around anyway. And even if you do maybe it's your commuter car that nobody else rides in 95% of the time. So I don't think it's fair to say that people who drive them are selfish.

Could you add a few pictures to your signature? It only takes up one entire screen right now.

Sounds like you need to adjust your screen settings. Perhaps you should add some photos of your Ford vehicles on this Ford forum.

I would say most of them go to buyers without kids, empty nesters, or those with disposable income for a second vehicle to use when the kids aren't in tow. Most Mustang owners I know have additional vehicles.

You're likely correct. I don't consider any of my vehicles worth the "fun" of a 2 door unless it's a performance car as I said. This is just my .02. Most people probably don't have two person households with 3 cars, let alone 3 4-doors.

As I said though, after I buy the Explorer Sport to replace my current 2003, a Shelby GT500 will be my next choice.

The market has changed over the years and few 2-door coupes are available now because of the limited demand. Back in the '70's & '80's, 2-door coupes were a big part of the business... Lincoln Mark IV, Lincoln Mark V, Chevy Monte Carlo, Pontiac Grand Prix, Buick Regal, Olds Cutlass, etc. Within the past couple of years, even Toyota & Nissan have discontinued their mainstream Solara & Altima coupes. There's no way Ford will offer a 2-door Fusion coupe that could even possibly compete with the next generation Mustang that Ford will be selling on a global basis.

This is true they're certainly scaling back.

Many in my generational cohort seem to have an affinity for them --- and care not the implications on the family. I kind of see this as an issue with priorities but what do I know.

How often do you haul anything with that F-150? Fat-family excluded.

• 1 year later...

I think the reason the 2 door coupe has disappeared is because the oil companies have funded their disappearance just as they have funded the disappearance of the manual transmission. It is almost impossible to find a two door manual shift economy car short of buying foreign. Shame on the American automakers for this!

• 5 months later...

I don't understand this country's infatuation with a 2-door vehicle. Not very family friendly, and no one wants to ride in a two door car so it's not as practical, the only time I will buy 2 door is if it's a performance car and it's more for weight reasons than it is practicality. A 2 door SUV? I don't get it. 2 door non performance car? Don't get it.

My fusion, explorer and F150 are all 4 door, wouldn't have it any other way.

NEXT purchase though.... GT500... even if they had a 4 door offering NO WAY JOSE.

Maybe I am alone in that I enjoy 4 doors.

Or perhaps over 50? ;)

• 4 weeks later...

I don't understand this country's infatuation with a 2-door vehicle. Not very family friendly, and no one wants to ride in a two door car so it's not as practical, the only time I will buy 2 door is if it's a performance car and it's more for weight reasons than it is practicality. A 2 door SUV? I don't get it. 2 door non performance car? Don't get it.

My fusion, explorer and F150 are all 4 door, wouldn't have it any other way.

NEXT purchase though.... GT500... even if they had a 4 door offering NO WAY JOSE.

Maybe I am alone in that I enjoy 4 doors.

Simple... I never use the rear doors on my escape. Therefor the 2 doors on my Bronco are more than enough ... It's not that hard to slide the seats forward those rare times I have passengers . Ditto for my Camaro.

Different people , different strokes :)

That said, I do change my original position . No point having a fusion coupe when we already have the Mustang

Edited by probowler

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

RWD Fusion coupe? Buy a Stang.

And what's with blaming oil companies? Bigger 2 doors like Elite/MkV/T-Bird/Cougar simply went out of style. Kind of like polyester leisure suits, Opera Windows, velour, disco music, Mullet hair styles, lime green golf pants, and gold chains.

Edited by 630land

• 2 months later...

I'd discount anecdocal reports of relatively few coupe from Honda and others. Unlike Ford, it is very difficult to order what you want from those manufacturers, and you're basically left with a choice of what the dealer thought he could sell easiest, usually 4 doors and bland color schemes, inside and out.

Personally, I'm a fan of FWD, if the interior designers avail themselves of the extra space and don't just fill up the insides with space-robbing blobs of plastic. I like FWD not just for its (potentially) better space utilization, but also for its better handling in snowy conditions.

A RWD Mustang is NOT the equivalent of a 2-door Fusion.

• Like 1

A RWD Mustang is NOT the equivalent of a 2-door Fusion.

It is for a lot of buyers who don't care about performance or which wheels get driven.

As for inventory - I don't think it's that hard to find the trim level and color you want. Non pony car coupes just aren't in demand.

It is for a lot of buyers who don't care about performance or which wheels get driven.

As for inventory - I don't think it's that hard to find the trim level and color you want. Non pony car coupes just aren't in demand.

Sheesh!, who annointed you emperor of Ford marketing?

The POINT was, that aside from you, a LOT of potential buyers ARE looking for FWD performance and the vehicle characteristics it allows for.

And, just because YOU don't 'think' it's hard to find the trim levels desired from dealers inventories, doesn't make it so.

God complex much?

Sheesh!, who annointed you emperor of Ford marketing?

The POINT was, that aside from you, a LOT of potential buyers ARE looking for FWD performance and the vehicle characteristics it allows for.

And, just because YOU don't 'think' it's hard to find the trim levels desired from dealers inventories, doesn't make it so.

God complex much?

Now that was COMPLETELY uncalled for. Don't turn a simple difference of opinion into a personal attack. Consider yourself warned.

As for your assertion that a LOT of buyers want FWD coupes, sales numbers completely disagree. And there is no real evidence that reduced inventory has anything to do with it. Reduced inventory is a product of reduced demand barring a shortage of production capacity at the factory.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I have never heard of a Fusion coupe or the thought of one being mentioned here in Dearborn. . . .coupes are more difficult sell in today's environment.

Rather than fund a Fusion coupe (and I love the idea), you'll see more personal sized CUVs. And I'd love to see a Thunderbird/Mark IX. . .but that might be a while away too.

• 1 year later...

It is with sorrow that I had to once again concede to the fact ford only offers one choice in a two door. In 2016 I looked all spring and summer for a new coupe and test drove about eight different makes. It was almost impossible to find a 2016 Mustang Turbo to drive in the Kalamazoo area. When I asked why all they had was convertibles and GT’s on the lots they said they don’t sell well. However they said the GT will drive exactly the same and if I liked it I could order a coupe.

Right !?! Well I found one in Battle Creek to test drive it was very nice and drove great and almost was as fast as my 69. However, in Michigan rear wheel drive normally is not so nice November through February. (Except this year) I have never owned a four door and won’t in the future. My wife buys the Mommy cars.

Sorry to say as a lifelong ford fan I bought a Honda Coupe Touring. My last Honda coupe gave zero problems and resold at a great price. I will just have to reminisce as I drive my Candy apple red 1969 Fairlane fastback around and remember when Ford made beautiful two door cars. If a Fusion coupe is out of the Question it would cost Ford very little just give us the two door hatchback like the Focus or Fiesta which is in Europe That would do nicely thanks.

Maybe someday America will lose its love affair with boring people haulers.