2013 MKZ Hybrid Test Drive

First impressions of my test drive. The car was a per-production silver hybrid premium package model with the normal moon roof.

The 2 main things I noticed as dramatically different than my 2011 Hybrid MXZ were the seats and the steering. Both are in another league compared with the current model. The seats and cockpit feel more like a sports car than a sedan, but the seats are not hard like so many German cars tend to be. They are in fact very soft and comforting, yet supportive in all the right places. One of the best seats I have ever driven in. The car definitely wraps you in the cockpit. The Gear buttons were closer than I had imagined and easy to use. I fou7nd that starting and parking had me reaching for a non existent gear shift knob.

Most of the controls are now touch. The hybrid 10" display is all new although there are so many display options as to be a bit overwhelming. The controls for radio vol, temperature etc have been moved to a touch bar in the console. Cool, but I actually prefer a round knob. The trunk space is quite different. Good and bad. The good is that even the hybrid now has a fold down seat option. The bad is the trunk is nowhere as deep as the current model, although it is longer with the upper shelf. The auto trunk open close works much better now.

The driver door has a touch sensor to open the locks and the hidden combo is on the black pillar like on the MKT. The new touch nav system will take some getting used to but looks very capable. The high end radio sounded ok, but not blown away.

The hybrid engine seemed to me to growl a bit more than I am used to with my current Hybrid, which also sounded like it was going into gas mode more than I would have liked. The car that had come across the country for these demos had only mid/high 30's gas mileage, mostly due to likely aggressive test drives and maybe some to pre-production status. I only tried the "normal" ride setting, nut it was delightful to drive. Handling was superb and effortless. I found it very hard to give up the wheel and get back in to my 2011 MKZ Hybrid. felt like a truck in comparison.

The demo person told me that he had heard that the dealers will get some production run first (Late Dec) and then after the pre-orders would start to build. I am not at all happy with that since that puts current pre-orders well after New Years. I mean what is the purpose of pre-ordering then. You could just buy one off the dealer lot? I'd rather they kept the Wiskey gift and delivered my car or give me a rebate or something.

Anyway, the car looks great live although I did notice some very ill fitting trunk seams on the pre-production unit. Hopefully they will improve the quality control on launch. Driving the car gives you a very clear view of the road out the front which gives you more of angular towards the front impression than the current squarish one. Rear visibility seems a bit improved as well. The car seems from the outside to be wider especially from the rear and a bit taller than the current model.

One thing I did not like at all was the black rounded trunk lid where the cell phone antenna sat on. It looked out of place and plasticy. I didn't seem like it belonged at all. I've seen it on some pictures and not on others. I can't understand what they were going for there.I have to say I almost hate that thing and hope they reconsider it at the last minute. Also, side mirrors are noticeably smaller than the current model. But overall way more positive than negative.

I'll try to upload some pictures a bit later.

Edited by xgman

The demo person told me that he had heard that the dealers will get some production run firts (Late Dec) and then after the pre-orders would start to build. I am not at all happy with that since that puts current pre-orders well after New Years. I mean what is the purpose of pre-ordering then. You could just buy one off the dealer lot? I'd rather they kept the Wiskey gift and delivered my car or give me a rebate or something.

We've explained this before. All cars that are built before the OK to Buy order are held for inspection until the plant produces cars with no defects for 5 consecutive days. At that point the OK to buy is given and cars are shipped directly from the assembly line. All of the cars built before that have to be inspected and possibly repaired before being shipped. If your car was first off the line it might be the last one to be inspected and repaired and that could possibly take weeks. Holding the retail (presold) orders until OK to Buy insures a better quality car without the potential for a long delay. In the long run it's a much better process even though it means you could see dealer inventory arriving before yours is built.

That only applies to Job 1. Once the line is up and running all retail orders have priorities of 10-19 which puts them ahead of stock orders (20-99).

We've explained this before. All cars that are built before the OK to Buy order are held for inspection until the plant produces cars with no defects for 5 consecutive days. At that point the OK to buy is given and cars are shipped directly from the assembly line. All of the cars built before that have to be inspected and possibly repaired before being shipped. If your car was first off the line it might be the last one to be inspected and repaired and that could possibly take weeks. Holding the retail (presold) orders until OK to Buy insures a better quality car without the potential for a long delay. In the long run it's a much better process even though it means you could see dealer inventory arriving before yours is built.

That only applies to Job 1. Once the line is up and running all retail orders have priorities of 10-19 which puts them ahead of stock orders (20-99).

Hope you are right. The demo rep indicated it would be many weeks later and the opposite priority you mentioned which is what concerned me.

Edited by xgman

Hope you are right. The demo rep indicated it would be many weeks later and the opposite priority you mentioned which is what concerned me.

I guarantee what I posted is correct. It's been corroborated by many dealers and Ford employees over the years. Your rep was wrong.

batch and hold....

"The controls for radio vol, temperature etc have been moved to a touch bar in the console. Cool, but I actually prefer a round knob."

I am with you there! Another minor gripe, The speedometer has no imagination/style. Why not use a classy looking background instead of plain black (A layered and textured metal looking finish?) Not really sure, but, I would know it when I see it... :stirpot:

Unless for some reason the pre-production models are different, I find it interesting that the Fusion and MKZ use different wiper setups. The Fusion has the "minivan style" that the new Focus and Escape also have (both sweep up and out in opposite directions from the middle), whereas the red MKZ pictured above has a normal setup (both sweep toward the driver's side of the car/in the same direction).

Unless for some reason the pre-production models are different, I find it interesting that the Fusion and MKZ use different wiper setups. The Fusion has the "minivan style" that the new Focus and Escape also have (both sweep up and out in opposite directions from the middle), whereas the red MKZ pictured above has a normal setup (both sweep toward the driver's side of the car/in the same direction).

:headscratch:

Only stalk I can clearly see in any of those pictures appears to be coming from the right side of the column?

Tapping the turn signal stalk though blinked several times after letting go as opposed to the once in the current model.

That's the newer stalk design. I think it first appeared in the '11 Edge. If you tap it once it'll flash 3 times. You can also hold it partly in one direction for as long as you want to keep the flasher on. You push it all the way over and it'll hit past a notch and then rebound back to center for a full signal. Just tap it again in either direction to cancel. Took getting used to compared to traditional designs, but I really like it.