Next Gen F150

It seems Dodge is eating up more and more competition in the pickup truck market. I imagine Chevy is about to up there game as well.

Ex: http://www.autoblog.com/2012/04/05/2013-ram-1500-unveiled-with-eight-speed-auto-start-stop-air-su/

I do a lot of work out in the country. It has always been Fords out there, but lately I am seeing more and more Dodge Trucks. Dodge isn't out selling Ford...and hopefully they won't ever come close. Does anyone know what we can expect from Ford to shut down competition from Chevy and Dodge?

58,000 odd F trucks last month says you're location is not indicative of the broader reality, that F Truck sales lead Ram by a long way.

Well done Ram, bringing out a 3,7 that will probably get 24 mpg highway but the current F150 3.7 V6 gets 23 mpg so not much in it..

In anny case, 90% of F 150 sales are Ecoboost V6 and 5.0 V8, so Ram has a lot of ground to make up convincing people to buy their truck....

Hey, I have no problem stating that were I in the market for a half-ton, I would take a Ram 1500 over a F-150. Reason? First off, I'm not a person who would ever need to push a half-ton to it's limits, so "most capable" isn't the top priority. Therefore, the other aesthetics come into play, like styling. I'm sure I'm in the minority, but I think the Ram 1500 looks 10x's better than the F-150. I thought the '04-'08 F-150s were the best-looking half-ton ever created, and never really cared for the '09 redo.

Impressive, definitely a much better luxury truck than the F-Series. Didn't think Ram could out innovate the F-Series.

Hardly "much" better....a Platinum F150 has everything the Dodge does sans an 8 spd, and the Ford has a nicer interior imo. I am sure Ford will nip this in the bud with the next redesign.

Hey, I have no problem stating that were I in the market for a half-ton, I would take a Ram 1500 over a F-150. Reason? First off, I'm not a person who would ever need to push a half-ton to it's limits, so "most capable" isn't the top priority. Therefore, the other aesthetics come into play, like styling. I'm sure I'm in the minority, but I think the Ram 1500 looks 10x's better than the F-150. I thought the '04-'08 F-150s were the best-looking half-ton ever created, and never really cared for the '09 redo.

I agree with you 110%. The current F150 isn't nearly as handsome as the 04-08s. I just cant get to like it except for the Raptor. The new Dodge is a "handsome" truck and the new interior blows everthing else away. Really well done. I'd say the Dodge (oops, RAM) interior is best in class buy a long shot. I'd pass on the bed lockers, but I do like the air suspension concept and the new 3.6 w/ 8 speed.

I agree with you 110%. The current F150 isn't nearly as handsome as the 04-08s. I just cant get to like it except for the Raptor. The new Dodge is a "handsome" truck and the new interior blows everthing else away. Really well done. I'd say the Dodge (oops, RAM) interior is best in class buy a long shot. I'd pass on the bed lockers, but I do like the air suspension concept and the new 3.6 w/ 8 speed.

I definitely agree that the 09 redo was a step back, the main reason I still have my 06. And the Raptor is by far the best looking Ford (or any other half ton) on the market. As for the interior, I have sat in both a Dodge and Ford top line trims, and I can't agree that the Dodge is best by a long shot. It is very nice, especially considering where Dodge was just a few years ago, but the F150 is pretty nice also.

And as someone said previously, competition is good for all us consumers.

While the RAM has some nice features, you can't possibly believe the bolded parts.

The interior is fairly well laid out with the exception of the IP, which looks too busy with the smaller gauges inside the tach and speedo, and it APPEARS in pics to have decent quality materials, but this in no way "blows away" the Platinum (or even Lariat for that matter) F150.

I definitely agree that the 09 redo was a step back, the main reason I still have my 06. And the Raptor is by far the best looking Ford (or any other half ton) on the market. As for the interior, I have sat in both a Dodge and Ford top line trims, and I can't agree that the Dodge is best by a long shot. It is very nice, especially considering where Dodge was just a few years ago, but the F150 is pretty nice also.

And as someone said previously, competition is good for all us consumers.

Just for clarity, I'm refering to the interior in the 2013 Dodge. The photos are on Autoblog this morning. It's a Laramie version.

http://www.autoblog.com/photos/2013-ram-1500/med/#photo-4931353/

• Like 1

As long as we're talking the '13 Ram, then yes, I can say I like the layout/look of the new interior better. (Obviously I haven't sat in one to know the "feel".) I'll admit that the phrase "blows away" would be too strong however. (At least in regards to the Fords.)

As long as we're talking the '13 Ram, then yes, I can say I like the layout/look of the new interior better. (Obviously I haven't sat in one to know the "feel".) I'll admit that the phrase "blows away" would be too strong however. (At least in regards to the Fords.)

