Worth reading

Hey don't worry guys, the Ford bashers will read it and promptly ignore it. lol

good one sixcav ...

Although I leaned a lot from it even about my own defenses of Ford .... Recently I and another member at GM Insidenews got people to realize, that Ford's financial and Product situation, and the media "analysis" is not myuch different from how GM was painted last year..

Igor

Edited by igor

The article reminds me of the book The reckoning by David halberstam which compared Ford and Nissan through the '70s and early'80s. When the book was started Ford was nearly bankrupt and Nissan was doing great. By the time it was released the fortunes of both companies had reversed. Ford was at its heightwith the Taurus and Explorer successes and Nissan had lost its way and was in the dumps. Like the airline business, the auto industry is sometimes about lucky breaks over which no one has any control. High gas prices due to war and the rise of China and India are killing the SUV. 5 years ago the Asian financial crisis had gas at around $1 per gallon. SUVs were a great bet back then and the Navigator was Ford's profit star.

Ford took a huge risk with the original Taurus and it paid off big. Like boeing, that risk would not have been taken if Ford had been doing well in the late '70s and early '80s. Of course Henry Ford II told Hal Sperlich that the minivan was a bad idea. Sperlich went to Chrysler, they took the risk and the minivan was a hit.