2013 Fusion Stop ship...why?

If you did some fact checking instead of running your mouth, you'd see that the combined MPG of the 1.6L is 2 MPG higher then the 2.5L...and you can get 37 MPG highway if you get the additional stop/start option on the 1.6L.

As for the difference in price...the payoff for the 1.6L is 2-3 years using the standard EPA MPG calucations...so you'll be actually saving $$$ after that vs the 2.5L

The 1.6L EB is .5 of second faster 0-60 then the 2.5L

http://autos.aol.com...Sedan/overview/

How does the 1.6L have to be worked hard? Funny thing is that the 1.6L in the Escape has been praised for its performance, yet it weighs nearly 1000 more then a Fusion...so how is performance an issue?

The Fusion weighs in at about 3600 pounds. I doubt that the Escape weighs 4,600 pounds. I doubt if the Explorer weighs more than 4,400 pounds, and the EB 2.0 has hard time in Explorer. Again, the reviewers recommend the 2.0 over the 1.6 in that using their cycle pushing the 1.6 to stay up with fast traffic, the 2.0 and 1.6 get about same fuel mileage with the 2.0 offering much more useable power.

Took a closer look at a few of them when I was out at Koons Ford Annapolis getting the oil changed on my Edge. They were parked next to a row of 2012's, and wow, the 2012's almost looked invisible by comparison.

The new Fusion has a lot of road presence. Very distinctive, and that should spell very good sales. Still waiting to see first 2013 Fusion on Metro Detroit streets without Manuf. plates, and Fusion is by far number one selling vehicle around here.

That is debatable. Please post 0-60 times of 2.5 and I believe for the 1.6 is 8.3 which is very mediocre.

Please correct me if I'm wrong FordBuyer - the 8.3s figure was Motor Trend's result of testing a 2013 Fusion 1.6L Ecoboost with the six-speed manual transmission. The closest comparable number I could find for the 2.5L engine is Motor Trend's 0-60 mph time of a 2010 Fusion 2.5L 6MT, which was 8.1s.

Since manual transmission isn't available with the 2.5L engine in the 2013 Fusion, we can only speculate what the theoretical 0-60 numbers would be on a 2013 Fusion 2.5L 6MT would be, if that combination were to exist. I don't know if any professional automotive reviewers have conducted acceleration tests on the 2013 Fusion 2.5L 6AT as of yet.

Again, the reviewers recommend the 2.0 over the 1.6 in that using their cycle pushing the 1.6 to stay up with fast traffic, the 2.0 and 1.6 get about same fuel mileage with the 2.0 offering much more useable power.

No they don't...what part of this don't you get? The 2L EB in EPA testing, not reviewers with lead feet, gives up at least 2 MPG City and Highway to the 1.6L EB. You can cherry pick all you want, I'll leave you with this cherry picked review:

Swapping the 2.0L for the less powerful 1.6L 2013 Ford Fusion with MT, we were surprised to discover this powertrain made a delightful combination, livelier and with a lighter mass up front -- more balanced, too. Our stint behind the wheel involved trying to outrun the "shuttle pandemonium" on the Pacific Coast Highway in order to make our flights home -- and the 2013 Ford Fusion proved very nimble indeed through the erratic traffic. And the 1.6L also delivers the best fuel economy (other than the hybrid) with 8.0L/100 km city and 5.3 hwy.

Edstock converted this into 29.4 mpg US / 44.38 mpg US (53.3 mpg Imperial)

http://www.blueovalforums.com/forums/index.php?/topic/50910-first-test-2013-fusion/page__st__40&do=findComment&comment=800213

Since manual transmission isn't available with the 2.5L engine in the 2013 Fusion, we can only speculate what the theoretical 0-60 numbers would be on a 2013 Fusion 2.5L 6MT would be, if that combination were to exist. I don't know if any professional automotive reviewers have conducted acceleration tests on the 2013 Fusion 2.5L 6AT as of yet.

I got an 8.8 figure from AOL Autos

http://autos.aol.com/cars-Ford-Fusion-2013/overview/

If anything, I'd expect the 2.5L to be a rare bird on the lots....

• Like 1

Again, the reviewers recommend the 2.0 over the 1.6 in that using their cycle pushing the 1.6 to stay up with fast traffic,

Not sure if you've noticed, but reviewers almost always "recommend" the more powerful engine, whether it is necessary or not. Hell, the 1.6 EB's power levels would have been downright delightful as an optional engine in most midsize sedans just 5-6 years ago.

I got an 8.8 figure from AOL Autos

http://autos.aol.com...-2013/overview/

If anything, I'd expect the 2.5L to be a rare bird on the lots....

Like I said before, Bill Brown Ford has about 30 new Fusions on lot, all SE's and all but about 3 2.5's. And yes, in previous generation Fusion that was high percentage SE's with 2.5 I4, 0-60 time were in very low 8 range. Like 8.1 or so with 6sp. auto. So I see no reason why 2013 would be slower. I would like to see more consenus on 2.5 I4 times before agreeing that the 2.5 is all of a sudden almost 1 second slower to 60 than previous generation Fusion. The 2.5 VCT is very tried and proven, and the 1.6 has been suffering through recalls, and if you have to constantly call on turbo boost to stay with traffic, I will take the 2 tried and true 2.5. If I want superior fuel mileage, I would go to hybrid Fusion, not the 1.6EB. And I want better performance, I would go to 2.0 EB. That is my take anyway and I will stay with it until I see more.

