Escape 2013 Problems!

mbressman

I was one of those people eagerly awaiting the arrival of the 2013 Escape - I followed the progress online, and as soon as it was available, I test drove it and took the plunge to lease a fully-loaded Titanium model (back in June of this year). I was probably one of the first people to get the vehicle, and even drove all the way out to Long Island twice (from New Jersey) to a dealership that had the exact model I wanted to get. Overall, I really wanted this vehicle - and now, 4 months later, I'm pretty unhappy with it unfortunately!

There seem to be a lot of small things that just shouldn't occur, and then there's the big things that shouldn't occur either. For instance, some of the small things that bother me are:

- piece of insulation/siding on the rear driver's side window simply fell off one day

- the outside handle for opening the driver's side door is supposed to sense the key on your person and unlock the car, but this has steadily gotten worse since my purchase where I now have to pull the handle 8 or 9 times before it finally unlocks the car

- the black button on the outside handle is supposed to lock the car doors when it senses the key on your person, but a lot of times I have to press this multiple times to get it to actually lock the car doors

Obviously some of those things above, and other small things I should easily be able to look past, and I understand this is a radically new design and there are bound to be some small issues (although you'd think Ford would have done some major testing before releasing it to the public also). However, there are definitely some much larger problems that I'm having with the vehicle that I just can't look past:

- the other day while driving down the street going about 40 to 45 MPH, my hazards flashed once and I heard my car doors unlock (at the same time, the light that's illuminated when the car doors are locked went off) - which seemed to indicate to me that now all my doors were unlocked. I immediately locked them again, and about 45 seconds later the exact same thing happened. Obviously, this is a major safety issue, as your car doors should not randomly unlock while you are driving at high speeds!

- Several recalls on the vehicle - for mine I believe the only one applicable so far has been the pedal recall, but still - there shouldn't be so many recalls so soon after a new car comes out - seems to indicate some issues with the development and testing of this vehicle

- One of the major issues that I'm experiencing is with the MyFord Touch system, which is also incredibly frustrating since this was a major selling point to me in getting the vehicle. All sorts of strange things happen with the MyFord Touch system, including:

+ having it freeze randomly and sporadically

+ having the navigation not work at times at all -> the other day I drove about an hour back from a client not knowing where I was going and needing the navigation, and for the entire trip it did not work at all

+ having major issues with the Bluetooth -> problems hearing the other person or having them hear me, weird issues when dialing or answering calls, having it disconnect the Bluetooth connection randomly or at times not pair with the car when I get in and start it up, etc.

+ having the radio at times not display the radio station it's tuned to (either on the buttons or in bigger characters on the display) so that I have no idea what station I'm listening to and no idea how to change stations

+ the only thing I haven't had an issue with yet is the climate portion of the MyFord Touch...

I'm becoming increasingly frustrated with this vehicle, as I expected a lot out of it and so far it's let me down pretty hard. One other thing to note, although this is something I should have been aware of when I test drove it, but the car does seem slightly underpowered.

I don't know how to proceed at this point - I've brought it in for service and they haven't fixed many of the above problems, telling me they can't locate or find them, so it seems my only choice is to be stuck dealing with them when they occur. I've reached out to Ford's corporate office and am waiting for them to get back to me, but it just seems that with so many problems occurring so soon after getting this vehicle, I shouldn't be stuck dealing with them in my lease for the next 2 1/2 years.

Anyone else experiencing any of the above problems, or anything else? Anyone have any advice for me? Thanks!

Marc

- the other day while driving down the street going about 40 to 45 MPH, my hazards flashed once and I heard my car doors unlock (at the same time, the light that's illuminated when the car doors are locked went off) - which seemed to indicate to me that now all my doors were unlocked. I immediately locked them again, and about 45 seconds later the exact same thing happened. Obviously, this is a major safety issue, as your car doors should not randomly unlock while you are driving at high speeds!

Could this possibly be from the "unlock button" on your key fob being accidentally pressed while it is in your pocket while driving? Possibly by something else in your pocket at the same time? Just a thought...

same here, bluetooth works when it feels like. Has a mind of it's own.

I reset the system, and seems to correct the issue for a few days.

Last Friday, all of my AM/FM presets showed Sirus Channels in the icon area. Then the AM/FM when out entirely for a few hours. Once again, reset the system and went back to functioning how it should.

I have almost 5000 miles, so I will be going to dealer soon!

just recently on 2 occassions I tried to use my Navigation and a BIG RED X mark next to GPS comes up not showing where I am heading than after about 20min or so the GPS gets a signal again and goes back to normal.

Another annoyance i have is if you leave something in the 12V AC port and you shut the car off it will continue to give power ( I read the manual but there should have been some kind of power saving feature ) and if you leave your USB drive in the port that will continue to stay on as well.

Other than the annoying wind noise going 50mph on the hwy I love the car it is amazing all the gadgets features ride handling comfort and style!!!