Making Push Button Start a Standard Feature

Furious1Auto

ard On All Ford Products?  

59 members have voted

1. 1. Would You like To See Push Button Start Standard On All Ford Products?

• Yes
    • No

Hybrid technology is a joke. A '92 Geo Metro is about the same size as a Prius, and gets nearly the same fuel economy. Plus the purchase price of a hybrid is on average $7K+ more then it's gas variants. Also no one wants to drive a sub-compact. The only time that hybrid sales do well is when the price of gas is manipulated to artificially high levels.

:nonono:

If you think a Metro is comparable to a Prius in any regard whatsoever besides the fact that they have 4 tires, I can't in good conscience continue this discussion.

Push button start doesn't cost less. You need a RF enable key and a receiver AND the touch sensitive door handles AND the keypad on the door AND the software that controls it all. The actual push button is but a small piece.

And I GUARANTEE you Ford would LOSE more sales if that was a standard feature on all vehicles than it would gain if it was just an option. There are a lot of people that don't want high tech stuff.

Yeah, boomers that don't know how to use electronic devices. There is nothing to understand, its automatic. Your right about the hardware, and initially it would cost more. But once the software is paid for then it can be duplicated for free, once the supply chains are in place the price will drop. Ford would have vendors competing for the contracts to build the hardware, and likely outsource the work to countries that build electronic components very cheaply. In the long run it would probably be cheaper I bet, and less hassle handling, and tracking key cuts by VIN.

As for the loss of customers, well you and I disagree. To find out who is correct we only have to do some marketing research. To do the study it is as simple as requiring the salesman at the dealerships to ask every prospective customer that comes on to the lot to buy a new car what their opinion is, without leading the question.

Edited by Furious1Auto

Yeah, boomers that don't know how to use electronic devices. There is nothing to understand, its automatic. Your right about the hardware, and initially it would cost more. But once the software is paid for then it can be duplicated for free, once the supply chains are in place the price will drop. Ford would have vendors competing for the contracts to build the hardware, and likely outsource the work to countries that build electronic components very cheaply. In the long run it would probably be cheaper, or at least a wash.

As for the loss of customers, well you and I disagree. To find out who is correct we only have to do some marketing research. To do the study it is as simple as requiring the salesman at the dealerships to ask every prospective customer that comes on to the lot to buy a new car what their opinion is, without leading the question.

Some people do not want any electronic stuff on their vehicle because they see it as something they will have to pay extra to fix down the road. Those fobs/RFID credit cards are not cheap to replace either. These people post in public forums every day.

My daughter has a 2012 Focus that was purchased used with 120 miles on it. Why? Because the older couple who bought it didn't like the MFT interface and they certainly would not have liked push button start.

So either all of these people posting constantly about not wanting a vehicle with high tech features are lying or you're just not paying attention. I vote for the latter.

Like you said, "older" couple. Their positions need to be considered also, however their generation is not the emerging market. It is time to stop tailoring marketing plans to suit they're needs. To what degree should their desires be incorporated into new product offerings?

The fobs, and cards are very expensive (at retail price). Not to the manufacturer though, they buy in bulk, and at a unit price well below what we ever could. You don't really think Ford is paying $120+ for the integrated Keyfobs for their new products do you?

Also was the couple experiencing troubles with the system? Here is a Link that I found on the MFT.

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/03/30/fords-second-gen-sync-system-off-to-a-buggy-start/#continued

The funny thing is that I remember reading a smart ass comment on this site when Ford initially partnered up with Microsoft. The comment was "Great does that mean every time the system locks up will you have to pull over and restart your car to get the radio to work?" That was in response to windows performance on PC's in the past. Luckily the newer versions of Windows seem more reliable, but the older versions would get confused quite frequently.

Edited by Furious1Auto

Quite the contrary, I am able to take criticisms and use them to refine an idea until we have well thought out solutions to problems. I will have my engineer's license by the end of next year. Essentially I am an engineer less the proper credentials, but I'm working on completing the requirements now. It's easy with this topic, I know what I want, and see how others would benefit from the same. Also what the impact would be on perception of Ford products if the offering was wide spread.

Edited by Furious1Auto

That's just it - it's not an engineering problem, it's a marketing problem.

Ford gets all of the benefits by making push button start an option on all models. It gains nothing by making it standard on every vehicle. In fact they are guaranteed to lose customers by doing that.

