2013 Escape 4WD 1.6L or 2.0L, which to get?

Snoberon

After driving the same vehicle for 11+ yrs, I've decide on something new!

I'm trying to decide which engine to get in the Escape, I have an '01 F-150 S/C 4x4 with the 5.4L.

What I am wondering is if the 1.6L would seem under powerered to me after driving a V-8 ?

Any insight would be much appricatied

Thank you

Get the 2.0. The 2.0 has 270 ft lb of torque and that was V8 territory a number of years ago.

All the car magazines said the 1.6 is "sufficient", but if a couple less miles per gallon are gonna break the bank maybe a brand new car is something you should not be considering.

Edited by pillboy

if you're coming down from a 5.4L V8, I would go with the 2.0

although, I test drove a 1.6 and it didn't seem underpowered.

Do you want a tow package? if so, you can't get it with a 1.6

Ask yourself, what are you going to be using this Escape for? everyday driving / commuting? towing?

I test drive both the 1.6L and the 2.0L and I like the performance of both. If you want the gas mileage then I would choose the 1.6L but if you don't care about the gas mileage that I would definitely pick the 2.0L. I added the tow package to my Escape so I have to get the 2.0L but I would have pick the bigger engine anyway.

Edited by ansi789

My vote is for the 2.0L engine. In addition to what others have mentioned, I've found the 2.0L unit exhibits notably better NVH characteristics. The 1.6L is rather loud and unrefined above 3,500 rpm.

Incidentally, the 2.0L and 1.6L Ecoboost units are derived from entirely different engine families. The chain-driven 2.0L is Mazda MZR based whereas the belt-driven 1.6L is a successor to the Ford of Europe designed Zetec SE/Sigma family.

• 1 month later...

I drove both and preferred the 1.6. The 2.0 had a lag when you punch the gas. The 1.6 did not do that. I test drove the 2.0 first and one of the first things we did is jump on the highway. When I punched the gas to merge there was a ½ second lag, it was kind of scary. Mentioned this to the Sales guy and he said it was the turbo response. The 1.6 did not have the lag. Not sure why since they both have turbo. I ended up getting the 1.6 because the options really start to add up and I had to choose and I felt that the performance of the 1.6 was plenty adequate, however I can see the attraction on getting the bigger engine

There's a new video (out yesterday) from Consumer Reports in which they road test the SE (1.6) and a Titanium (2.0). In it, they say while the 1.6 is sufficient, the 1.6 shifted more, and seemed at times to have issue with finding the right gear when downshifting. They surmized that the reason the 2.0 gets within 1 mpg of the 1.6 is because the 1.6 works harder.

Glad to read you're going with the 2.0 :hyper:

Edited by PajamaGuy

Yeah, I went with the 2.0 . Do I regret it? Hell no. It is so nice to be able to pass someone on the highway without having to floor it. My previous vehicle (toyota rav 5-speed manual, 4 banger)was just too underpowered. The bonus for me is I'm pretty much getting the exact same gas mileage as the toyota got but i get 70 to 80 more horse power and much more foot pounds of torque. I got the tow package just in case the zombie apocalypse comes true and I need to tow extra ammo. :drool:

I drove both and preferred the 1.6. The 2.0 had a lag when you punch the gas. The 1.6 did not do that. I test drove the 2.0 first and one of the first things we did is jump on the highway. When I punched the gas to merge there was a ½ second lag, it was kind of scary. Mentioned this to the Sales guy and he said it was the turbo response. The 1.6 did not have the lag. Not sure why since they both have turbo. I ended up getting the 1.6 because the options really start to add up and I had to choose and I felt that the performance of the 1.6 was plenty adequate, however I can see the attraction on getting the bigger engine

You need to drive a turbo Subaru and have your definition of "turbo lag" recalibrated. You really learn how to plan your moves.