Thai Ranger Sighting

This is the 2nd time I've seen the Thai Ranger in the area, and this time it was the newest version. It drove past my home while I was working in the yard last evening. About a year ago I saw the previous gen Thai Ranger at an Auburn Hills Costco. Both were equiped with some noisey little diesels (which is what initially drew my attention).

I have to say that the new Thai Ranger is still pretty ugly ;).

In any case, I rarely see non-North American Fords tooling about even in car country, so seeing two Thai Ranger so conveniently close to me is interesting ;).

If they drop the North American Ranger, they may move the Thai Ranger to pick up the South American market. I don't think the Thai Ranger is suitable for US consumption reletive to the competition.

I think it really depends on what Ford is planning. Personally, I'd like to see Ford bring over the econo box Thai Ranger, including the diesel. It brings Ford back to the old days of compact mini trucks like the old Ford Courier. First vehicle I drove BTW.

But then take the current US Ranger and replace it with the F100 based on the Explorer chasis. That new F100 would be similar size wise to the Dakota and Canyon. Put a economical base V6 in it and the 4.6 w/ 6 spd and I think Ford would have a bang up truck line.

But then take the current US Ranger and replace it with the F100 based on the Explorer chasis. That new F100 would be similar size wise to the Dakota and Canyon. Put a economical base V6 in it and the 4.6 w/ 6 spd and I think Ford would have a bang up truck line.

I believe it is the only way we will ever get a rnger replacement, ford is too scared that a better ranger will cannibalize F series sales (when in reality it is just costing ford customers and driving more people to toyota) So ford should just name it the F-100 then they can still taunt their sales volume.

With somebody like Fields, maybe a 1/2 ton like this might be successful.

01.jpg

04.jpg

That's a 1.6 liter Bantam, made in South Africa.

A review is here:

http://www.wheels24.co.za/Wheels24/RoadTes...1387691,00.html

Rated for 1380 lb. The way the South Africans beat up on sleds, it's probably good for more.

What NA needs, IMHO, is something like this, sized for the 2.3 with a lot longer wheelbase, but keep it narrow. The B-car chassis might be too small, maybe use the Focus platform for a start. Call it a Focamino. :bandance:

I think it really depends on what Ford is planning. Personally, I'd like to see Ford bring over the econo box Thai Ranger, including the diesel. It brings Ford back to the old days of compact mini trucks like the old Ford Courier. First vehicle I drove BTW.

I sincerely doubt we're going to see the Thai Ranger here. Ford has had an all-new Ranger in development for the better part of 6 or 7 years, but the program has been delayed and put on the back burner many times due to Ford's recurring financial troubles. From what I've heard, its slightly larger than the current model, but not big enough to be in the Dakota/Tacoma class. Just to be a little roomier and a little more functional. I've also heard that Ford is developing an all-new Explorer platform, which will probably share a lot of parts with the T1 chassis to save on cost. A common modular architecture that underpins the Ranger, Explorer, Sport-Trac, F-150, and Expedition would make a lot of sense, and sounds like something Mark Fields would do.

The only danger with T1 sharing would be excessive weight gain, making a 4-cylinder option impossible. The new Ranger needs to keep the same basic packaging, only a little roomier. The biggest engine should be a punched out Cyclone 4.0 V6 with about 260hp and enormous torque for towing.

Another option would be the introduction of a F100 truck, and to keep the current Ranger as a smaller, fuel-efficient model.

A new Ranger was developed 6 or 7 years ago? WTF? Diesels will have to be an option in the near future, don't you agree? That S. African trucks looks a bit tinny. F-100, the name's been batted around here alot lately. Is there a design for this or is this just something cooked up on the BON?

Who was the first to use hydroforming in car manufacturing?

Not a clue. Ford's expanded its use to most of their BOF products. It first appeared, IIRC, on the front sub assy. of the Panthers in '03. It then appeared on the F150, now the Explorer, and who knows? Maybe on some new Ranger of some sort. I don't know if it's used on the SDs, and I'm pretty sure it's not used on the E-Series. Of course, for those uses, weight is not as much of an issue, so the advantages of hydroforming (strength with less steel) are somewhat unnecessary.

A new Ranger was developed 6 or 7 years ago? WTF?

I heard the same rumor though my old man who used to work at the Edison plant back around the same time, the excuse he heard that it was delayed was due to sheet metal stamping issues or some crap like that.

Far as I'm concerned its just like Bigfoot...an urban legend

Not a clue. Ford's expanded its use to most of their BOF products. It first appeared, IIRC, on the front sub assy. of the Panthers in '03. It then appeared on the F150, now the Explorer, and who knows? Maybe on some new Ranger of some sort. I don't know if it's used on the SDs, and I'm pretty sure it's not used on the E-Series. Of course, for those uses, weight is not as much of an issue, so the advantages of hydroforming (strength with less steel) are somewhat unnecessary.

The first use was, I believe, in the mid-90s for the C5 Corvette.