When will a Fusion Wagon be released??

JimmyL57

....."looks as good as this" Key statement. Make something this attractive and I do believe it creates its own market.

I think I'd buy a Mondeo Wagon that looks as good as this, in Ruby Red.

2014-ford-fusion-wagon-and-mondeo-estate

Why would Ford or any mfr give a rats behind about the used car market? If anything the used car market takes sales away from new cars. And if nobody buys them new then they won't be available used.

Isn't a solid used market for your products a good marketing point for NEW vehicle sales? Seems like Honda , Toyota have always played that card.

Isn't a solid used market for your products a good marketing point for NEW vehicle sales? Seems like Honda , Toyota have always played that card.

The only effect it has is on resale value which helps Honda a lot. But by itself the used car market only helps dealers, not Ford. If you remember the panthers and rangers were big in the used market, but nobody was buying the new ones which resulted in huge discounts and no profit.

Why would Ford or any mfr give a rats behind about the used car market? If anything the used car market takes sales away from new cars. And if nobody buys them new then they won't be available used.

Ford CPO Certified Pre-Owned is why.

A robust CPO program keeps more vehicles in the dealer network," said John Felice, general manager, Ford and Lincoln sales. "It improves residual values, enhances dealer profitability, brings more customers to Ford and Lincoln dealerships, and may ultimately result in lower vehicle costs for our customers.

"Fifty percent of these customers are new to the Ford and Lincoln brands, and research shows a new CPO customer is twice as likely to come back and buy a new Ford Motor Company product in the future," Fites says.

But it still goes back to whether they should develop new cars because they will sell well on the used market. That's still not the case.

Once Ford has a successful new car, I agree that it's good to have a strong used market which helps with residuals. But when Ford develops a new car the focus is on selling new vehicles.

People buying used Panthers added nothing to Ford's bottom line.

If the new car is built well, it will make a good used car. No sense focusing on anything but the former, since it is entirely responsible for the latter. Vehicles like the Panthers and Ranger made popular used cars in spite of their initial build quality, not because of it.

Edited by NickF1011

I'm selectrive? Tell us all then how well the Accord, Camry, and Taurus wagons sold compared to their sedan counterparts. There's a very valid reason none of them exist anymore.

And I think Farley's "fight" for bringing the hatch Fiesta here is largely exaggerated. How many of the other B-cars on the market when the Fiesta was launched were hatchbacks? Pretty much uhh...all of them? Launching the Fiesta and Focus with hatch variants was following the market, not defying it. No brainer decision as far as I'm concerned.

Conquest rate from what exactly? Higher profit vehicles? Makes a lot of sense to do, huh? Ford would have much better luck trying to steal a Toyota Highlander buy with an Edge or Explorer than they would with a Fusion wagon.

So we can add "station wagon mafia" to Ranger mafia and Panther mafia?

Why not the 5 door then? It won't as some say "steal sales" from some other Blue Oval product.

Exactly why I may never give up my 08 mazda6, 5 door. I've had a 40 lb harbor freight sand blasting cabinet, in the box, in that back of that thing.

Edited by OX1

• 1 month later...

Its unfortunate Ford abandoned the wagon market ( much like the Aerostar & Windstar vans that gave Honda & Dodge more market segment) because I like the wagon more than driving a van. I had an Aerostar and it was a loyal workhorse for hauling family & kids around for sports. I am still driving my 2003 Focus wagon around daily with 203,000 miles on it and still running well. Hatchbacks & wagons are practical vehicles with usually better MPG than their van counter parts.

A diesel Focus or Focus wagon would be a great vehicle especially when gasoline prices creep to $4 or more.

Ford didn't abandon the wagon market in the U.S. - buyers did. I know you understand that but some people think that mfrs have to build whatever they want just because they and 2 of their buddies want to buy one.

CUVs and SUVs pretty much killed any hope of a high volume of wagons.

If customers show interest it will be a lot easier to bring the Fusion wagon here since it already exists in Europe and they have production capacity in FR.

Big difference in real world day to day usage between the hatch vs wagon.

Measurements tell the story, but only owners really know the differences.

Current Focus trunk comparo #s

Hatch seats folded down 39 cubic feet / 1,101 litres

Wagon seats folded down 53 cubic feet/ 1,502 litres

Hatch with seats up 11 cubic feet / 316

Wagon with seats up 17 cubic feet / 476 litres

The wagon cargo space offers 4 inches more between the wheel wells

Hatch

02-Ford-Focus-space-2-xlarge.jpg

Wagon

car_photo_456343.jpg?itok=i3HNGJfb

Edited by MKII

According to you, somebody and their 2 buddies :)

According to common sense. You can carry a lot of stuff in a hatchback already. How many people haul stuff regularly that will fit in a Focus wagon but won't fit in a hatchback?

Ford did sell the hatchback and wagon together a few years ago. Which one is still around? Most who want more cargo room than the Focus hatchback will step up to the Escape.

Note I'm not saying wagons are bad, just that the market is really small now.

I own an 2013 Escape and I had a 2013 Focus Wagon in Germany as a rental last summer. They're very similar vehicles. Cargo area may have been slightly longer in the Focus but felt about the same height (overall, the car rides lower). I do have to say I prefer the Focus Wagon though. I don't mind the lower seating position although I would have liked having My Ford Touch.

If Ford introduced a Focus Wagon in the US, I would trade in my Escape. If Ford offered a diesel Escape, I'd trade mine in. I averaged over 50 mpg US in the wagon with a 2.0L diesel and a powershift transmission over 800 km, with about an even split of autobahn at 130-150 kph (80-90 mph) and back roads at 80-90 kph (~60 mph) - not being careful about fuel. When I'm careful in my Escape, I get 35 mpg on 55 mph highways and about 27-28 mpg at 65-70 on the interstates. My Escape has never been above 78 mph. The diesel drove very much like the gas engine. Now a diesel Focus Wagon, that would be really sweet.

I think as gas prices go up, Americans are rediscovering the wagon. In particular, I see many young people choosing the most wagon like cars on the market. I would never go back to a sedan - it's too convenient being able to throw just about anything in the back!

Edited by bolt in blue
  • Like 1

Ah of course, common sense. :)

If you carry less than 39 cf either one will work just fine. If you carry more than 51 cf neither will work. It only matters to people who carry more than 39 cf and less than 51 (or size wise items that are a few inches longer or wider).

Considering most people who want more cargo space will just buy an Escape over the Focus hatchback I just don't see where the wagon would appeal to that many buyers over the hatchback.

It would essentially be a lower version of the Escape and in the U.S. most drivers prefer taller CUVs.

We're not talking about individual preferences - we're talking about what the market is buying right now.

How many people haul stuff regularly that will fit in a Focus wagon but won't fit in a hatchback?

Well I hauled around my daughter and other kids ( regularly ) in the wagon and lots of gear.

It was nice on those long drives home to fold the seats down and have a few kids be able to lay down,stretch out and sleep on the way home.

Granted the wagon design may not be the most popular and desirable vehicle but if made 1/2 way decent looking with good fuel economy its a perfect vehicle for many.

The Escape has almost the identical cargo size and physical opening dimensions as my old wagon.