The Future of Ford Trucks

As a lifetime Ford fan, I've been thinking about Ford's future and what products they should build? In my opinion, with the price of gas around $3 and talk of going to $4 they should downsize their offerings. I propose the following:

Ford Explorer – Restyle the Freestyle and place the Explorer nameplate on it. With the Escape and Edge coming on board, the restyled Explorer nameplate would continue with better gas mileage and families that require three rows have an option they afford to drive everyday.

Ford Expedition – Restyle the Explorer platform and place the Expedition nameplate on it. For people that require towing in their life, this could become the new standard. Keep the current Expedition and call it the XL and place a diesel engine for everyday driving.

Ranger – Build a truck based off the Edge platform. A lot of people need a truck but also need to drive it everyday. Make 4WD standard and place a 4cyl as standard equipment with a V-6 optional. This vehicle could tow 3500 lbs max and make Ford a leader in small trucks again. With a standard cab along with extended cab and 4-door – there's something for everybody. I would definitely buy one tomorrow.

Sport Trac – Restyle the body and call the F-100. For someone that needs a truck to tow but can't afford an F-150 (gas mileage) this would be perfect. Along with a standard cab, an extended cab or 4-door, this could keep Ford #1 in trucks. With the flexibility of building an F-100 or new Expedition off the same running chassis, the cost would be minimal and offers more choices.

F-150 – Continue to build the F150 & F250 but add diesel engines as an alternative. Take the weight out and also add cylinder deactivation as standard equipment. I believe there is a market for such vehicles but that market will shrink in the coming years.

I believe the future is in smaller vehicles with 4cyl and V-6 displacements. The options I have offered are mainly restyling exercises. The platforms are already in place. The faster Ford realizes this and shifts production to smaller vehicles, the faster profits will return to North America. What do you think?

:shrug:

Edited by mrash

I'm confused, your emphansize I believe was downsizing platform, but I'm just reading more about renaming this and that and almost keeping what their is.

I wouldn't recommend placing the Explorer nameplate on the Freestyle. Creates confusion, and that name has been a bit tarnished as well. As it is, the Freestyle shouldn't have carried the "Free" suffix since it's confused with the poor selling Freestar. If anything, maybe 500-Sportswagon, or 500 XL, anything but Free.

Ranger on the Edge platform would economically be impossible. It's much cheaper to build a small BOF truck, starting at $13K, than one on a unibody that would require it to be priced at least at the $18K level. This is the issue occuring with the Ridgeline.

The new Expedition/Navi will share the platform with the next F-150. Thats part of Fords consolidation of platform. Plus, since BOF is cheaper to build, it doesnt require that many units sold, to make it profittable.

The only redundancy I'm seeing is having the Edge, and Escape. Unless the Escape doesn't grow to offer a 3rd row seat, on a new CD3 platform, I see it pointless in regards to the Edge.

I know its been suggested before, but why again doesn't Ford just use the Explorer platform and build both a Ranger standard cab with one length bed and one extended cab with one length bed? No four door model is needed with the Sport Trac in service. Use the basic design dash, console, front seat frames, same windshield, front fenders and hood from Explorer to save costs.

To me, the Nissan Frontier comes to mind for a good size and engine options. For its size and overall shape, I think it would be on my list of compact/mid-size trucks to shop.

I know its been suggested before, but why again doesn't Ford just use the Explorer platform and build both a Ranger standard cab with one length bed and one extended cab with one length bed? No four door model is needed with the Sport Trac in service. Use the basic design dash, console, front seat frames, same windshield, front fenders and hood from Explorer to save costs.

To me, the Nissan Frontier comes to mind for a good size and engine options. For its size and overall shape, I think it would be on my list of compact/mid-size trucks to shop.

The Ranger replacement is suposed to be built off the Explorer/Sport Trac platform. (note: Sport Tracs aren't selling well at the moment) It may not be a good move. It may also be called F-100. It may also get the 4.6 3V V-8. They may be better to just stay with the Ranger with fuel prices driving truck sales.

The 4.4 Ford/Pugeot Lion Deisel is supposed to be in the next F-150.

The 3.5 Cyclone V-6 will be built for RWD applications and grow to 3.7 and maybe 4.0 for Truck use. the 4.0 SOHC and 4.2 SEFI will go away.

Lima engine is building the 3.5 and the first ones will be in Edge/MKX and MKZ. The Fusion/Milan will follow as Lima spools up production and get AWD.

(note: Sport Tracs aren't selling well at the moment)

How do we even know how they are selling? I did not think Ford breaks down the sales numbers of the Explorer and Explorer SportTrac or do you have this information? Also, the dealers are finally getting a decent selection of new SportTracs on their lot. It still in the birthing process.

