Ford Focus Fix for Transmission Shift Issues

blown04cobra

It took two return shop visits to get my DCT tranny working correctly.

Knocking on wood / tapping head but its been solid for the last 10,000 miles and no issues.

Mine had the original leaking seal that damaged the clutch plate. Dealer "fixed" it only for repeat clutch slippage and a 2nd visit. Parts were supposed to be upgraded or redesigned and installed.

No further issues. The DCT tranny is not a new concept but is new to Ford and hopefully they stand behind their product.

• 3 months later...

I have a 2012 Focus hatch with the DCT and 40,000 miles. It is now on its third set of clutches. This third set drove great unitl about 9000 miles and then the horrible clattering and vibrations again returned. On the positive side it is not yet shuddering/slipping like the previous two clutch sets were doing. This is a deeply flawed transmission (at least for the 2012 model year). Only one other car in my 40 years of driving was a more miserable ownership experience.

• Like 1

Yesterday (7/21/14) they extended the warranty on the DPS6 seals and clutches to 7years/100k miles. This DOES NOT cover coolant contamination, throwout bearing grease contamination, engine oil contamination, outside water contamination, or failures of the actuator levers which are killing higher mileage clutches. It also does not cover actuator motor failures and failures of the TCM. In short... the clutches are extremely fragile, Ford knows it and is trying to make up for it by extending coverage. If the original black seals are in the trans, it is only a matter of time. They WILL fail, PERIOD.

The latest software is a million times better than it was originally. The 2012 may or may not have been updated to the latest level, the 14 and up should have it already. Even when they are 'right' they are still kooky to drive as it is an automatically shifted manual transmission with dry clutches.

It really is a piece of crap. I mean no offence to anybody that has one but I cant imagine anyone who has truely done their homework buying one of these things. Here is what the dealers are handing out now when you take them back for noises.

http://jpegbay.com/gallery/002452907-1.html#1

Gee, it makes me want to run right out and buy a new Focus/Fiesta with the powershift that normally makes all kinds of racket.

Told you guys so. This trans is a POS> Tired of being demonized for critisizing FMC but tired of FMC screwing the consumer. How much more proof do you want the dual clutch trans is a complete POS??? Ford, run and hide becasuse you sucked on this one. Nice work not.

Yesterday (7/21/14) they extended the warranty on the DPS6 seals and clutches to 7years/100k miles. This DOES NOT cover coolant contamination, throwout bearing grease contamination, engine oil contamination, outside water contamination, or failures of the actuator levers which are killing higher mileage clutches. It also does not cover actuator motor failures and failures of the TCM. In short... the clutches are extremely fragile, Ford knows it and is trying to make up for it by extending coverage. If the original black seals are in the trans, it is only a matter of time. They WILL fail, PERIOD.

The latest software is a million times better than it was originally. The 2012 may or may not have been updated to the latest level, the 14 and up should have it already. Even when they are 'right' they are still kooky to drive as it is an automatically shifted manual transmission with dry clutches.

The Customer Satisfaction Program 14M01 covers - transmission input shaft seals, clutch assembly, and transmission software calibration.

Fiesta built from November 03,2009 thru June 5,2013 & Focus August 01,2010 thru June 05, 2013.

There is a whole new clutch coming out: Revision "F" with new seals. The clutch is still made by Luk

As of July 21, there is an all new software flash

If customer have more than 100,000 miles on their car, Ford is extending warranty until January 31, 2015.

If customer had paid out of pocket for repairs on the DPS6 transmission input shaft seal or clutch assembly because car was already out of warranty, Ford is going to reimburse customer.

Edited by MKII
  • Like 1

The Focus "F" suffix clutch is just a "D" clutch with attaching hardware included in the box. Same for the early Fiesta clutch. IF the causal part is NOT transmission related, i.e. coolant contamination, rear main seal (like all the 2.0's seem to have), it WILL NOT be covered. If the Causal part is the clutch itself or seals, it is covered. I cleaned and updated one with IDS version 91.01. Left with 150 RPM shudder (within spec- ha!) and now its back with over 300 RPM shudder. Checked for software with IDS version 91.03... no new updates.

I thought I would throw in my personal experience here. I currently have a 2007 Montego. But now that my son is of age to drive, I have started looking for a 3rd car. My son actually likes my Montego, so it'll be mainly his car.

The Focus "was" tops on my list for a third car. But the wife had other ideas. Being the good husband I am, :) , I deferred to my wife's preferences. She recently saw a Ford Escape in the Ginger Ale Metallic color and fell in love with it. Since we car pool a lot and I don't really care which vehicle I drive, I thought I would let her decide. So we went shopping for an Escape. She likes the higher seating position (She's used to the 2003 F150 she drives now). Long story short, we're looking for a 2013 Ginger Ale Escape.

But in the back of my mind, I still had thought I would like the Focus better. We just went to Orlando for a week long vacation and needed to rent a car while down there. I was offered a 2013 Focus SE sedan with 30k on the clock. At first on the 45-55mph roads, I didn't find any issues with the Focus. I could tell it drove differently than my Montego, not as quiet as the Escape I tested, but OK. Down on power compared to my Montego for getting on the highway, but it was acceptable considering the better fuel mileage. It wasn't until we got near our hotel that I found issue with it.

