2007 Ford Expedition Pics

Closer inspection shows some questionable ergonomic moves:

1) why is the power seat memory on the side of the seat? You can't see it, which makes it very hard to set, adjust, or switch from "1" to "2" (in the event you have the other driver's key)

2) Cruise is on the left side, audio on the right, climate control is split between them. Seems this could've been divided up better.

3) least useful gauges are at the top of the instrument cluster--temp and fuel gauges are on the far left and right sides of the tach and speedo. Makes for unncessary eye-movement and change of focus to check on these things.

4) Climate controls are fine, as long as you leave system on auto (not a bad idea). Controls for front fan speed, rear fans speed, AC, recirc, and vent setting are not in any kind of order, but are scattered amidst other controls of lesser importance (outside temp, seat heating/cooling).

Items 1 & 3 are a departure from typical Ford practice (see the Zep for door mounted seat memory controls). Unfortunately Items 2 & 4 are SOP at Ford. Granted we're not talking HORRIBLE ergonomics, but these are little things that could be better.

Materials look first rate, though. I like that Ford is pushing the two-tone leather surfaces look across new models. It kind of classes up the cabin.

Edited by RichardJensen

1) why is the power seat memory on the side of the seat? You can't see it, which makes it very hard to set, adjust, or switch from "1" to "2" (in the event you have the other driver's key)

2) Cruise is on the left side, audio on the right, climate control is split between them. Seems this could've been divided up better.

3) least useful gauges are at the top of the instrument cluster--temp and fuel gauges are on the far left and right sides of the tach and speedo. Makes for unncessary eye-movement and change of focus to check on these things.

4) Climate controls are fine, as long as you leave system on auto (not a bad idea). Controls for front fan speed, rear fans speed, AC, recirc, and vent setting are not in any kind of order, but are scattered amidst other controls of lesser importance (outside temp, seat heating/cooling).

Items 1 & 3 are a departure from typical Ford practice (see the Zep for door mounted seat memory controls). Unfortunately Items 2 & 4 are SOP at Ford. Granted we're not talking HORRIBLE ergonomics, but these are little things that could be better.

I see what you are saying especially about the gauges. The temp and fuel level should be at the top like they are with most of the new Ford vehicles. Still, that instrument cluster is SWEET! Finally a new look, still easy to read and not boring!

This vehicle looks to be fully competitive with the new GM full-sized SUV's.

Edited by 2005Explorer

I think they used real wood...at least it looked real in the prototypes because it hadn't been properly finished.

Even if it's real, it doesn't look attractive int he places it's been used, especially as a faceplate for the door switchgear.

Edited by BORG

I think you would hit the button before you get into the seat to adjust it. I know if my GF drives my Mustang (she's 5'1 and I'm 6'2) I sure as hell need to put the seat back to get into it ;)

Anyways..the Interior looks pretty good, but the only thing I dont care about is the plastic material on the glove box...I have that same pebbly texture black plastic in my Mustang and it looks kinda cheap. It would look alot "richer" if it was a matte softtouch plastic

I think they used real wood...at least it looked real in the prototypes because it hadn't been properly finished.

Even if it's real, it doesn't look attractive int he places it's been used, especially as a faceplate for the door switchgear.

Gripe gripe gripe. Sez you, BTW, Opinions stated as facts, once again.

I was going to comment on the silly placement of the memory buttons on the side of the seat. Reminds me of the seat heater buttons that Ford used to place in the same location. :poke:

I am no expert, but I liked the location of the seat heater buttons on my GF's 99 expedition .... as long as the buttons down there are not copious enough to prevent tactile operation, it is fine by me .... although the memory setting should be visible.

Igor

Only two serious complaints with this truck. One, although the 5.4L V8 is fine for most buyers, I feel they really do need an optional engine for the Expedition, and definately for the Navigator. I'm also not optimistic about that black plastic over the glovebox... it might be soft-touch, but I'm afraid its the same crap you get in a $13,000 Ford Focus.

Other than that, absolutely magnificent showing from Ford here. Everything about it, save those two complaints, and ESPECIALLY the interior, makes the GMT900's look like trash. The fact that Ford tripled its interior budget is really showing these days. Not only does it look absolutely fantastic, but it lets you know you're in a big beefy truck, and not the Impala-esque Tahoe innards unbefitting of a vehicle in that price range. Though I'm sure the baser Expedition won't be quite as luxury-laden, that's the point of having two different trim levels. Between the Expedition Limited and Navigator, it warms my hear to see classic American luxury at its best. Too bad they couldn't apply the same efforts to the Crown Victoria and Lincoln Town Car.

^^MT had a video review and said the hood was raised exactly for the purposes of an optional engine - diesel, hurricane or a hybrid ... we shall see. ..

the Hurriane is supposed to make it by the time the new F150 debuts in 2008, Deisel has the same timeline, and HLA is already in the 08 SuperDuty and will likely make it with the above two engines... Lastly, we should not forget the Autonews speculation that Ford is planning on buying the GM two mode hybrid when that is finished n 2008.

