Rented a 2013 Escape yesterday

I was able to snatch a 2013 Escape from Avis yesterday for a day trip to Raleigh and back. It was a 2.0 AWD SEL, leather, Sync, etc.. I drove more than 450 miles and was very impressed with the quality of the vehicle. We have a 2008 Edge Limited and everything you can see and touch is higher quality in the Escape. Ride was taut, but certainly not rough with great brakes. It handled well for a CUV and I was VERY surprised to get a measured 29.2 MPG from an AWD vehicle with less than 500 miles on it running 72 MPH most of the time. Our Edge has never gotten over 22 MPG... Very quiet even at high speeds although there's some tire noise on certain road surfaces. The seats are a bit firm, but at 6'5" and 260 I was never uncomfortable and had ENORMOUS leg room. It definitely feels narrower than the Edge around the shoulders and knees, but again, still comfortable. It can't touch the rear seat room of the Edge, but it wasn't cramped. I had no problems at all with Sync and experienced no delays or slow response to commands. Congratulations Ford, this is a class leading vehicle!

• Like 4

Thanks for the review. How long did you drive for and what type of roads were you on? The next time I'm in the market, I'm definitely renting one for the weekend. You get so much out of a car opposed to the test drive.

I drove from Charlotte to Raleigh and back on I-85/40 with a couple of side trips. There are a lot of hills on that route which didn't phase it at all. Went through a couple of a major construction zones which had their requisite holes, bumps and zigzag lanes, and side tripped with my wife on a couple of windy roads. The vehicle was solid as a rock and 2.0 Ecoboost in that vehicle is stellar!

Well, I just took a test drive with ex Twins pitcher Juan Berenguer. It was only about 5 miles, mostly surface streets and 2 miles or so on the freeway. I was pleasantly impressed with everything about the car. The ride was a little stiff, but handling was quick and responsive, pick up on the entrance ramp was excellent and cruising at 60 the passing power was equally excellent. I didn't expect the nice low engine growl, but liked it, and surprisingly I didn't notice any turbo whine when I punched the gas. The seats are much wider and roomier for my derriere and the front seat area has a similar layout as my Focus, but with much more room. The rear seat folding was effortless and there is a lot of room behind the rear seats. I think I'll be able to fit my clubs and cart in the back without even folding the seats. The Escape I drove had the Panoramic roof and I kind of wish I had ordered mine with one. Any second guessing I had regarding trading my 2012 Focus has now vanished.

I forgot to mention it was a 2.0L Titanium, 4WD

Edited by transitman

Well, I just took a test drive with ex Twins pitcher Juan Berenguer. It was only about 5 miles, mostly surface streets and 2 miles or so on the freeway. I was pleasantly impressed with everything about the car. The ride was a little stiff, but handling was quick and responsive, pick up on the entrance ramp was excellent and cruising at 60 the passing power was equally excellent. I didn't expect the nice low engine growl, but liked it, and surprisingly I didn't notice any turbo whine when I punched the gas. The seats are much wider and roomier for my derriere and the front seat area has a similar layout as my Focus, but with much more room. The rear seat folding was effortless and there is a lot of room behind the rear seats. I think I'll be able to fit my clubs and cart in the back without even folding the seats. The Escape I drove had the Panoramic roof and I kind of wish I had ordered mine with one. Any second guessing I had regarding trading my 2012 Focus has now vanished.

Juan Berenger, how cool! I remember watching him pitch when the Twins won the World Series. I have his autograph along with Hrbek, Gaetti, Gladden and the whole team on an unassembled Wheaties box and a homer hankie. It's probably my most prized possessions.

Juan Berenger, how cool! I remember watching him pitch when the Twins won the World Series. I have his autograph along with Hrbek, Gaetti, Gladden and the whole team on an unassembled Wheaties box and a homer hankie. It's probably my most prized possessions.

I thought it was him when I was walking into the dealership and when we got in the car I kept looking at him and he said "do you know who I am, I'm Juan Berenguer" I told him I thought he looked familiar, of course I didn't want to sound like an ass. I asked him about the Twins current pitching woes and last nights game and he said his wife wanted to watch another show so he didn't see it. Come on Juan, even I have two TV's. It was cool though. I didn't tell him I had already ordered a car from another dealership and was only there to test drive it.

transitman....why u trading in the focus?

More space, power and size.

For here at home, and I also own a home in Sun City, AZ that I drive to for a month in January and February. I need more space to haul stuff from here to there, for home improvement supplies, golf equipment and my brother comes to visit for a week, so I take his suit case and clubs with me. I also do some light off roading, nothing to drastic, just dirt trails to secluded spots in the desert and mountains. The Focus is too small and close to the ground for many of the trails. Also, driving through the mountains is a little hard on the Focus, and the 2.0L was revving pretty high. As great as the Focus is, I've never felt comfortable driving that low compared to most other vehicles, I want to sit up higher to get the big picture.

