2013 Escape 1.6 eco boost information

gafry

My wife has the 2.0 Titanium FWD. In heavy city driving with no highway, she gets 18.5-18.7 MPG. Dislikes are the constant beeping of the rear sensors (parking sensors) that beep like crazy whenever the vehicle is stopped, or near stopped. Sometimes the beep, sometimes they don't. These should only beep when in reverse and they detect an object, not while driving. The stereo gets muted whenever the sensors go off making driving very annoying until you turn the sensors off. The headliner at the rear of the sunroof opening sags about 1/2" and doesn't look right. The A pillar trim should be black, as the light color reflects on the windshield and is very distracting! And the vanity mirrors are extremely cheap looking. They look like they came off the 50 cent rack at the dollar store. Park assist while not really needed, was tested by each of us, and it works very well. Overall, we're very happy with it. We love the torque of the 2.0, and the sport cloth/leather seats. They are about as perfect as seats can be......

Edited by LSchicago

Dislikes are the constant beeping of the rear sensors (parking sensors) that beep like crazy whenever the vehicle is stopped, or near stopped. Sometimes the beep, sometimes they don't. These should only beep when in reverse and they detect an object, not while driving. The stereo gets muted whenever the sensors go off making driving very annoying until you turn the sensors off.

The rear sensors are only active when the transmission is in R (Reverse).

The front sensors are active when the gearshift is in any position other than P (Park) or N (Neutral) and the vehicle speed is below 6 mph.

The system sounds an audible warning when obstacles are near either bumper in the following manner:

• Objects detected by the front sensors are indicated by a high-pitched tone from the front radio speakers.

• Objects detected by the rear sensors are indicated by a lower pitched tone from the rear radio speakers.

• The sensing system reports the obstacle which is closest to the front or rear of the vehicle. For example, if

an obstacle is 24 inches (60 centimeters) from the front of the vehicle and, at the same time, an obstacle is only 16 inches (40

centimeters) from the rear of the vehicle, the lower pitched tone sounds.

• An alternating warning sounds from the front and rear if there are objects at both bumpers that are closer than

10 inches (25 centimeters).

• Like 1

The rear sensors are only active when the transmission is in R (Reverse).

The front sensors are active when the gearshift is in any position other than P (Park) or N (Neutral) and the vehicle speed is below 6 mph.

The system sounds an audible warning when obstacles are near either bumper in the following manner:

• Objects detected by the front sensors are indicated by a high-pitched tone from the front radio speakers.

• Objects detected by the rear sensors are indicated by a lower pitched tone from the rear radio speakers.

• The sensing system reports the obstacle which is closest to the front or rear of the vehicle. For example, if

an obstacle is 24 inches (60 centimeters) from the front of the vehicle and, at the same time, an obstacle is only 16 inches (40

centimeters) from the rear of the vehicle, the lower pitched tone sounds.

• An alternating warning sounds from the front and rear if there are objects at both bumpers that are closer than

10 inches (25 centimeters).

I believe this is the way it should work, but her rear sensors do beep when traffic approches from the rear while stopped at a light in drive. (even when nothing is in front of us) We both experience this on a daily basis. I guess a trip to the dealer is in order. Sometimes it does it other times it doesn't. When it starts, the only way to get it to stop is to turn off the parking sensor switch. IT SHOULD NOT do this while in drive, and a car pulls up behind, but it does.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

With colder weather my Escape SE 1.6 Eco is 29.1 MPG at 65 MPH not bad. I have had no problems with the vehicle and my wife and I like it very much. Our Dealer Keller Bros in Penn. had there Tech man visit our home last evening to

go over all the Sync options and the other options of the vehicle. He was very good spending over one and a half hours going over everything. We like the ride , engine preformance and gas mileage Good job Ford.

I'm glad to hear you guys getting great mileage but mine has been less than diserable. After 1200 miles, I'm getting no more than 25.7 mpg highway (1.6L ecoboost). In fact my overall mpg is 22.4 (Car computer has it at 23.1). I'm hoping it is still running rich from the factory but am not seeing any changes.

I did recently install a Yakima roof rack w/ fairing and had my mileage increase 0.5 mpg.

This is very frustrating since I have always exceeded stated mpg claims previous vehicles. If I would have known that this was going to be my mileage...I would have bought the Edge with the Ecoboost (more room and better mpg then I'm getting now).