Edited by 2005Explorer

How do we even know how they are selling? I did not think Ford breaks down the sales numbers of the Explorer and Explorer SportTrac or do you have this information? Also, the dealers are finally getting a decent selection of new SportTracs on their lot. It still in the birthing process.

Sioux Falls Ford has 3 STs to 19 Explorers. The STs may be selling faster than the Explorers, though.

Also it's annoying that I've seen next to no "NEW Exporer Sport Trac" advertising (although I'm not a member of their target audience, either).

Edited by RichardJensen

I live in Texas, where trucks are everywhere. Many of my friends own trucks, whether they need them or not. I owned until recently a F250 SD crewcab V10. I now own a Honda Ridgeline, that bastard-child truck or what I call an anti-truck.

It seems to me the American pickup business has generally been built on offering a truck to meet almost every possible need, with toughness assumed. You have little trucks all the way to really big trucks.

I think Ford has a bit of a problem. The Ranger is definitely a small truck. Many here seem to like it and say it is a good truck although the ones I have been in were unrefined bouncy-riding little trucks. I think Ford has a little truck, a large truck (F150), and a very large truck (SD).

It seems to me that small crewcabs have been successful - I see lots of Tacomas and Frontiers. I think these trucks are popular with people who need a bed for home depot but don't haul much and they need a real back seat for their family. A F150 Supercrew is too much. I think a lot of Ranger trucks are driven by people who wanted a cheap truck, not necessarily a small truck. The SportTrac could meet the needs of a Tacoma buyer who wants some style to go with their small crewcab. But the old ST was just OK, and the new one may have two less than ideal engine choices. The V8 mileage is bad, the V6 is not enough.

I think Ford:

- always needs to have a cheap F150 for the working guy. He can't afford a Lariat but needs a good basic halfton

- a small, fuel efficient truck could be very appealing to the everyday driver. It could be a Ranger, but it needs to have Toyota quality. These buyers might otherwise buy a small SUV.

- I think the F150 is a beautiful truck, but it has to quit growing. Maybe it needs to shrink slightly over time. It needs better engines with better fuel economy.

- the choice between the F150 and SD should be crystal clear.

- the SportTrac is a good concept, but I have to say the new chrome grill is hideous. Just as bad as the new Explorer grill. I may be in a minority, but I think the new rear suspension is a good idea. Make the SportTrac the Ford anti-truck. The truck for people who barely want a truck.

Just my two cents.

I live in Texas, where trucks are everywhere. Many of my friends own trucks, whether they need them or not. I owned until recently a F250 SD crewcab V10. I now own a Honda Ridgeline, that bastard-child truck or what I call an anti-truck.

It seems to me the American pickup business has generally been built on offering a truck to meet almost every possible need, with toughness assumed. You have little trucks all the way to really big trucks.

I think Ford has a bit of a problem. The Ranger is definitely a small truck. Many here seem to like it and say it is a good truck although the ones I have been in were unrefined bouncy-riding little trucks. I think Ford has a little truck, a large truck (F150), and a very large truck (SD).

It seems to me that small crewcabs have been successful - I see lots of Tacomas and Frontiers. I think these trucks are popular with people who need a bed for home depot but don't haul much and they need a real back seat for their family. A F150 Supercrew is too much. I think a lot of Ranger trucks are driven by people who wanted a cheap truck, not necessarily a small truck. The SportTrac could meet the needs of a Tacoma buyer who wants some style to go with their small crewcab. But the old ST was just OK, and the new one may have two less than ideal engine choices. The V8 mileage is bad, the V6 is not enough.

I think Ford:

- always needs to have a cheap F150 for the working guy. He can't afford a Lariat but needs a good basic halfton

- a small, fuel efficient truck could be very appealing to the everyday driver. It could be a Ranger, but it needs to have Toyota quality. These buyers might otherwise buy a small SUV.

- I think the F150 is a beautiful truck, but it has to quit growing. Maybe it needs to shrink slightly over time. It needs better engines with better fuel economy.

- the choice between the F150 and SD should be crystal clear.

- the SportTrac is a good concept, but I have to say the new chrome grill is hideous. Just as bad as the new Explorer grill. I may be in a minority, but I think the new rear suspension is a good idea. Make the SportTrac the Ford anti-truck. The truck for people who barely want a truck.

Just my two cents.

and

DSenstad Posted Today, 01:02 PM

I think they should push the fact that the Ranger can get 29 MPG with the right engine and a stick. Bring in a little diesel and watch it sell.

This should be addressed when the next Thai Ranger (supposedlly Global Ranger) replaces the ASEAN South American and North American Ranger with efficiente Turbo Diesels and I suppose new 4 and 6 cyl gasoline engines...

