Ford's new 1.5 liter engine.

http://media.ford.com/news/fordstartsvolumevehicleproductioninromanianewfordb-maxfirstoffthelineatcraiovaplant.htm

Ford also confirmed today that it is starting to build a second engine at Craiova, a 1.5-litre petrol engine, which will go into volume production early next year. Further details concerning the engine will be released at a later date.

so any idea what this engine is?

an I-4? a larger I-3?

with current EcoBoost tech of 125hp per liter it would make 190hp, vs the 1.6's 180hp.

or ~120hp N/A

If it is an I-3 expect decent gain in economy over the 1.6 I-4.

Since they already build the 1.0 I-3 EB, it would make sense that this new 1.5 is also an I-3. I would be willing to bet that it's N/A as well.

This would make perfect sense. Use the two 3-cylinder engines to cover what was formerly N/A four territory. Then you have the 2.0/2.3 4-cylinders to handle most (but not all) of the ground covered by N/A V6s.

Speaking for the D16 in the Fiesta, it's a fine engine but the only substantial update to it was Ti-VCT. The plant's been around for a while so either it will get an update or it will be replaced. If it is replaced, I hope it's in time for the 2014 refresh.

The 1.5l is for the Asian market, Ford India uses it in the Fiesta and it is also Ti-VCT 107bhp mated to the dry clutch Powershift. Ford India

also offers the 1.6L Ti-VCT in the top trim level Fiesta

Edited by MKII

Must be the same 1.5 that was revealed in the EcoSport launch last month. I was trying to figure out where it came from... I think it will ultimately replace the 1.4 Sigma family Duratec engine currently being used in Europe.

Based on comparison to the Focus (larger car more HP) - 28/38mpg - Fiesta 29/39mpg. Smaller car with less hp gains you 1 mpg. YMMV.

There are limitations on how far you can go with MPG increases....the shortness of the Fiesta hurts in highway driving. Where it shines is in highway driving since its lighter then the Focus.

Heck Smartcars don't even get MPG numbers like the Focus does...

...so any idea what this engine is?...

mainly because it's coming so quickly

imho

(and that's all it is)

it's the 1.6 with the new 'indoor-plumbing' header

&

maybe with a slightly smaller bore (for turbo'ed reliability?)

...the "size" difference could be miniscule = mainly a rounding change,

1.544 vs 1.596

and done for marketing as much any other reason

It is begining to make sense.

ford had to develop a 1.5 liter engine to meet the tax laws of some Asian countries like India.

It's displacement is 1499CC

looks to share a lot with the current 1.6 liter engine.

When Australia signed a free trade deal with Thailand, they turned around and put a 100% tax on imported vehicles

with an engine capacity over 3.0 liters which effectively killed exports of Falcon and territory as well as Holden Commodore.

A move completely legal under international conventions but really sucks when you consider how this predator now floods

Australia with Ford, GM and Toyota products lured to its shores by cheap labor and low taxes.

All the while Australia is removing its last vestiges of import tariffs.