2013 Escape Leaking Roof

In order to be covered by the Illinois Lemon Law, a vehicle must:

--have a nonconformity that both substantially impairs the use , market value or safety of the vehicle and is not repairable by the dealer or manufacturer in at least four attempts for the same repair, or

--be out of service for a total of 30 or more business days.

I believe IL may have one of the tougher lemon laws (NOT in favor of the consumer) unfortunately.

I do not have my VIN handy, but will look it up later and post it.

Escapism What pattern are you talking about?

A38365. Built 6/29 roof leaks

A84164. Built 8/13 replacement vehicle

B06390 built 9/04 my Titanium expecting delivery in couple of days

Can you see the pattern now? Maybe the ones built during the "A" cycle around production number 38365 have the roof problem. Someone else on another forum (Edmunds I think) has a roof leak and if their VIN is in the same or close to this production cycle we may be able to alert other owners.

A38365. Built 6/29 roof leaks

A84164. Built 8/13 replacement vehicle

B06390 built 9/04 my Titanium expecting delivery in couple of days

Can you see the pattern now? Maybe the ones built during the "A" cycle around production number 38365 have the roof problem. Someone else on another forum (Edmunds I think) has a roof leak and if their VIN is in the same or close to this production cycle we may be able to alert other owners.

This is not a pattern. There is one that has a leak, one that does not, and one that has yet to be delivered. Even if there is another one on another forum it still does not make a pattern. Now if there were multiply Escapes with this problem then we could find a pattern, but there are just to few to call this a pattern.

Here is a vin # decoder that will show what the letters and numbers mean.

https://www.fleet.ford.com/maintenance/vin_tools/default.asp

Thanks. Looks like the last six digits are production sequence numbers. I have seen a couple window stickers with the Escapes built on the same day and their numbers were very close. Example, last three numbers were 403 and 390. One was delivered to a dealer in MD and the other to a dealer in VA. Both came up on the same train. That's why I thought it might help to compare VINs on the leaky vehicles.

My leaky 2013 Escape VIN is 1FMCU9HX8DUA39646.

So of the two VIN numbers we have with leaky roofs, one was built on 06/25 and the other on 06/29. Just 4 days apart. Now we just need novascotiaguy from the other forum to give us his VIN to see when his leaky roof Escape was built. I may be full of crap but it's worth a try.

Edited by Escapism

So of the two VIN numbers we have with leaky roofs, one was built on 06/25 and the other on 06/29. Just 4 days apart.

Read an old book called "Wheels" by Arthur Haley...

I want mine born on a Wednesday....

You got that right:

06/25/12 = Monday

06/29/12 = Friday

I guess the old adage, "Never buy a vehicle built on a Monday or Friday" still applies (well, for domestic vehicles, anyway).

Edited by ruteger

Another posted roof leak over on Edmunds forum. This is not good news, especially since the other two VIN # posted with leaks were built 6/25 and 6/29. The latest one is a 8/16 build date. That's a pretty wide spread which leads me to believe its not just "old" or "defective" caulking. Either a bad design or the process is seriously flawed. Very bad news. I mean really Ford!! Roof racks have been around forever. What the hell is going to happen when I put 5 sheets of drywall up there??

• Like 1

It would surprise me if they are using any type of "caulk" or sealant in this area. I suspect all of the sealing is done by gaskets. If it was something with the roof rack, why don't we see reports of non-sunroof cars with an issue (or maybe I am erroneously assuming all of these have sunroofs). I will bet there is an issue with the sunroof not being sealed properly...either bad parts or a tool out of spec or a human that wasn't trained properly (or just doesn't give an intercourse).

Boy, some of you are really trying to create a conspiracy here. Let's see, based on information compiled here and at the Edmunds forum, so far there are reports of what, three, or four leaking roofs. A problem if you have one, but far from wide spread. And robots don't know what day it is.

Edited by transitman