Hey, Insiders-a question...

I believe the rumored number was about 240hp ....

Igor

Well, if they add variable cam timing to the other camshaft, I think that would net us around 20hp. I'm not sure if there's a plan to do this, though. I'll keep my eyes open for strange valve cover bulges.

Swizco

That actually isn't a bad idea as a stop gap. And as seen on the S-type, it shouldn't be that difficult either. Actually the Escape is the only vehicle I see would benefit from this the most if it doesn't receive the 3.5L, and of course, the Fusion/Milan. I would doubt they would even bother with the 500/Mtg since they receive it after the Edge/Markie.

Would be interesting to see what Ford will use to replace the 3.0L Vulcan in the Ranger. Either it dies along with the vehicle, or just offer the 2.3L and 4.0L

Well, if they add variable cam timing to the other camshaft, I think that would net us around 20hp. I'm not sure if there's a plan to do this, though. I'll keep my eyes open for strange valve cover bulges.

Swizco

Lets hope for the best and quick. I noticed an ad for the Caddy CTS touting its 210 hp V-6. That doesn't sound impressive at all vs the Zep's 221. So why isnt anyone bashing the Caddy for its lack of power.

Lets hope for the best and quick. I noticed an ad for the Caddy CTS touting its 210 hp V-6. That doesn't sound impressive at all vs the Zep's 221. So why isnt anyone bashing the Caddy for its lack of power.

Good point!! Sometime these HP wars have to end, and the emphasis has to be on economy and adequate power for intended use. If it needs to downshift occasionally because of a weak economical engine....so be it. That's how I feel about our 3.0 Montego. if you want performance, Ford offers that in other vehicles.

Remember, while Ford has said the 3.5 is more fuel efficient, that doesn't mean a car with it gets better milage. For a people mover, I'll take milage over performance.

If it needs to downshift occasionally because of a weak economical engine....so be it.

Have you noticed a tendency for your Montego to 'hunt' for gears? I often hear this complaint about Ford's transmissions, and wonder if the shift algorithims on press fleet vehicles isn't all screwed up from varied usage driver to driver. I've never had a problem with 4-speed transmission Fords, and was curious if you had any with your 6-speed Montego.

Have you noticed a tendency for your Montego to 'hunt' for gears? I often hear this complaint about Ford's transmissions, and wonder if the shift algorithims on press fleet vehicles isn't all screwed up from varied usage driver to driver. I've never had a problem with 4-speed transmission Fords, and was curious if you had any with your 6-speed Montego.

I'm really a manual trans guy at heart....but have been very impresed with this ASIN 6 speed. It always seems to be in the correct gear. Better than any of the 5 speeed auto Explorers I have owned in the past. It seems to be programed to keep RPM very low unless you depress throttle some, which is main reason I think people believe these cars are underpowered. This trans works every bit as sommoth as my Honda...as an example. So I have noticed no annoying or unusual "hunting".

What i don't know is how the car will do in the mountains. I already know that on long steep interstate hills @ 70-75 it will downshift to 5th while in cruise....about 200-300 RPM which as I recall puts it about same as being in 4th in 4 speed auto Taurus I have owned. The car has no way to manually hold it in 3rd, 4th, or 5th, so trans will have to do the job. It's an impressive piece...made by Toyota i guess....but I'm sure electronics are calibrated by Ford. Also....according to the owners manual....we service this ASIN 6 speed at 30,000 mile intervals....unlike the "sealed" unit in my 2002 Explorer. I never liked the idea of not servicing a transmission.

I'm sure most will appreciate the 3.5, but I won't trade just to get it. I kinda like the overall package with the 3.0. If I feel the need to lay some rubber, will just use the Mach. If you use the 3.0 at altitude or haul max loads, the 3.5 will probably suit one best. But for our use, the 3.0 is fine.

Edited by Ralph Greene

I'm also a 6-speed Montego owner and the only time I notice it is after extended, as in 3 to 4 hours or more, highway driving, then while the car is re-adapting to stop and go city driving there is some hunting, as well a bit more roughness in the engine. Other than that the shifts are almost imperceptible most of the time. Hot dry weather also makes the engine seem a little rougher than usual too.

I'm also a 6-speed Montego owner and the only time I notice it is after extended, as in 3 to 4 hours or more, highway driving, then while the car is re-adapting to stop and go city driving there is some hunting, as well a bit more roughness in the engine. Other than that the shifts are almost imperceptible most of the time. Hot dry weather also makes the engine seem a little rougher than usual too.

With my vehicle, and my regular commute, shifts are like clockwork. Including a rather annoying drop into O/D at the bottom of a ramp leading up to a viaduct.

This may provide some information...

http://media.ford.com/article_display.cfm?article_id=2574

Also, I would suspect that the Aisin transmission in the D3s accepts a limited command set, perhaps as limitd as 'shift up' or 'shift down'; which means Ford could use their ATC unit to tell the Aisin unit when to shift, without having to customize the Aisin.