2013 GT500 certified at 662hp, 630lb-ftt

The ring is fine as a tuning too. Note that I said "a," as in one of many.

I have no problem with that. What I have problem with is the numbers junkies running around quoting ring times as if they are the do all end all of performance measurement.

If there were any standards to adhere to, or any third party verification, then they would at least mean a little something. As it stands now, they are, to put it bluntly, BS.

To he who asked, yes, if 2 competing cars were run together, as in road racing, then it would mean something........................ for those two cars.

Everyone should know that the greatest factor in improving lap times over any given course is the driver, not the vehicle. The PCA in DE always says is that if you wish to improve your lap times significantly, get more training and don't waste your money on mods. So yeah, you have to take performance times with a grain of salt, especially lap times because the greatest unknown is the driver's ability or lack thereof. Straight line performance not so much unless both vehicles are manuals and one is much better at it. Even a top driver has bad days on the track for whatever reason. And of course every driver has certain strengths and weakneses like maybe exceptional at qualifying, but not in long races. Some are good in sprints, but not enduros. Some are good at flying starts, but not from dead stops. Some are very smooth and can do lap times that hardly ever vary, and some are hard on vehicle and have erratic lap times. So I would imagine a good lap time in comparison to others gives you some idea of how well a vehicle performs, but not the complete picture.

And sometimes lap times can give you a strong idea of how any given vehicle performs. Recently watched a Top Gear road test of BMW 5 Series M, an AMG MB sedan, and Audi A4 RS. Both the BMW and Audi were somewhat equal in hp, but MB had over 100 more hp and Audi had AWD while others were RWD. In straight line performance, the MB easily won of course. But on this long track in Spain BMW easily won. The resident Top Gear race driver (The Stig) raced a 1971 JPS Lotus F1 racer and did a best 2.15 second lap over this long road course. And he did a best 2.38 in the AMG and Audi RS. The BMW was easily three seconds faster at 2.35, and you could see the better control in the corners. The AMG was all over the road in the corners. No suprise here that BMW would build a superior road racing machine and with same driver in comparison testing bore that fact out.

Errr, that depends on which dealer you ordered through. I order my cars through Planet Ford here in Houston. Being one of the highest volume dealers in the country, I could get one of the first to leave the production line; assuming (incorrectly) at I'd be willing to pay an outrageous markup. Speaking of which, how much of a premium are they charging you?

Edited by Versa-Tech

• 4 weeks later...

I have no idea why you put "GM" into this, and you're welcome to take your moronic and baseless "brainwashing" accusation and cram it in your Southern access route 'til it sees daylight.

I've been a car enthusiast for an awfully long time, now. There's no shortage of manufacturers that use the 'Ring for testing their performance-oriented models...and the GT500 wouldn't be the first or last Mustang to test there. I'd be interested in "the time" because, while it's not a truly solid same-day-same-driver comparison, it IS a known and respected benchmark among those of us who heard of it long before Cadillac was styling by Etch-a-Sketch and ever dreamed up the CTS-V.

I hadn't noticed the same level of interest in times at, say, Watkins Glen. If I start seeing everything from 911s to Vipers to Corvettes and what-not working to nail down their official times there, I'd likely be very interested.

Besides, and this is for Richard, who's apparently assigned to snarl with light sarcasm at any perceived slight at Ford's performance accomplishments or lack thereof...it's not a question of tuning a street car strictly for the 'Ring, it's seeing how the street car handles the monster...and there are benchmarks to go by, whether they're true "comparison" fodder or not.

I suppose it's somehow wrong of some of us to NOT celebrate the 30 hp the new Fusion won't have compared to many of its rivals, and then also wrong to be curious how the newest, baddest Mustang would fare at a world-renowned racing facility...but I don't see it.

Extreme 4x4 can sure cut-and-paste, but can miss the point by miles. Richard...you're just being bizarre about performance topics this year, and I have no idea what your issue is.

I'm sure you will get your ring times for the GT500. Nice to know that GM brainwashed you too.

What part of "comparing ring times that are not observed by an impartial 3rd party, or not done at the same time, is useless," don't you get?? It is a marketing number, pure and simple. It has nothing to do with what these cars can do in competition with each other, on the same day, at the same track. There is no such thing as "official" numbers. There is no such thing as "ring records." These are all BS terms used by marketing people. Yet, you bought it, hook, line, line and sinker.

A couple of quotes which may interest some. Others who have their minds made up, can ignore them.

I have no idea why you put "GM" into this, and you're welcome to take your moronic and baseless "brainwashing" accusation and cram it in your Southern access route 'til it sees daylight.

I've been a car enthusiast for an awfully long time, now. There's no shortage of manufacturers that use the 'Ring for testing their performance-oriented models...and the GT500 wouldn't be the first or last Mustang to test there. I'd be interested in "the time" because, while it's not a truly solid same-day-same-driver comparison, it IS a known and respected benchmark among those of us who heard of it long before Cadillac was styling by Etch-a-Sketch and ever dreamed up the CTS-V.

I hadn't noticed the same level of interest in times at, say, Watkins Glen. If I start seeing everything from 911s to Vipers to Corvettes and what-not working to nail down their official times there, I'd likely be very interested.

Besides, and this is for Richard, who's apparently assigned to snarl with light sarcasm at any perceived slight at Ford's performance accomplishments or lack thereof...it's not a question of tuning a street car strictly for the 'Ring, it's seeing how the street car handles the monster...and there are benchmarks to go by, whether they're true "comparison" fodder or not.

I suppose it's somehow wrong of some of us to NOT celebrate the 30 hp the new Fusion won't have compared to many of its rivals, and then also wrong to be curious how the newest, baddest Mustang would fare at a world-renowned racing facility...but I don't see it.

Extreme 4x4 can sure cut-and-paste, but can miss the point by miles. Richard...you're just being bizarre about performance topics this year, and I have no idea what your issue is.

This doesn't matter at all. The 2013 Fusion uses a Aisine-built 6-speed transmission with a final drive ratio of 3.20:1. The Sonata Turbo uses an exclusive 6-speed transmission with a finial drive of 2.69:1.

That means there won't be any difference in how the engine pulls off the line; the Fusion has shorter gears.

This doesn't matter at all. The 2013 Fusion uses a Aisine-built 6-speed transmission with a final drive ratio of 3.20:1. The Sonata Turbo uses an exclusive 6-speed transmission with a finial drive of 2.69:1.

That means there won't be any difference in how the engine pulls off the line; the Fusion has shorter gears.

Not to mention that there is very likely going to be a Fusion ST to top the lineup in the near future. Plug the volume holes first. Current Fusion Sport sales are apparently only about 5% of total volume.