Bob Lutz built cars that he liked but nobody bought them. It's never a good marketing move to assume everyone else likes what you like.

Yeah, but my desire is not what fueled this conversation. It is my irritation every time I hear an artist brag that all their cars start with the push of a button, and the knowledge that Ford had not even offered NAV in the entry level models in the past while Honda, and Toyo were. This is opportunity. You continue to maintain that it would cost them customers, while I suggest that it will gain them positive perception, but the truth is without market research neither of us knows anything for certain. I'm pretty sure that people that might not want the feature would be making this decision based out of ignorance. They don't even know what it is. It almost has to be experienced to be appreciated. We have all heard the people say, that's just more that can go wrong, but the reality is that toys sell. The after market makes billions annually selling tech that the auto manufactures don't have the testicular fortitude to offer. I spent over $6K on my Fusion just this year in parts and paint making it what I want. People would much rather have it from the factory though, because it wont compromise their warranty. When I bought my Fusion I could not wait till my warranty was up so that I could customize my car.

Edited by Furious1Auto

See - you cannot fathom that someone would not want this technology and that's why you should leave the marketing to the marketing experts.

Let me see if I can wrap up your argument in a nutshell:

You want Ford to make push button start standard on every vehicle so some rapper can say "my Ford's got push button start" which will give Ford street cred and cause more fans of that music to buy Fords because they have push button start.

And you think they can only do that if ALL Fords came with push button start and they can't do that if it's an option on all vehicles.

Wow. That's all I can say. Wow. That's why engineers don't make good marketers and vice versa.

Edited by akirby

No, I am suggesting that we do market research to find out if the demand for Push button start is enough to justify the initial cost, and that we do cost analysis to see if we can get get the systems cheaper then the mechanical ignitions that we currently use. Is there a residual cost advantage, and if not is the gain in demand enough to justify the investment? For Ford it could be a win/win. Until we have data to back up our argument, then neither of us is right or wrong. Even though you and I can insist all day long that the other one in clueless :~)

And your source? Ar you Mark Fields? "End discussion"? Your not even a moderator with the power to remove the thread. What do you mean end discussion? Your not going to post on this thread anymore? Nick either? The thread still will remain for others to post, and vote on :~)

"You don't agree with me, so I ain't talking anymore" :P Six pages later. LMAO

Edited by Furious1Auto

• 3 months later...

At the very least, it's availability should be expanded on most models. Take the Explorer. It seems silly that it is not even an option on the XLT. It should be part of the My Ford Touch package, in my opinion. Dodge offers this option on all but the base Durango. For me, it is really the reason I have not bought one. I do not want to spend the money on a Limited just to get this option. While it is less of an issue for me, similar deal on the Fusion. To only offer it on the Titanium seems silly. Look at the competition. Ford acts like this is some new, exclusive option. They need to catch up.

• 3 weeks later...
Yeah, boomers that don't know how to use electronic devices. There is nothing to understand, its automatic. Your right about the hardware, and initially it would cost more. But once the software is paid for then it can be duplicated for free, once the supply chains are in place the price will drop. Ford would have vendors competing for the contracts to build the hardware, and likely outsource the work to countries that build electronic components very cheaply. In the long run it would probably be cheaper I bet, and less hassle handling, and tracking key cuts by VIN.

Lol, reminds me of a funny scene from Cloud Atlas.

"What is this thing? This isn't a key!"

"Well what else could it be??"

"Hey, what does that button do!"

tumblr_mcntxgrOCt1qdiy6a.jpg

It should definitely be an option you can get on basic trims. Many Toyota hybrid owners (including myself) are looking into the new ford offerings. The first turnoff is the lack of pushbutton start on the more basic trims. it's something that came in my 2007 Camry. It's now 2013.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

In general, I think push button start is fine. My big issue with remote start features. I have had remote start since my 92 grand marquis. Two way paging for probably 10 years now. Ford does make their own remote start, but only 1 way on the Focus as I understand it. And the features on the two way are lacking too. I'm partial to the Viper Remote systems.

Either Ford needs to start making an equivalent. Or my preferred choice would be that they allow third party's to interface into the system. Viper has a remote start feature where you pay for a $10 cell phone service that connects your car remote start/security system to the Internet. You can then remote control the car from your phone.

Ford is a good 10 years behind on the remote start options. If they can't do it, then go back to a chipped key that will work with third party remote start.