Whistling sound???

delgreco13

Hi guys I'm new to the forum here. Let me first start by I love this car and it has everything I could ever want love the looks handling and all the cool tech stuff. I do have the 2.0 Ecoboost titanium 4wd model and ever since I bought it driving on the highway I have been hearing a very annoying whistling sound whenever I would drive 50mph and higher? Is this a known issue and I'm sure it is not the turbo because I am not even stepping on the gas at that point. I was thinking it might be the racks on the roof but I have not tried taking them off yet. Any input is greatly appreciated thanks again and enjoy your new cars and day everyone!!!

I noticed on my recent 1,000 mile trip in certain winds, the crease between the front and rear doors (center pillar) has alot of wind noise and some whistle. I plan on closing up that gap temporarly with tape and confirm if that's where it's coming from. It may be something with the design of the doors.

I had a rental Taurus (the really ugly one with the oval styling theme) on a long road trip. Certain crosswinds made it howl like a banshee. But it was nothing a half roll of duct tape applied to the cowl area didn't cure. It actually improved the styling.

thanks for the replies.... for some reason I am thinking it might be the roof racks since they came with it. I might trying removing the 2 racks to see if that will lessen the whistling wind howling noise, you cant miss it turn your radio down drive on the highway and its pretty loud. I dont know if this is normal wind noise to be hearing but the cars i've driven in the past i never noticed it until i got the Escape....

• 3 weeks later...

I have the whistling sound when driving above 50 mph. It sound like it is coming from the front drivers side door, although I have not ridden in the passenger seat yet. Depending on the wind direction it comes and goes, but sometimes is very loud. At times I can hear the whistle above the radio and climate system; it's starting to drive me crazy. I am hesitant to take it in to the dealer because I do not know how you can pinpoint where the sound is coming from. I checked the weatherstripping and it all looks good.

The sound is most certainly not coming from the engine bay/intake.

• Like 1

I've had whistling noises in the past on previous Fords caused by air getting through the driver side front door seal. Only occurred at freeway speeds and usually hot days. If I grabbed a part on the door trim when it occurred and pulled the door inwards closer to the frame it would go away. Assuming it's a similar issue may need to have the door seal replaced.

I have the whistling sound when driving above 50 mph. It sound like it is coming from the front drivers side door, although I have not ridden in the passenger seat yet. Depending on the wind direction it comes and goes, but sometimes is very loud. At times I can hear the whistle above the radio and climate system; it's starting to drive me crazy. I am hesitant to take it in to the dealer because I do not know how you can pinpoint where the sound is coming from. I checked the weatherstripping and it all looks good.

The sound is most certainly not coming from the engine bay/intake.

This is exactly what I am hearing it does not sound normal. So of course i took it into the the dealer for my first quick 1st months maintenance, did my first oil changed so i asked about the loud whistling sound driving over 50mph on the highway. Like an idiot i gave them an answer to use against me... i said maybe its the turbo winding up... but guess what im just gliding not even stepping on the gas and i still hear this. So they give the car back to me and say yea that noise is normal nothing going on here its just your turbo making noise. I call BS this cant be i never have driven a car in all my years from pontiacs to acuras, bmw, hondas have a heard a whistling noise like this before...??

By the way i have the 2.0 Titanium if that wasnt mentioned already.

Thanks again!!

The whistling sound is definitely not the turbo. As the wind speed increases, vehicle howling increases, and the whistling sound gets louder. Also, with the cruise set the whistling sound comes and goes depending on the wind. I am going to have the dealer look at it in a couple weeks. I will let you know what happens.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The whistling sound is definitely not the turbo. As the wind speed increases, vehicle howling increases, and the whistling sound gets louder. Also, with the cruise set the whistling sound comes and goes depending on the wind. I am going to have the dealer look at it in a couple weeks. I will let you know what happens.

So i finally solved the problem it was the cross bars on the roof right above the sliding panorama glass the whole entire time. Ever since i removed the bar everything is back to normal no excessive wind speed noises now... I suggest you remove those bars it may be the issue like mine was!! It is so pleasing to hear quietness on the highway going 60pmph now =)

my alternate solution was to blast the radio but then you cant hear the turbo kicking in when you want to gun it LOL !!!

• Like 1

So i finally solved the problem it was the cross bars on the roof right above the sliding panorama glass the whole entire time. Ever since i removed the bar everything is back to normal no excessive wind speed noises now... I suggest you remove those bars it may be the issue like mine was!! It is so pleasing to hear quietness on the highway going 60pmph now =)

my alternate solution was to blast the radio but then you cant hear the turbo kicking in when you want to gun it LOL !!!

I will have to try that, thanks.

I will have to try that, thanks.

I removed the cross bars and still have the whistling sound. It still sounds like it is coming from the front driver side door. All the weatherstripping looks intact. I have to pick up some tape and slowly start taping up the door gaps until I find the area. I asked the dealer about it and he said he didn't hear anything, but "it was windy out." He probably had the radio on.