From what I have been reading in other forums this will happen around 2010 or at least 3 more years... again late IMHO

Edited by bolita

I think they should push the fact that the Ranger can get 29 MPG with the right engine and a stick. Bring in a little diesel and watch it sell.

It ain't going to sell at all, It is an outdated truck, great truck 10-15-20 years ago but now i wouldn't even look at it. Ford let this truck decay for decades, gas mileage ain't going to save it.

I'm not surprised the Sport Trak is not selling. With apologies to those who own one, this guy: link captures my feelings about the Sport Trak exactly:

"The new Sport Trac looks like an F-Series that tried to fit between two semis– and didn’t. While the Sport Trac’s front end boasts more chrome than a ’53 Buick, the rear is dull and rubbery, dominated by its bed cover. The combination of a full-size four door cab and a relatively tiny bed makes the Sport Trac look like a backyard El Caminofication, or a domestic version of Subaru’s dorktastic Baja. Either way its dissonant design proclaims the truck a cheap afterthought fashioned from an existing platform."

The bed is 49" long. I don't know how anybody can confuse that thing with a truck - then turn around and rag on the Ridgeline.

I disagree that the Ranger won't sell. As many posters here have demostrated, there is a thirst for a good, basic, small truck - I want one myself - and nobody, but nobody is trying to quench it. They're all stumbling over each other trying to move up-market (up-profit), with these two-toned, stunted-bed, plastic-laden, anesthetized, rolling bordellos that I see my local dealers lot crowded with - sitting week after week under the fluttering plastic flags of one frantic sales "event" after another. And still not moving.

How about some cars Ford? And trucks? And let them each be what they are. Enough of these abominable crimes against nature sitting on the lots like Vincent Price in "The Fly" plaintively crying: "Kill me".

You know, I expect smack here about my Ridgeline. For what I need and want, it is the right vehicle. You guys may think the ONLY way to make a truck is BOF, but I disagree.

I'm not really here to defend the RL, but I'll tell you why I bought it.

1. I need the bed more for occasional 4x8 plywood and bags of mulch than anything else. 5 ft. is enough.

2. I hate the way most trucks ride

3. Ranger is a terrible, dated truck, too small

4. F150 Supercrew is nice, but too big and thirsty

5. Pre2006 ST was outdated but I liked the looks

6. Post2006 ST is ugly

7. I needed four doors and 5 passenger seating.

8. I tow my 4000lb boat only occasionally (to get serviced)

9. Tacoma is too small, Tundra too big, Titan too thirsty and too big

10. RL drives and handles better than any truck I've ridden in or driven.

11. Wanted 5 star safety features

12. I use the RL trunk all the time.

I think the Sport Trac could be a popular vehicle. I think there are plenty of people who like the idea of a truck, but don't want either a compact truck or a "real" truck. They want car-like handling, 4-5 passenger seating, and a bed for occasional use. I think the V8 is too much engine for the Sport Trac. Forget about big towing. Make it good enough to tow jet skis, not horse trailers. 250-275 hp should be plenty. Either an advanced V6 or small V8. Get 20-24 MPG. Killer electronics. And get rid of the chrome.

My 18 MPG in the city is better than anyone I know with a Ford F150 V8.

18 MPG in the city? You must be REAL easy on the gas because the EPA only gives it a rating of 16 MPG and that is under perfect conditions. I won't say you are not telling the truth, maybe yours is just extremely good who knows. At least 18 MPG is realistic. I remember when my brother got his new Mercury Mariner V6 4x4 last year, he was telling his neighbor who owns a Suburban that he was getting 24 MPG on the highway and was really happy with the Mariner's economy. The Suburban owner then claimed that he was getting 26 MPG with it. Yeah right! :blah:

6. Post2006 ST is ugly

I don't think it looks too bad:

07_Ford_SportTrac_08.jpg

I'm not a big fan of the grille either, I like the one of the SVT concept much better. But, I would live with an ugly grille before I would of ever got one of these ugly things:

honda_ridgeline_rtlwmoonroofxmradio_2006_exterior_4_346x270.jpg

A 292HP V8 & a 6 Speed Automatic, it's a no brainer. I bet it would average around 16 to 17 mpg in mixed driving. My much heavier F150 4x4 with the 5.4 and 4 speed auto averages about 14 mpg and I drive it pretty hard all the time. I took it really easy one tank and it got almost 17 mpg, not too bad. Point is, the ST is only an aftermarket grille away from being a perfect truck, IMHO.

