Acura designer tweaks 'the beak' (but it'll stay)

silvrsvt

"We concede that we went a little overboard at some points," Minami said in a recent interview. "We actually had pretty bad feedback on this initially from different directions. But we are not going to buckle under that pressure."

Hmm that isn't encouraging...no wonder why Honda styling dept is a hot mess

http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20120618/OEM03/306189976/1117/acura-designer-tweaks-the-beak-but-itll-stay

I have no problem with the toned-down version of the beak used on the new ILX and RDX.

The car people usually cite as the worst offender - the TL - has problems that go beyond the beak. From a side view, the nose simply looks too long on the unfacelifted version. From the front, the beak only aggravated this flaw. The "tweaked" model looks somewhat better.

Acura had a huge loyal fan base in the 90s. Their styling is off the wall now and I'm sure its hurt them. More evidence that Honda management refuses to admit mistakes and correct them. Acura styling is just like the Crosstour, a mistake that management refuses to back down and admit to.

I'm not defending them in the slightest, just wondering if arrogance or pin-headedness is indeed really the issue here. Think about it: they haven't exactly lit the market on fire with a dearth of great or innovative new product at all, and their batting average pretty much sucks lately when it comes to MCEs. Is this really a case of the two aforementioned qualities being exhibited? Or is the problem even scarier in regards to the fact that maybe they have absolutely no fucking clue where to go or what to do next, because everything they touch seems to go to hell in a hand basket.

I myself think the problems are much deeper than just the corporate attitude.

Acura had a huge loyal fan base in the 90s. Their styling is off the wall now and I'm sure its hurt them. More evidence that Honda management refuses to admit mistakes and correct them. Acura styling is just like the Crosstour, a mistake that management refuses to back down and admit to.

Honda and Acura need an identity again. Not sure what they stand for to differentitate them from crowd. No longer do they stand out from crowd fuel mileage, looks, or in handling/performance areas. Honda has lost its way and even its commercials on TV are lame. Quality and nostalgia are only things keeping them relevant these days. They have turned into this very conservative, afraid to take automotive risks company. That company needs a complete shakeup/rethink.

Yeah, I don't know what Honda/Acura are thinking. I never would have thought it possible to make something uglier than the current gaudy Cadillac nose, but there you have it.

Even Nissan (who I used to trust for conservative, consistent design) came out with this:

2011-Nissan-Juke-Front-View.jpg

Which reminds me of this:

Cartman-Special-Olympics-256x256.png

Come to think of it, that's worse than a Cadillac as well. What is the world coming to?