Ordering 2013 Explorer Limited 4WD (USAA vs Dealership Pricing)

I wish I found this website a while ago as there is a ton of great information on it. My 2000 Ford Focus is starting to go downhill and my wife and I have decided to buy a new Explorer Limited 4WD. I have several questions concerning the pricing of what USAA has "guaranteed" and what the dealership is charging. I live in Fort Rucker, AL which is about 1 hour south of Montgomery. The zipcode is 36116. Here are my questions:

1. They said they would honor all USAA Car Buying Service Savings. USAA computed the invoice as $37,217 but the dealer is using $37,417 and not applying the $200 guaranteed invoice reduction from USAA. Has anyone here worked with USAA as a dealer/customer and is this fee taken out when I pick up the vehicle?

2. I asked them about the customer loyalty discount of $1000 and they said I had to be part of the mailing list to receive this discount. The research on here and on Ford.com shows that my 2000 Ford Focus should allow me to receive this discount without trading it in. Any idea why I shouldn't receive this discount?

3. I have read different information concerning what rebates I will receive. I ordered the vehicle 12/8/12 and it won't arrive until january. Some forums say that I should be able to get a rebate "lock in" for when I ordered it and then choose whether to use those rebates or the rebates in January. Other forums say that you can't lock in rebates. Can anyone tell me where to focus my research to see if this dealership is one that can keep the current rebates available for me? I find it hard to believe that I can order a $45,000 vehicle, not be able to receive it until January and then be forced to use unknown rebates when I finally purchase it.

4. They are charging me, seperate of invoice, for the regional advertisement fee ($719.00) and fuel charge ($67.64). I thought these were required to be part of the invoice price since they can't change these from the factory. USAA also is using $660 for the regional advertisement pricing and they are using $719.00, is that correct for this area? What is the fuel charge? If that is merely a fee to fuel the Explorer then it better be rocket fuel...

I appreciate everyone's help. I don't know if the salesperson just didn't know about these items or if he just didn't want to tell me. I filled out and signed the Buyers order form with a $500.00 deposit yesterday (12/8/12). I have until tomorrow morning to call them before they charge me for the order. Thanks!

The advertising fee and fuel charge are part of the dealer invoice price but they're shown separately on the invoice so it depends on which total invoice price you're looking at. Shouldn't be hard to figure out if you see the actual invoice. Also - the X plan price already includes all of that and it shoud be about $150 or so above the actual total dealer invoice price.

• 7 years later...