18 MPG in the city? You must be REAL easy on the gas because the EPA only gives it a rating of 16 MPG and that is under perfect conditions. I won't say you are not telling the truth, maybe yours is just extremely good who knows. At least 18 MPG is realistic. I remember when my brother got his new Mercury Mariner V6 4x4 last year, he was telling his neighbor who owns a Suburban that he was getting 24 MPG on the highway and was really happy with the Mariner's economy. The Suburban owner then claimed that he was getting 26 MPG with it. Yeah right! :blah:

My commute to work is about 25 miles each way. It includes highway speeds, but most of my drive is on 55 MPH roads with traffic lights. It is not stop and go but bogs down for stretches.

Best mileage I've seen on my RL is 21, pure highway trip. Worst is a weekend of running errands - 15 MPG.

I would not claim the RL gets great mileage.

BTW - comparing to the ST is fair, but the RL's interior is wider. Not sure why the ST is longer but has a shorter bed and less interior room.

The ST has promise. It even has independent rear suspension. The grill kills it for me.

I think it needs a better V6, not the V8.

I know the Ridgeline styling is polarizing. I think the F150 STX/FX4 is the best looking truck today. Ugliest is the Dodge (I can't stand the big rig look).

The net on the Ridgeline is that it works for me. I'm a car guy who kinda needs a truck.

My rant and rave. I think the current platforms are fine but ford needs to offer different engines and better prices. My grandfather bought a new silverado with the 4.6L V8. It has plenty of pull and muscle plus it consistanly get 20 mpg. Also, Ford needs to make the crew cab (four door) truck less expensive. I have always been a Ford fanatic. I am only 21 but since I could walk I have been around sports cars and trucks and they all had a blue oval. My first car was/is a 65 mustang that my grandfather and I fixed up. I want to help Ford out and buy a new mustang gt, but price increases are putting the car out of my reach. If I don't but the mustang I looking into a used F-150. After my grandfather bought the silverado, I have looked at Chevrolet. I can buy a four door truck for $26,000 with smaller V-8. I beleive the F-150 has the 5.4 and most people I've talked to gets around 13-14 mpg. I need a truck to work with that will not break me at the pump. Help Ford, don't want a bow-tie!

It's hard to argue with many of these posts. I for one think the Ridgeline is a pretty nice excuse for what most manufacturers want to call pick-up trucks now. And, I also think that this thinking will change. We pushed the SUV concept all the way to the end by making 4-door cars out of trucks with a small bed. Guess it was a logical end actually to the craze.

Ford has tried pretty hard in my mind to handle the "soccer Mom" image of a pick-up driver with those that really need a truck. Maybe leaving the Ranger out to dry and die wasn't so bad an idea when you really can't get a feel for where this market is going.

I have said for years now that the current F-150 is a very poor excuse for what was originally a strong, fuel-efficent and price-sensitive half ton truck. We've had many F-150's up until the last redesign and I think I can see the progression.

And, wow - all of a sudden we have another one of our infamous fuel crisis and maybe this one will never go away, guess they have all felt that way. So, all of a sudden, the "soccer Mom" is buying an Accord or Camry and feeling smart again. Where does that leave us that really need and want a good truck? We know trucks cost more to drive and usually more to insure, but we need them for one reason or another - sometimes lots of reasons.

Ford needs to address this problem quickly and I imagine that they are indeed doing that. I heard on CNBC the other day in another ranting and raving session about the domestic manufucaturers that Ford has historically 70% gross sales and profit margins on their trucks - the cars are still secondary. The North American market for Ford is not suffering so much from their lack of car offerings and cross-over vehicles, but from their lack of offering a fuel-efficient, reasonably priced half-ton truck.

So, will Ford respond to America with a new truck that is indeed strong, fuel-efficient and does what most of us need out of a truck? I sure do hope so. Don't get me wrong - I love the Ranger truck. We have had several and currently own two, one of which is actually equipped with a snow plow. But, they are what they are and at this point of their life cycle, I'm afraid the Ranger is a pretty person-specific little truck - strong and reasonably fuel efficient, but not really that appealing to all that many folks. The SporTrac is a nice reiteration of the Explorer, but it's not a truck.

We'll see where we go from here. In my mind there is not one manufacturer out there catering to those of us that want a little less in a strong truck. And, by the way - the Tacoma is not a small truck any more. It is in most ways as large as the current Tundra. I liked the last generation Tacoma a bunch better, the Frontier is an OK little truck but leaves a lot to be desired and frankly, the Ridgeline to me is nothing more than a beefed up mini-van.

I've gotten in the habit lately of buying clean, low mileage used trucks. At this point, I am out of the new truck market and that's not so much due to my being basically a cheap sort of person, but due to nothing new out there that interests me.