1.6L EB recall

Yeah, I understood that part completely. I'm just putting it in context of my specific situation where I have asked my dealer and Ford to basically reorder my 1.6 (which is built) as a 2.0 with a higher priority than 10 to get something done soon. That's all.

We were trying to help you compute the answer to this statement:

how they could continue pushing them through without a known cause and fix doesn't compute with me

You need to talk with your dealerships zone manager. They are the only one that can schedule a priority below a 10.

Trust me, he's involved. Whether he acts or is able to is still yet to be determined.

Moral to this story - ALWAYS check your engine oil level BEFORE you leave the dealership. They didn't and there was not enough oil in it when it left the factory.

This just happened to one of my fleet F150s we took in a couple weeks ago for service. They didn't add enough oil. It was 2 quarts short. Luckily, my guy caught it before leaving the dealership because the tire was flat when they gave it to him so he decided to do a walk through and check everything else.

We were trying to help you compute the answer to this statement:

It computed with his original explanation.

I don't have any faith that this is the end of it. It sounds like this engine was rushed out without any testing.

and I dont think that has anything to do with it based on prior practices.....I have a gut feeling its something trivial perhaps from a supplier or in assembly, damn cars and drivetrains have become so complex to find the root can take time....if i had bought a 1.6 and I was in a loaner, YES, I would be frustrated, annoyed, pi$$ed off, but I would also have all the confidence in the world I would recieve my vehicle back worry free.....

I thought this particular engine was new this year?

New only for the U.S. market.

Applications

150 PS (110 kW; 148 hp)

160 PS (118 kW; 158 hp)

180 PS (132 kW; 178 hp)

I am absolutely positive that if this takes more than a couple of weeks that Ford will compensate affected owners some way some how.

It's already going on a week and no word of any fix. I remember my last recall was on my '99 Taurus SE that I had for a seat belt problem. Took it in, and dealer said I had to leave it, and it would be few days before parts arrived. Said they would give me a loaner. I'm turning in $22,000 Taurus and Ford gives me Enterprise Dodge Neon that probably cost $13,000. Anyway, it took 2 weeks before I got it back for seat belt part, and I had to drive this Neon to work and back everyday plus only vehicle on weekends. So I'm sure there are lots of unhappy Fusion/Escape customers stuck with Enterprise junk.

• Like 1

I think Ford should offer customers either to trade out of the 1.6 Escape into a 2.0/2.5 or let them stay in a rental and give out an ESP when 1.6 is fixed.

Ford is still producing the 1.6. The recall covers job1 through November 29th. So obviously they know something and it must have been corrected after Novemeber 29th.

IF you do the Math $55 a day on an affected 89k vehicles. That is $ 4,895,000 a day. Which ends up approx $146,850,000 a month. I know some vehicles are not sold and do not require a rental. However, would it not be better to just trade customers out into another Ford vehicle and when these are fixed, run through auction or use them for Dealership loaners or Fleet?

$55/day for whatever random POS Enterprise has...at the volume rates Ford's contracted with them? I don't think that's plausible. But your point is still vaiid.

I recently had an Enteprise rental. My 2010 was in the shop for some body work (ouch). The insurance company rate was $30./day. I would think Ford would be getting an even better rate. When Enterprise showed up at the body shop they had a 2012 Fusion for me to drive. Edited by hermans

I am still driving my 1.6L Escape. I keep an eye on the engine temperature gauge and the engine warms up in 5 minutes or less. When warm the temperature gauge is a little less than 50% and if it goes over that I know the coolant valve has failed to open.

I recently had an Enteprise rental. My 2010 was in the shop for some body work (ouch). The insurance company rate was $30./day. I would think Ford would be getting an even better rate. When Enterprise showed up at the body shop they had a 2012 Fusion for me to drive.

The Recall states Ford will pay $55 a day for rental. We are renting from Hertz or Enterprise and charging it to Ford. Unless Ford gets money back after the claim is paid, it is costing a lot of money.

The Recall states Ford will pay $55 a day for rental. We are renting from Hertz or Enterprise and charging it to Ford. Unless Ford gets money back after the claim is paid, it is costing a lot of money.

It likely says it will pay "up to $55" per day. If you're "charging it to Ford", there's nothing for Ford to "get back" because they will pay whatever the contracted rate is with the company.

my Enterprise contract says $30 a day plus they are paying 14.99 a day for insurance plus various taxes which can vary greatly on the area, so $55 a day is easy.

stuck in a minivan that smells like smoke and a low tire pressure warning that wont go out and really badly worn fronttires but they have no other vehicles left.....

It likely says it will pay "up to $55" per day. If you're "charging it to Ford", there's nothing for Ford to "get back" because they will pay whatever the contracted rate is with the company.

I think Ford should offer customers either to trade out of the 1.6 Escape into a 2.0/2.5 or let them stay in a rental and give out an ESP when 1.6 is fixed.

Ford is still producing the 1.6. The recall covers job1 through November 29th. So obviously they know something and it must have been corrected after Novemeber 29th.

The recall was announced on 30 November, I have a feeling that 1.6 EBs after that date are being held until the fix can be done before delivery'..

IF you do the Math $55 a day on an affected 89k vehicles. That is $ 4,895,000 a day. Which ends up approx $146,850,000 a month. I know some vehicles are not sold and do not require a rental. However, would it not be better to just trade customers out into another Ford vehicle and when these are fixed, run through auction or use them for Dealership loaners or Fleet?
Only about half the vehicles recalled have been sold so figure on about $70 million a month in rental costs.

That sounds a lot to us but it's really chicken feed to ford, I'm btting they solve this inside the next two weeks.

Chances are they already know what it is but won't announce until an effective repair procedure is developed.

I think the "free trade" deal would especially be effective at combating the dark memories of this event while still keeping their butts in a Ford.

Or how about all cash sale customers are refunded their money and every 1.6 EB affected becomes a zero interest lease vehicle with

guaranteed buy back to Ford after two years, Buyers have a vehicle on great terms, an assurance that their vehicle will be covered

and access to a new vehicle inside two years time..

Edited by jpd80

It's already going on a week and no word of any fix. I remember my last recall was on my '99 Taurus SE that I had for a seat belt problem. Took it in, and dealer said I had to leave it, and it would be few days before parts arrived. Said they would give me a loaner. I'm turning in $22,000 Taurus and Ford gives me Enterprise Dodge Neon that probably cost $13,000. Anyway, it took 2 weeks before I got it back for seat belt part, and I had to drive this Neon to work and back everyday plus only vehicle on weekends. So I'm sure there are lots of unhappy Fusion/Escape customers stuck with Enterprise junk.

It's been a week now with our Hyundai Tucson from enterprise. We hate it more every day

I am still driving my 1.6L Escape. I keep an eye on the engine temperature gauge and the engine warms up in 5 minutes or less. When warm the temperature gauge is a little less than 50% and if it goes over that I know the coolant valve has failed to open.

Does anyone know if the 1.6 uses a ECU controlled thermostat?

• Like 1