Like I said before, Bill Brown Ford has about 30 new Fusions on lot, all SE's and all but about 3 2.5's.

Once again your taking whats happening in Metro Detroit as for whats happening in the rest of the country...in my neck of the woods I haven't seen a single Fusion WITHOUT an Ecoboost Engine.

Once again your taking whats happening in Metro Detroit as for whats happening in the rest of the country...in my neck of the woods I haven't seen a single Fusion WITHOUT an Ecoboost Engine.

So tell us the percentage of Fusion SE I4's sold in previous generation nationwide? I would estimate at least 75% and pretty sure I4 was good for 8.1 0-60 times and 33mpg highway. For 2013, I believe Ford added VCT to the 2.5 and is standard engine on SE with one mpg improvement highway. Again, I doubt if it lose almost 1 second in 0-60 time. 1.6 has gotten off to rocky start in Escape, and again I would pick 2.5 over 1.6 no matter how much you rationalize that 1.6 is so great. For top notch NON MARGINAL fuel mileage improvement, Fusion hybrid with more hp than 1.6 is the top choice by far even considering $4,000 increase.

the 1.6 EB's power levels would have been downright delightful as an optional engine in most midsize sedans just 5-6 years ago.

"Downright delightful" describes the standard 2.5L 4-cylinder engine in my 2010 Fusion perfectly. It is reliable, smooth, responsive, and fuel efficient, with power and torque levels well suited to the car. So it's no surprise that Ford made it the standard, high volume powertrain in the new Fusion.

1.6 has gotten off to rocky start in Escape

2 different vehicles! WTF

again I would pick 2.5 over 1.6 no matter how much you rationalize that 1.6 is so great. For top notch NON MARGINAL fuel mileage improvement, Fusion hybrid with more hp than 1.6 is the top choice by far even considering $4,000 increase.

So your going to spend $4K extra on a car that only saves you $800 a year in gas (and a 5 year payout vs 2-3 years for the 1.6L EB) over the 1.6 EB? What the hell are you smoking?

What a shock? Like we said, the VCT 2.5 is very reliable and tried engine with almost as good fuel mileage and pretty much equal performance.

Would love to see the comparsion specs between the 2.5l and 1.6L EB for

30 - 50mph

50 - 70mph

etc, etc, as for me this is were the performance factors matter to my driving.

My brother in Canada has the 2.5L 6 speed manual Fusion and I really enjoy driving his car, it is a very good powertrain combo.

But......what the 2.5L does not have is that wonderful low down rpm thru the range torque factor of the EB engines.

Even the wee 1.0L EB I am sure would surprise many in USA the pull it has thru the rpm range.

Would love to see the comparsion specs between the 2.5l and 1.6L EB for

30 - 50mph

50 - 70mph

etc, etc, as for me this is were the performance factors matter to my driving.

My brother in Canada has the 2.5L 6 speed manual Fusion and I really enjoy driving his car, it is a very good powertrain combo.

But......what the 2.5L does not have is that wonderful low down rpm thru the range torque factor of the EB engines.

Even the wee 1.0L EB I am sure would surprise many in USA the pull it has thru the rpm range.

Well, they are certainly waxing euphoric about the HUGE 2 more mpg you get out of the EB 1.6 for $700 more dollars, and ignoring the trips and time spent dealing with recalls on the 1.6. Not sure how the standard 2.5 I4, and now with VCT and better fuel mileage became this doggy engine all of a sudden. The standard VCT 2.0 VCT seems to work well for the Focus. I don't see any difference on the Fusion. If you want the little EB, fine, but standard 2.5 VCT looks like a winner.

On Friday I visited three Dallas/Fort Worth area dealers. Dealer #1 had 2 SE's on the ground, Dealer #2 had 1 SE, and Dealer #3 had 2 SE's, 1 Titanium, and.... 20+ no-option S's. I first thought "fleet order" but the cars were in the main sales area, not hidden out back.

The stripper S model looks a little plain with the plastic wheel covers (not a surprise), but the Ruby Red Titanium with the smoky gray H-spoke 19 inch wheels is quite the looker.

Why what dealer has what models is always interesting to me.

• 2 weeks later...

The stop start feature isn't even available to order yet. There must be another reason.

So is this the third new vehicle launch in row that has gotten off to a rocky start? The 1.6L EB seems to have turned into a problem child for Ford with Escape recalls and now this. With almost all new Fusions being 2.5L I4's, I would say it's the 1.6 that is holding up the parade. Blackwell Ford has about 10 Fusions, 2 Titaniums and rest SE's with 2.5. Bill Brown more like 200 new Fusions sitting on lots and almost all SE's with 2.5. Bill Brown is running special lease deal on 2.5 to get them moving. Still have only seen one on the road. Notice very few are in new car prep....mostly Focus, Escape, and Explorer moving off of lot. Ford had so many great launches in a row, and now can't seem to get one right lately. The build quality looks good on the new Fusions I have checked out, but as with the Escape, looks like the 1.6 is a problem.