I'm glad to hear you guys getting great mileage but mine has been less than diserable. After 1200 miles, I'm getting no more than 25.7 mpg highway (1.6L ecoboost). In fact my overall mpg is 22.4 (Car computer has it at 23.1). I'm hoping it is still running rich from the factory but am not seeing any changes.

I did recently install a Yakima roof rack w/ fairing and had my mileage increase 0.5 mpg.

This is very frustrating since I have always exceeded stated mpg claims previous vehicles. If I would have known that this was going to be my mileage...I would have bought the Edge with the Ecoboost (more room and better mpg then I'm getting now).

Do you live in an area that is flat or has mountains? I set my cruise at 63-65 MPH for 40 miles on the Turnpike. The engine has about 2000 rpm at 65 MPH in 6th gear. I noticed the gasmileage slipping in the cooler weather.

Do you live in an area that is flat or has mountains? I set my cruise at 63-65 MPH for 40 miles on the Turnpike. The engine has about 2000 rpm at 65 MPH in 6th gear. I noticed the gasmileage slipping in the cooler weather.

No major hills and the temperature has been in the mid 70's since purchase. My one way daily commute consists of 5 miles of city then 18 miles of highway. As of today, the odometer reads 2100 mile and my calculated MPG is 23.7. This number is hard calculated since the trip computer mpg varies drastically.

It would be one thing if I drove with a heavy foot, but I'm babying the engine and keeping the rpms under 3000. This past week, I made a highway trip of 150 miles and got 25.2 mpg driving 65 mph.

My dealer has not been helpful and has given me the cold shoulder in regards to the issue.

Edited by CEE411

No major hills and the temperature has been in the mid 70's since purchase. My one way daily commute consists of 5 miles of city then 18 miles of highway. As of today, the odometer reads 2100 mile and my calculated MPG is 23.7. This number is hard calculated since the trip computer mpg varies drastically.

It would be one thing if I drove with a heavy foot, but I'm babying the engine and keeping the rpms under 3000. This past week, I made a highway trip of 150 miles and got 25.2 mpg driving 65 mph.

My dealer has not been helpful and has given me the cold shoulder in regards to the issue.

At 65 mph you should be just over 2000 rpm. I get around 28-29 in the cooler weather and 29-30 in summer weather. On the rolling hill turnpike of Penn. I use regular gas 10% ethanol.

• 2 weeks later...

My rpms are right at 2000 and I cannot get over 25 mpg on highway only driving. My last three tanks of gas are 22.5, 22.6 and 22.4 mpg (Again mostly highway driving).

My dealer has basicially told me to pound sand. I guess my only option now is to go rent a 2013 with a 1.6L ecoboost and drive it for a week. If I get the same mileage then it's my fault.

• 2 weeks later...

I thought I posted this the other day, but it did not show up here. We just spent two weeks in Ohio visiting my sister who has a new Escape 1.6 AWD. Reseting the Trip 2 MPG gauge at the start of a 250 mile road trip, the best it could muster was 25.2 mpg on 89 octane fuel, three passengers, no AC, turnpike/Interstate/city driving. Trip 1 mileage is a 3,500 mile cumulative calculation and is steady at 23.2. Although the vehicle has the same power, and is much quieter than her former Escape 3.0 AWD, it gets only slightly better mileage than our MKX FWD 3.7 which, in the desert uses the AC almost year-round. I was impressed by the power from such a small engine but not the mileage...and we drove it very conservatively.

I get about 23 mpg with my Titanium. But then again, I drive it like I stole it. I'm not gonna drive it like there's an "egg" under the gas pedal. Heck with that,! This is my first "fun" vehicle (hp) and I'm going to take advantage of it. Those Prius sure look good in my rear view mirror

• 2 weeks later...

I have almost 5000 miles on my 1.6 L ecoboost with no problems. I am planning on waiting till 6000 miles before taking it in for service and recall work. The recall problem only is probably a small percentage of the engines but in the

the chicken little American world filled with Lawyers Ford must act fast.

None of my business what you do but i would stop driving it now. Ford does not do recalls unless

it is real serious. If you don't take it in and it does catch on fire who is going to take responsibility

for damages. I work for a dealer and we contacted all owners per Fords request.

The problem is overheating and if you watch your guages you can tell if the coolant bypass valve has not opened and shutdown the engine before damage. But most people now have no common scence and don't pay attention

to driving or their warning guages in their vehicles.

• Like 1