AutoWipers - Remote start after snowstorm??

PajamaGuy

Question #1: If you remote start the Escape, and it's raining - do the AutoWipers come on?

Question #2: If the answer to question #1 is "Yes", what happens if the rain has frozen, and there's 2 feet of snow on the vehicle?

:stats:

(So what else do I have to do while I wait fo mine to be built & delivered?)

PJ and I could be brothers.

You will just have to remember to NOT press the start button after you open the door to get your snow brush and before you brush off the car. I vote for just putting the wiper lever into "off" when you leave the car. Automatic wipers is just another stupid innovation in my opinion. Who is so brain-dead or lazy that they can't turn on the wipers when they can no longer see through the rain on the windshield? I am hoping there is a way for me to inactivate this feature by pulling a fuse or unplugging the sensor from the wiring harness.

Maybe these wipers are also smart enough to realize they are frozen down (meeting undo resistance) and will fail to destroy themselves.

PJ and I could be brothers.

You will just have to remember to NOT press the start button after you open the door to get your snow brush and before you brush off the car. I vote for just putting the wiper lever into "off" when you leave the car. Automatic wipers is just another stupid innovation in my opinion. Who is so brain-dead or lazy that they can't turn on the wipers when they can no longer see through the rain on the windshield? I am hoping there is a way for me to inactivate this feature by pulling a fuse or unplugging the sensor from the wiring harness.

Maybe these wipers are also smart enough to realize they are frozen down (meeting undo resistance) and will fail to destroy themselves.

After having auto wipers for a couple years now, I'd have to say I absolutely LOVE them. It's not that I can't remember to turn them on or off, it's that they adjust themselves automatically for the amount of rain, especially when there is a light mist where even the lowest setting on standard wipers is too fast. I just wish the REAR wiper was automatic too! The only thing that is a little weird about them is if you forget to turn them off when the rain stops, every now and then they'll do a wipe even if it's completely dry out. Weird.

Well, there are 5 settings on the wiper stalk for the front wipers. Mist single swipe, OFF, Rain Sensing Auto, Low, and High. Just leave them off when you don't need them and turn them to auto when you'd normally do intermittent. It senses how much rain and adjusts the speed of the wiper. When it's done raining or whatever, turn it back to off. It's not like it's always auto and you have no control or override...

I've read that some folks are claiming if the wipers are left in the rain sensing position, when the car is started and the windshield is dry, the wipers cycle once, that's not the case on my car. I left the stalk in the rain sensing position after returning from a road trip. I have washed and dried the car and started it multiple times and the wipers have not cycled once. I didn't realize I had left the system on from the last time I was driving in the rain on Monday until today when I pulled out of the garage and it was drizzling.

I've read that some folks are claiming if the wipers are left in the rain sensing position, when the car is started and the windshield is dry, the wipers cycle once, that's not the case on my car. I left the stalk in the rain sensing position after returning from a road trip. I have washed and dried the car and started it multiple times and the wipers have not cycled once. I didn't realize I had left the system on from the last time I was driving in the rain on Monday until today when I pulled out of the garage and it was drizzling.

That was definately the case on my 2012 Focus, you couldn't leave them on because they would dry wipe at every startup.

My Escape works like you described, you can leave them in auto and they wont wipe until the next time there is moisture on the window. And they have constant delay intervals, unlike the Focus!

Where is this sensor located?

I believe it is embedded in the glass right near the rearview mirror, at least on my Edge.

The dry swipes on mine seem to be pretty sporadic. Won't happen on every start, and as mentioned, other times it'll just swipe once completely randomly while driving. I'd say I probably have them in the on position 50-60% of the time and it has never really been a concern.