At slow speed, the car was jerky. I was trying to do about 5 mph, but it kept wanting to shift to second. Then it would jerk and speed up. So I let off the gas, it jerks back down in speed. Within a few minutes, I was making the wife car sick in the back seat. By then we got to our hotel and checked in. It took me until the end of the trip, but I learned how to feather the gas just slightly so that I could eliminate "most" of the jerkiness. But by the end, I could tell the Escape was going to be better for us. The slow speed characteristics just turned me off of the Focus.

The Escape I tested was a Titanium, so it was quieter. Interior space fit us better. But I can chalk some of that up to manual seat Focus vs. power seat Escape. Of course I tested the 2.0EB Escape, so way more power, which I loved. And I had no issue with the Escape's slushbox transmission. It was smooth and event-less.

So I'm glad I had this chance to drive a Focus, and now I won't be left wondering if I should have bought a Focus. I'm still shopping for the exact Escape the wife wants. But I think the Focus transmission is holding Ford back from having a truly great compact car. The wife and I still loved the the Focus better than a Prius we rented once, so I'm not saying it's a horrible car by any means. But this trans needs to go.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I learned how to feather the gas just slightly so that I could eliminate "most" of the jerkiness. But by the end, I could tell the Escape was going to be better for us. The slow speed characteristics just turned me off of the Focus.

My Fiesta had the same issue with the feathering. Left hand turns at speed to avoid oncoming traffic and the Fiesta would jerk and stop. The heart-rate raised aside, the light touch would get it moving and quickly. It's a steep learning curve for the DCT.

My Escape Ti is just amazing! No issues in the powertrain deptartment. This summer, I wished it had cooled seats. My friends FX4 has them and I'm a believer.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a 2010 Focus and just got my car back today after having the transmission replaced. Luckily, it was still under the power train warranty and didn't cost me anything. My trouble began about 3 weeks ago, taking my son to work. After I dropped him off, I started to accelerate and the car hesitated, then jerked forward a little. Did it again a bit later then was fine. But it began making a rubbing noise in low gear. When it shifted up into the higher gears it was fine. I also noticed that when taking it out of park and putting it back in, you could hear a little grinding. Ended up taking it to a couple of places just to get it checked out and they noticed the rubbing noise. I set up an appointment at a local Ford dealership for about 2 weeks later. I still drove the car and other than the noise, it seemed to work fine. Then, last week, pulling out of a parking lot, my wife and I heard a grinding, but after that it seemed fine. Went to another store and pulled into a space and couldn't get it into Park. In fact, I couldn't get it past Neutral. My wife tried, and she got it in there and it was fine after that, except the original noise was louder. I stopped driving it till I took it to the dealer and as they moved the car, they could hear the noise plain as day. That was this past Monday. They called me yesterday to give me an update and said they would be replacing the trans with a new one, which they did today. I read the report the mechanic wrote and it looked the trans had some serious problems. Far more than I thought. Hopefully, the new one will give no trouble. Thinking about selling it in the near future and moving up to either an Escape or Fusion. Dealer gave a 2012 Fusion to use for the last few days and I really liked it, as did my wife. And I sure like the looks of the new Fusion.

My wife's 2012 is back in the shop at this moment. The trans was completely replaced 10k miles ago and it seemed to be okay for a while but now there is such slippage and lurching from 2-3 its unreal. I drove the car the other night for the first time in a while and couldn't believe the antics. I immediately scheduled and took it in. I just spoke with them and they're doing new clutch pack, seals and I believe SW update. We will see how this goes but if this trans F's up one more time I believe I will seek lemon law and try to get her a Fusion or who knows what. DCT is a POS.

• 4 weeks later...

Recently, I got a 2014 Focus as a rental car. It had the Powershift dual-clutch automatic transmission (being in the US, automatic transmission in rental cars is expected).

I could find none of the commented-about problems with it, even when intentionally trying to see if it would be rough and jerky in very low speed parking lot driving.

Recently, I got a 2014 Focus as a rental car. It had the Powershift dual-clutch automatic transmission (being in the US, automatic transmission in rental cars is expected).

I could find none of the commented-about problems with it, even when intentionally trying to see if it would be rough and jerky in very low speed parking lot driving.

That's what I keep trying to tell folks - my daughter's Focus has an occasional quirky moment but overall it drives just fine.

• 2 months later...

Just catching up on forums (haven't been online much over the past few months, and am just reading up on Nick's passing :( ...

Two weeks ago my PowerShift wouldn't go into "Sport" mode - as if something was physically preventing it from going from "D" to "S". Took it into the dealer. Turns out a clip holding the shifter cable somehow got loose. Dealer had to open the console and get things secured, as well as did a relearn of the transmission. It was also covered under powertrain warranty.

So far, everything seems to be normal after 60,000 km. I still get the odd shudder or quirky moment, but it seems like they come after I've driven in heavy city, stop and go traffic and get back to suburbia with less aggressive stopping and going.

• Like 1