California Highway Patrol picks Ford Explorer

I don't know the Oklahoma Highway Patrol's official policy, but a friend who is an OHP Trooper was filmed driving in excess of 120mph on Oklahoma back roads. They were shooting an episode of the TV show "Real Stories of the Highway Patrol," and one of the crews was riding along with him when he received a call of shots fired, officer down (IIRC, it turned out to be an erroneous call, so it didn't make the show). This would have been around 15 years ago, when he was still driving a Chebbie Shamu, so I don't know if he got up to 140, but he was definitely giving her the spurs, and he certainly wasn't disciplined for it.

A lot has changed in 15 years especially with pursuits. I still don't think any department would "recommend" their officers drive that fast.

:) thought some of us on here might like that. And yes I am!

Thx- excellent rticle-if you are a Blue Oval guy! Very similr to story that was in the Boston globe a while back on Mass state Police decision to go with Explorer. chargers were done at 80,000 miles.

OMG, their Chargers need brake pads every 3K to 5K! Their older CVs with twice the mileage need half the maintenance of the Charger, wow!

I want to see someone big like the L.A.County Sheriffs buy a bunch of Interceptors and see how they hold up. Maybe the CHP will get some for

work in the central valley where the aero of the PI would help economy. I can understand the Utilities in metro areas, and out in the boonies, where

extra storage space and visibility would be huge.

Edited by traxiii