All right, I'll retract the "blows away" comment. it is nice though ;-)

• Like 2

Impressive, definitely a much better luxury truck than the F-Series. Didn't think Ram could out innovate the F-Series.

Uh, the 2013 Ram isn't out yet, and I'm sure the F-150 team is continuously working on improving their half ton pickup. Also, I'm sure they were well aware of Ram going to 8 speed trans and next Silverado having 8 speed trans also. Ford spent a ton of money on LTP to come out with its own 8 speed. As of now we know it's going into Lincoln vehicles, but I'm sure Ford truck team will get its own version also. As for Ram, never did like that in your face RAM YOU front end. That alone is a deal breaker for me. Hate the front end of the Super Duty also, but at least the F-150 is toned down a bit and more tasteful. Anyway, I would bet the next generation F-150 will blow competition out of water even more than up to now. And I would bet the next F-150 is a lot more than 100 pounds lighter. If the 2013 Ram 1500 truly can get 24mpg highway, look for the next F-150 to get 25-27mpg highway.

I guess I'm in the minority then. I like the recent F150 refresh, both in and out. And I don't see the RAM interior having that much better than Ford's. Exterior, the RAM hasn't changed their styling in way too long. That four bar cross hair needs to go.

Uh, the 2013 Ram isn't out yet, and I'm sure the F-150 team is continuously working on improving their half ton pickup. Also, I'm sure they were well aware of Ram going to 8 speed trans and next Silverado having 8 speed trans also. Ford spent a ton of money on LTP to come out with its own 8 speed. As of now we know it's going into Lincoln vehicles, but I'm sure Ford truck team will get its own version also. As for Ram, never did like that in your face RAM YOU front end. That alone is a deal breaker for me. Hate the front end of the Super Duty also, but at least the F-150 is toned down a bit and more tasteful. Anyway, I would bet the next generation F-150 will blow competition out of water even more than up to now. And I would bet the next F-150 is a lot more than 100 pounds lighter. If the 2013 Ram 1500 truly can get 24mpg highway, look for the next F-150 to get 25-27mpg highway.

While I Agree that Dodge may have a short lived lead with the 24 mpg 3.7 V6 version, it's Ford's 2.7/3.0 Ecoboost engine that will

bring the goods for F150. An engine with 3.7 like economy with 360 to 400 lb ft on tap, the game has just shifted to a new level.

Perspective:

Dodge needed 2 extra gears and auto start/stop to eke out a 4.3% lead over Ford in V6 fuel economy.

I'm not worried.

You forgot active shutters, hard tonneau cover, automatic suspension lowering, special side steps...

I'm guessing Ford could gain that extra 4.3% (or more) if they added all of that in too. Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if some minor tweaks to the '13 F150 (active shutters like Ford already offers on some cars, some aero enhancements with the front-end changes, etc.) don't eek out that 4.3% and at least equal the Ram's V6 numbers.

Edited by fordmantpw

Hardly "much" better....a Platinum F150 has everything the Dodge does sans an 8 spd, and the Ford has a nicer interior imo. I am sure Ford will nip this in the bud with the next redesign.

The 8-Speed isn't the only thing, notice the electronic gear selector, HID projector headlamps, and Air suspension. I guarantee you the next F-150 will not have any of these features. And the Dodge RAM interior is a step up from the Ford, but that's one area Ford will likely fix with an update and MyFord Touch.

I still believe the F-Series is a better truck line overall thanks to a better engineered chassis and their unbeatable engine lineup. And it could be that Ford finds these features too precious for their durability standards.

Edited by BORG

I don't think I would worry much about Dodge or GM. I was kind of bummed when GM said they were putting the DMAX 4500 in the half tons and Ford would not follow with the 4.4. But after thinking about it, who is going to pay a $5000 to $7000 premium over a gas engine? Basically it's for nothing other than saying it has a diesel and gets better mileage even though it has impractical amounts of power for a half ton and you will never make the difference up in fuel savings to pay for the cost of the engine . The 3.2 that Ford is expected to be putting in their trucks will at least be able to sell itself on better fuel economy, lower cost than the DMAX, and practical amounts of power for a half ton. Remember, even though it may not be clear to us, there is a reason why Ford does not put the 4.4 in a half ton, whether it be cost, or only small improvements in fuel economy there is a reason. If Ford can make the case to put it in a half ton and make money off of it, they will. As for GM and Dodge being better than Ford, I picture them just now catching up to Ford, perhaps even benchmarking current Ford trucks to beat rather than trying to be better, but as we know Ford is very serious about trucks and has been working on a new one since the day the current model came out. It wont take much for Ford to best either one of these companies.

Ah, Dodge finally has a truck for the buyer who doesn't need one. And they're only eight years late to the party!!

Bingo! It's perfect for the person who doesn't use their truck.....as a truck. That fit's almost 100% of the Dodge half ton drivers in my area. "City" folk or retired gentleman mostly.