Houston, we have a problem; 2013 Escape service engine light

sirsaint

Picked up my '13 Escape this evening from the dealership. The yellow service engine light came on. I did notice that when coming to a complete stop and upon acceleration the engine seems very hesitant. But once I'm above 10mph it seems normal.

Hope it's nothing major. Oh well! back to the dealership tomorrow @ 8am.....

To be continued.........

1.6 engine

Brought to Ford dealer this morning and initial diagnosis is fuel injector problem. Spoke to the mechanic who checked it out and he stated something wrong with fuel injector and will be able to dive into it on Monday due to limited service crew available on a Saturday.

Ford identified problem with the fuel injectors as being "computer related". Dealership contacted Ford on what direction to go and Ford said they will replace the computer. Will take a few days to get and install new computer since new year model and has to ship from Ford.

one week down and still not fixed, new computer won't ship from Ford until next week. New estimate from dealership today is another 2 weeks without my Escape. The pains of having a new year model. It is what it is, that I just happened to be the one who got a unit with a defective computer. The part is on order and will eventually be replaced . But, what is more disappointing is the level of customer service from Ford has been non existent! Ford has left me hanging. No loaner car provided, no rental car assistance. Still awaiting call back from customer service.

But, what is more disappointing is the level of customer service from Ford has been non existent! Ford has left me hanging. No loaner car provided, no rental car assistance. Still awaiting call back from customer service.

So you are going to be 3 weeks without your brand new car and not even a loaner? That is pathetic.

I doubt a domestic manufacturer short of Cadillac (and maybe Buick) would provide a free loaner. I suspect anyone getting a free loaner when a Ford is in for service is experiencing a dealership provided benefit and not one supported by Ford.

That said, the sales manager should have stepped up and offered up his demonstrator, or at least given you something off the used car lot. You might also have been treated differently if you were a repeat customer of said dealership, or someone of some standing in the local community (if a small dealer in a small town).

Os asked for your Escape back until the part came in and see what other warrant covered damage you could inflict upon it by driving it. You can drive it when the CEL is glowing steady and not flashing.

Edited by pillboy

While i never was required to leave a car overnight, the dealer did offer to drive me home or to the local shopping mall. their waiting room was quite nice and provided free coffee and snack along with wi/fi or a terminal to use.

On the other hand, my VW Passatt was required to stay at the dealer to have a fault repaired under a recall. no loaner offered at all.

If I were to be without a brand new vehicle for three weeks and no loaner was offered I'd flip. It's not like it's a well used vehicle. Even my Harley dealer offered a free loaner bike when I dropped mine off for a routine service visit that would take a day.

If the engine developed into a issue requiring a recall, the car will take a major hit in its reputation. I had to opportunity to see a 2013 parked next to my car last week. Seeing them side by side was my best indication of the size and capacities. Now more than even I'm beginning to think the 2013 will not meet my needs. Even better was having a new Kia Sorento parked right next to the Escape. It was like a setup. Only downside is the gas mileage isn't quite as good on the Kia but still better than my 08.

Edited by rscalzo

The Hyundai Santa Fe is new for 2013 (two versions with different bodies,2-row and 3-row seating being the major difference anlong with engines being offered). I suspect a new version of the Sorento won't be far behind.

And the ESP warranties (not sure of which exact levels) offer rental car coverage (up to $30 per day I believe).

Rscalzo,

Coming from a 2008 Mariner Hybrid, I made the same assessment that you did, and thus brought home a 2013 Santa Fe Sport ( 2.4 engine, all three packages )on Wednesday. When you look at the Santa Fe, take note, not only of the overall space differences, but of the various storage areas.

Edited by johndixs

I'm also impressed with the redesigned Santa Fe. It looks good on paper; I want to test-drive it to see how it handles. The problem with the Sport 2.0T trim is it gets really expensive if you add both packages, while there are only a few useful things in those packages. With Ford you can build whatever you like - not too many stupid color/trim/package limitations.

Actually KIA Sorento is not due for an update for 2-3 more years. The current generation is 2009, with mid-cycle refresh happened this year. Sorento used to be on my list, but the design is not so great, and the colors induce depression. The "blue" one is so dark you can see it's somewhat blueish only under a bright sun. Other colors are no better. Thankfully there are more compelling CUVs this year.