• Like 1

Wow, Juan Berenguer. That's not a name I hear frequently anymore. Of course, I remember him more as one of the Braves' closers in '91.

Good review, btw. I need to try one out sooner or later.

He came to the Braves the year we beat them to win the World Series. I'm not a huge baseball fan, mostly fair weather, so this isn't rubbing it in. 87 and 91 were exciting times, I'll never forget going downtown after the win in 87, I think I'm still hung over from that night of partying.

He came to the Braves the year we beat them to win the World Series. I'm not a huge baseball fan, mostly fair weather, so this isn't rubbing it in. 87 and 91 were exciting times, I'll never forget going downtown after the win in 87, I think I'm still hung over from that night of partying.

I didn't even start watching baseball (or sports in general) until '91, and destiny would have me to be a Braves' fan. Most analysts say that the '91 series was one of the best of all time.

• Like 1

The '87 World Series was a very bad series! Let us never mention it again! :)

• Like 1

Wow, Juan Berenguer. That's not a name I hear frequently anymore. Of course, I remember him more as one of the Braves' closers in '91.

Good review, btw. I need to try one out sooner or later.

I didn't even start watching baseball (or sports in general) until '91, and destiny would have me to be a Braves' fan. Most analysts say that the '91 series was one of the best of all time.

I thought it and the 1987 series were the best World Series. :)

The '87 World Series was a very bad series! Let us never mention it again! :)

Your Cardinals may have beat my Rangers last year, but at least they lost to my Twins in 87. :)

I thought it and the 1987 series were the best World Series. :)

I was only 11, but I remember them dam homer hankies and the Metrodome like it was yesterday. Still remember the depressing next day at school!

Your Cardinals may have beat my Rangers last year, but at least they lost to my Twins in 87. :)

Funny story about last year's series. My neighbors were at game 6 last year, and they just went to a game this past weekend. When asked about the game last weekend, the response was "boring!" You can't expect every game to be as exciting as game 6 last year! :)

Have to say I'm surprised to see new Escapes already making it to rental agencies so quickly, they were still making the old Escape last month. I know the new Focus is a rental darling now, my frequented agencies are filled with them. Wish Ford wasn't doing this all over again.

Edited by BORG
  • Like 1

Have to say I'm surprised to see new Escapes already making it to rental agencies so quickly, they were still making the old Escape last month. I know the new Focus is a rental darling now, my frequented agencies are filled with them. Wish Ford wasn't doing this all over again.

Doing what over again?

Ford's NAFLRO is the best fleet and remarketing business unit at any automaker operating in the U.S., IMO. Under the current leadership of Kevin Koswick, operations management at NAFLRO is top notch. Ford's OTD times for fleet customers are generally competitive, even taking into account production startup constraints on its newest models.

As Noah Harbinger mentioned, I'm not sure what you mean by the phrase "doing this all over again."

He used to pitch for the Tigers too. Don't remember the years, and it seems to me Gladden played for the Tigers also. Lots of rent a players out there for sure.

It wouldn't surprise me if this was one of the hail-damaged Escapes. I doubt fleet customers would normally order SEL models for rental use.

Don't worry Borg....the new Escape is no fleet queen. It's a very desirable small SUV/CUV and will do just fine retail wise getting much higher transaction prices than previous generation could in its dreams.

It wouldn't surprise me if this was one of the hail-damaged Escapes. I doubt fleet customers would normally order SEL models for rental use.

Hey, just take it to one of those ding proof places and they will have no trouble pulling out the minor dents with their tools.

Hey, just take it to one of those ding proof places and they will have no trouble pulling out the minor dents with their tools.

The quality of their work can vary widely. I'd rather pay more and have an undamaged vehicle, but some people may feel differently.

Ford has been pushing rental companies to buy more expesive models as not to depress or flood the used car market with el cheapo products

WTF are you talking about? This is standard operating procedure for Ford...They did it with the Focus back in 2010 and they are doing it with the Escape now...its smart...it lets new product get used and abused, and Ford can start looking for things to improve upon or fix.

Ford has been pushing rental companies to buy more expesive models as not to depress or flood the used car market with el cheapo products

WTF are you talking about? This is standard operating procedure for Ford...They did it with the Focus back in 2010 and they are doing it with the Escape now...its smart...it lets new product get used and abused, and Ford can start looking for things to improve upon or fix.

I can understand that with the initial launch certainly, or the other explanation is that they are hail damaged/repaired models. The Focus recently went through a massive fleet dumping episode for a few months which is what I'm primarily referring to as the bad habits coming to the rescue.