All New Escape a Runaway Success

Now you're getting it!

I really didn't feel that inch difference when sitting in 2013 Escape, but then I don't drive a 2012 Escape everyday. Anyway, I see the inch lower as a plus and I get the feeling you see it as negative. Again, an inch or so lower silhouette makes hand washing and mounting stuff on roof easier, and makes for significantly better fuel mileage coupled with all new engines. I doubt if AWD new Escape is less capable towing or going through snow than old one.

I really didn't feel that inch difference when sitting in 2013 Escape, but then I don't drive a 2012 Escape everyday. Anyway, I see the inch lower as a plus and I get the feeling you see it as negative. Again, an inch or so lower silhouette makes hand washing and mounting stuff on roof easier, and makes for significantly better fuel mileage coupled with all new engines. I doubt if AWD new Escape is less capable towing or going through snow than old one.

For me it's a negative on paper because every inch of height increases visibility significantly and it's one of the reasons I prefer SUV/Crossovers. It's still much better than a car and it's not a deal-breaker, but it definitely is an influential factor in what I decide to buy. I'm a rather tall fella so I equate height with comfort, but that's not always the case as is evident with cars like the Old (and new) Explorer. The Escape is actually well packaged for a skinny tall-dude like myself (Edge is best for tall and fat dudes).

Edited by BORG

I saw my first Escape on the road. I was sitting in a pub in Vancouver waiting for the football game to start down the road. A black SEL w/EB drove past. Now, I saw one already on the lot where I'm from but in motion it looks just great. Factor in this corner is a normal spot to shoot movies, tv shows and commercials. So I watched the other folks instead of the car. It does turn heads.

I don't think .5 of difference in ground clearance is going to make a huge difference in the snow...heck I tried to get my Escape stuck in 3-4 ft of snow and couldn't....

Not a huge difference however if you consider the entire bottom surface area an extra 1/2" will create more drag. All I know is my 2011 is a champ in deep snow conditions and you would be surprised what the thing can get through. I do like sitting higher even if it might impact handling compared to a lower slung vehicle. I don't really feel the old Escape was dated like say an older Taurus is dated because Ford did keep improving it's power trains and technology. It was time for a change and I don't think anyone is debating that the Escape could go on without being redesigned. Some of us wish that the new design would have been more evolutionary then revolutionary, however with the whole One Ford thing going on it is unlikely that we will ever see smaller vehicles designed in North America for the North American market again in the future. It is a bit ironic however since the North American market is what is keeping Ford going these days.

• Like 2

Not a huge difference however if you consider the entire bottom surface area an extra 1/2" will create more drag. All I know is my 2011 is a champ in deep snow conditions and you would be surprised what the thing can get through. I do like sitting higher even if it might impact handling compared to a lower slung vehicle. I don't really feel the old Escape was dated like say an older Taurus is dated because Ford did keep improving it's power trains and technology. It was time for a change and I don't think anyone is debating that the Escape could go on without being redesigned. Some of us wish that the new design would have been more evolutionary then revolutionary, however with the whole One Ford thing going on it is unlikely that we will ever see smaller vehicles designed in North America for the North American market again in the future. It is a bit ironic however since the North American market is what is keeping Ford going these days.

This implies that the new Escape is somehow less than satisfactory for the North American market which is simply ridiculous. All indicators seem to say that the new Escape easily satisfies everything the old Escape did. Styling is subjective, and we all know you don't like the styling of the new Escape. I can guarantee that if the new Escape were a box on wheels like you want that it would still have less ground clearance than the old Escape, fuel efficiency gains have to come from somewhere and reducing ground clearance is an easy way to accomplish some gains in efficiency.

Edstock........you're right! The Kia minivan was a Windstar clone!

I'm not a fan of Kia/Hyundai copycat designs, usually Ford is the victim. But one Kia vehicle stands out, and that is the Optima. I really love that design and it seems so cohesive and not disjoined at all. Best looking mid sizer out there IMO. Conversely, not a fan of the Sonata. Really don't like the exterior or interior. The Optima is one Asian vehicle I would be tempted to buy on looks alone.

• Like 1

I'm not a fan of Kia/Hyundai copycat designs, usually Ford is the victim. But one Kia vehicle stands out, and that is the Optima.

