Backup Lights

RMS05

Does anyone else have issues with low light levels of their trucks backup lights/ I have a 2011 F150 Lariat and at 5:00 AM the lights don't light up my driveway and garage doors like my old '94 F150 does. I have thought about using some LED bulbs but don't want to spend the money if they are not a big improvement.

BTW I love the new F150 w/ the 5.0L. The truck is more comfortable than most cars I ride in. Just wish the backup lights were better and that I had got the navigation unit.

Edited by RMS05

Changing the reverse lamps themselves is a HUGE no no, as they are controlled solid state by the Smart Junction Box. Too much current and you'll burn out the driver, resulting in an SJB failure which will cost hundreds and wont be covered by your warranty as it is damage caused by an aftermerket component. Better to add additional lamps tied into the reverse lamps on the trailer tow wiring, which is a seperate system which is RELAY controlled, not SJB. Overcurrent there, and you might damage a $5 relay or blow an actual fuse.

• 3 weeks later...

I took a bit of a different approach.....while I do periodically tow (my 65 mustang on a tandem trailer), I wanted something a little stealthy that would work and look as if it was oem-.....while the flash on the camera reduces the actual effect, I mounted 2- 55 watt lights under the rear fenders, mounted in a manner to project out at a 45 degree angle down & away from the vehicle, activated by a relay to the OEM reverse light system. Total cost, $50 including relay, oem style relay wire harness connector, lights, oem style wiring sheath & wire.

http://www.f150online.com/forums/illumination-lighting/439140-share-your-exterior-lighting-modifications-13.html

• 3 weeks later...