Igor

Edited by igor

it might be soft-touch, but I'm afraid its the same crap you get in a $13,000 Ford Focus.

I'm thinking more "squishy elephant skin" like the Fusion. Ford by now ought to know enough not to have any thin hard surfaces that aren't painted to look like metal or wood (which, of course is the easy way to get by using cheap plastic).

BTW. this is the Eddie Bauer model. The Limited must be even dressier.

Edited by RichardJensen

I like it a lot. Although most of the sheet metal is carryover, the more angular appearance of the body cladding, lights, and grille really gives the overall shape a nice makeover.

I like the interior as well. A few ergonomic clutter missteps as others have pointed out, but it looks like a rather cohesive package overall.

I was going to comment on the silly placement of the memory buttons on the side of the seat. Reminds me of the seat heater buttons that Ford used to place in the same location. :poke:

My wife's 01 Expy has the memory seats with the buttons on the door. Since I never touch them (my keypad sets the memory for me), I think I would prefer them out of the way and not taking up space on the door panel. Once it is set, you should never really have to press it again as long as you use your personal key-less entry.

I do like the look of the 07 inside & out and wouldn't mind getting one, but with the promise of a possible bigger engine, diesel, hybrid, etc., do I wait? I bet most people that can wait, will.

Although most of the sheet metal is carryover...

On the EL, aren't only the front doors carried over?

I agree with the power seat button assessment. I mean, yes you adjust the seat before entering a vehicle, which is why on the seat it MIGHT be better. But for those of us who are selfish and don't share their vehicle (Me of course), I do have 2 settings programmed in memory. One is for usual driving, the other is for relaxed/long distance cruising. So in my case, having it on the door, is something I prefer.

I also do not appreciate this latest trend by Ford to make smaller needles on their gauges. I like the longer, pointier ones, seems classier than these blocky stubby little things.

I like the seats, they seem a bit more serious and robust. Nice headrest design for rear passengers, helps visibility when not in use.

And my biggest pet peeve on words for awhile... Why the hell does the recirculation mode on the A/C reset itself to outside air, each and everytime I turn on the vehicle. If I set it for RECIRC ONLY, it should STAY as that !!

And my biggest pet peeve on words for awhile... Why the hell does the recirculation mode on the A/C reset itself to outside air, each and everytime I turn on the vehicle. If I set it for RECIRC ONLY, it should STAY as that !!

To keep you from suffocating, maybe?

On certain Volvos it is impossible to leave the car on recirc for extended periods of time. Recirc shuts off after 10 minutes.

Besides, if your car is hotter inside than outside, recirc makes more work for the A/C compressor, not less.

yawn, but yawner vehicles sell, so yawn on.

what exactly is underneath that front console?

looks like a LOT of wasted space.

if you lifted out that bin under the center pod, would there be SPACE under there?

personally, me, and my wife, are always looking for places to store stuff in the car 'long-term'.

things like ice-scrapers, snow-brushes, chamois (sp?) cloths.

then there are the items we like to store, out of sight: CD's, car wash coupons, laptops, curling irons...

it would be nice to have a little inside 'trunk' to keep that kind of stuff in, stuff that we don't access all that often, or are willing to keep buried a little deeper than everyday stuff...emergency fold-up umbrellas speak of the devil...

have to agree, that radio area looks kinda raw. Ford hasn't done a good radio in decades.

News to me. Got a link?

well it was outoweek

http://www.autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dll/arti...mp;Profile=1041

although I believe Autonews mentioned it recently and made it look like thye know more than this piece from autoweek.. I am too lazy to look for it though - especially because I get my Autonews articles through GMI or here ... I do not actually subscribe.

Igor

Edited by igor

Materials look first rate, though. I like that Ford is pushing the two-tone leather surfaces look across new models. It kind of classes up the cabin.

1. I can see what you mean here but like it was said before, owners will usually have their own keys or, as in the case of our explorer (no memory seats) will adjust the seat before getting in.

2. The only thing i can think with this one is they wanted to keep the design symmetrical, but i see your point. i'll probably only take a few mins getting used to though.

3. Yeah, but then again, Ford put these gauges within gauges that you're most likely to see all the time. I mean, you'll alway be looking at the tach and mph gauge so why not put the two moreimportant gauges within these gauges.

4. If you look closely, the driver temp (which controls everything i not in dual or tri-zone mode) is right above the fan control for the front zone. The passenger and rear temp controls are above the rear fan control. Sure at first they look that way but under closer examination, you'll see that everything is actually in the right place.

^^MT had a video review and said the hood was raised exactly for the purposes of an optional engine - diesel, hurricane or a hybrid ... we shall see. ..

the Hurriane is supposed to make it by the time the new F150 debuts in 2008, Deisel has the same timeline, and HLA is already in the 08 SuperDuty and will likely make it with the above two engines... Lastly, we should not forget the Autonews speculation that Ford is planning on buying the GM two mode hybrid when that is finished n 2008.

Igor

HLA?