I agree, it's the best looking of the Asian sedans. The rear quarter "C" pillar/roofline design is really clever, IMHO, and the sled looks much better than it photographs.

• Like 1

I know that I wouldn't of considered an Escape until the 2013. The old one was a well packaged vehicle, and I liked the styling over the years, but it was time to move on. My issue was mostly the hard plastic interior, fuel economy, and NVH. I have driven many Escapes over the years (my sister owns one and friends have one), and I just took delivery of the 2013, and it's amazing the refinement of the 2.0 engine and the quietness of the interior. Along with great features and quality interior materials. If they don't have any major 1st year issues (ala 2012 Focus) I don't see why this vehicle wouldn't be a hit.

I'm interested in seeing how well Kia is going to sell that $35K Optima "Limited".... they have the audacity to ask that much...they have come a long way but the jury is still out on long term durability. Lets talk in 5 years.... I'm already speaking to some current Sonata owners 2-3 years in, and they aren't too ecstatic with their purchase.

Speaking of assembly issues, I noticed the Escapes on the dealer lot had some very obvious dashboard issues with misaligned parts. I would avoid the Escape in the first year, Ford hasn't demonstrated a good grasp on IQ on recent launches.

Edited by BORG
  • Like 1

Haven't heard much from you. How are you liking your Escape, what do you like most and did you get the body alignment issues taken care of? Time to change your signature from On Order to Current.

I am liking it, didn't know how useful the kick to open liftgate would be, but it's one of those things that's very handy as your hands are full unloading the back more than you think. I have only put about 300 miles on it so far, as I was on vacation last week, but drove to work 40 miles this morning net 31MPG as before. Interior much quieter and 2.0 engine smoother and more refined than the 2012 Focus. Transmission MUCH better than the PowerShift, glad to be out of that mess of a transmission. Got the body alignment issue resolved, the hood was tweaked, don't know if it happened in assembly, or when it was moving between holding lots or loaded on the truck.

I guess there is a delivery hold on ones that were built the beginning of June, hense why some people are not recieveing theirs yet. Mine was adjusted and then sent out of the factory. On Escapes that were built March 8, 2012 through June 7, 2012, there is a delivery hold because of improper pad placement under the drivers side carpet, and trim panel on center console. Mine was built in this range, held at the plant, adjusted and then delivered late. May be why there is a backup on these.

Edited by svtenthusiast

Speaking of assembly issues, I noticed the Escapes on the dealer lot had some very obvious dashboard issues with misaligned parts. I would avoid the Escape in the first year, Ford hasn't demonstrated a good grasp on IQ on recent launches.

Luckily mine doesn't have the dash issue, I have seen it on a stock vehicle. Ford has acknowledged a warping issue with the defroster grille trim and engineering is working on the problem. Takes me back to the days when my Contours dash warped so bad, it popped the defroster grill right off.

Luckily mine doesn't have the dash issue, I have seen it on a stock vehicle. Ford has acknowledged a warping issue with the defroster grille trim and engineering is working on the problem. Takes me back to the days when my Contours dash warped so bad, it popped the defroster grill right off.

Ah, that's exactly what I saw on all 4 Escapes at the dealership! So it's a known issue.

I saw my first 2013 Escape on the street yesterday, and just like at dealerships and at auto shows, I was reassured by how much boxier it looks in person than in photos.

I noticed this too, and an added bonus is that it helps the Escape stand out, even as it's adopted some of the segment's cliches.

Saw another 2013 this morning. I don't remember a recent Ford that I saw so many of so soon after launch. (Though I did see a lot of Flex at launch...)

I've actually seen tons of 2013 Fords lately, even the new Flex and MKT appear with surprising regularity on my commutes. The Escape is still a more rare sighting however. I've seen all of 3 so far.

Still haven't seen them (besides the dealer lots) in my area of MD. I do have to say the styling is more boxy/Explorer-like then I expected. They have a really nice Ruby Red and Dark Blue one at the local dealership I went past this AM..they really stick out.

saw the first one on highway today and looks much better in person than online/brochure photos.

I agree, although I've only seen one so far. In pix it looks lots like a Hyundai or Kia or whatever, but in person it really seemed to cut a unique shape.