New Silverado, Sierra unveiled

PREMiERdrum

xlarge.jpg

Chevy just unveiled its brand new full size pickup trucks, the Silverado and the GMC Sierra.

On first glance, they look meaner and freight train-ier than before. The Silverado has larger headlights and a really imposing grill. But it's kind of boring if you ask us.

The Silverado will have two V8s, a 5.3 and 6.2 liter (which may be a variant of the LT1 from the 2014 Corvette), and a brand new 4.3 V6 based on the V8. There are no turbos, but they do have cylinder deactivation and direct injection to maximize fuel economy. This is hooked up to a six speed automatic. GM is estimating 17 MPG combined, which isn't stellar, but is damn good for a pickup truck. Power ratings aren't out yet, but they should be pretty powerful.

xlarge.jpg

http://jalopnik.com/5968132/this-is-the-brand-new-chevy-silverado-and-gmc-sierra

• Like 1

So what is different about the truck? Looks like the same shit we've seen for the past 20 years...the head lights on the GMC are pretty horrible...the '13 F-150 looks better and I'm sure the '15 F-150 will blow this turd out of the water...very disapointing for GM and good news for the F-150

Pretty conservative effort.  The GM faithful will like, but I'm not sure it will pick up many conquest sales.

I really chuckled at the statement by engine design manager, Jordan Lee, that the engines are the most "technologically advanced engines ever offered in a light-duty pickup."  These engines are all cam-in-block with pushrods.  Maybe technologically advanced for 1955, but not today.

Edited by mackinaw
  • Like 1

AFAIK, these engines are all cam-in-block with pushrods.

You are correct mackinaw - the EcoTec3 series uses an overhead valve design. (Link with details)

I think the new 2014 MY GM light duty pickups are the first to feature gasoline direct injection, cylinder deactivation, and variable valve timing across the board. Maybe that's the basis for Mr. Lee's comment about the engines being technologically advanced.

Good god that Chevy interior is awful. I mean, it looks like a mid-year refresh of my old '97 S-10, and that is NOT a good thing. I pulled up a high-rez on my monitor and I think the paint on the wall behind me began to peel. I know there are a bunch of people who think the Camaro's interior is secretly awsome, like if you look PAST it like one of those mystery paintings it's true beauty becomes apparent, But everyone has to agree this is just plain bad, right?

• Like 2

You are correct mackinaw - the EcoTec3 series uses an overhead valve design. (Link with details)

I think the new 2014 MY GM light duty pickups are the first to feature gasoline direct injection, cylinder deactivation, and variable valve timing across the board. Maybe that's the basis for Mr. Lee's comment about the engines being technologically advanced.

And yet no power or economy numbers, yet they're class-leading. :huh:

That's the most glaring gaffe on GM's part.

Meh, looks like a chunky truck, nothing really wrong there beyond a lack of sophistication, especially on the interior.

Technologically there isn't much going on either.

I'm sure they will sell plenty.

Looks better than any of the Ford Trucks IMO, except that dashboard...I couldn't stomach that.

Edited by BORG

sigh, why couldn't GM have put that interior into the current truck and just rolled in the other the changes in later next year.

I really don't see a lot here to be excited about and in fact if I was GM, I'd be more than a little worried about the 2015 F150...

Silverado is a key revenue product to GM, I see this as continued mishandling of critical income stream,

oh it will probably sell OK but like all things GM, never actually live up to its full sales potential.

Stunned silence at GMI.......except of course for bashing Lincoln and C-Max hybrid fuel economy claims.

Edited by jpd80

sigh, why couldn't GM have put that interior into the current truck and just rolled in the other the changes in later next year.

I really don't see a lot here to be excited about and in fact if I was GM, I'd be more than a little worried about the 2015 F150...

Silverado is a key revenue product to GM, I see this as continued mishandling of critical income stream,

oh it will probably sell OK but like all things GM, never actually live up to its full sales potential.

Stunned silence at GMI.......except of course for bashing Lincoln and C-Max hybrid fuel economy claims.

How about waiting for the HP and fuel mileage numbers before all out GM bashing. The Terrain has that squared off truck look, so not surprised with that design theme on new Silverado. Looks to me like Chevy is trying to appeal to hardcore truck buyers who expect their ride to look like truck, not a sedan. Not that the F-150 is feminine in any way, but that Chevy is trying harder to make its pickup look really ready for tough use at construction sites. I would suspect GM put lots of money into refinement, improved parts quality, and noise control. I lalso thought new pickups would have 8 speed auto...maybe new trans is not ready yet. Put in later.

How about waiting for the HP and fuel mileage numbers before all out GM bashing. The Terrain has that squared off truck look, so not surprised with that design theme on new Silverado. Looks to me like Chevy is trying to appeal to hardcore truck buyers who expect their ride to look like truck, not a sedan. Not that the F-150 is feminine in any way, but that Chevy is trying harder to make its pickup look really ready for tough use at construction sites. I would suspect GM put lots of money into refinement, improved parts quality, and noise control. I lalso thought new pickups would have 8 speed auto...maybe new trans is not ready yet. Put in later.

I stand by what i said, an interior like that should be in this year's truck and the rest of the changes introduced next year.

maybe then, GM wouldn't have over 200,000 trucks in inventory....

And as I said it will sell OK but not up to the potential it should, 8-speed, cylinder deactivation and DI are about as much

tech as GM can afford to bring - rolling in the changes would allow GM to have worked down the stock plie much quicker..

I stand by what i said, an interior like that should be in this year's truck and the rest of the changes introduced next year.

maybe then, GM wouldn't have over 200,000 trucks in inventory....

And as I said it will sell OK but not up to the potential it should, 8-speed, cylinder deactivation and DI are about as much

tech as GM can afford to bring - rolling in the changes would allow GM to have worked down the stock plie much quicker..

Well, GM is just not as smart as the armchair quarterbacks on here that are only positive about one auto company and everyone else is incompetent or worse. Very seldom does any BOF fanatic say anything positive about any new product posted on this site. I'm no big fan of GM and probably have more reason to dislike them than most on here far removed from SE MI, but there is real talent there, always has been, and I sure hope they prosper just as much as I do for Ford.

Edited by RichardJensen
2 posts. You have 3 left.

Well, GM is just not as smart as the armchair quarterbacks on here that are only positive about one auto company and everyone else is incompetent or worse. Very seldom does any BOF fanatic say anything positive about any new product posted on this site. I'm no big fan of GM and probably have more reason to dislike them than most on here far removed from SE MI, but there is real talent there, always has been, and I sure hope they prosper just as much as I do for Ford.

Actually I'm not a GM basher. I'm just surprised that they were so conservative in their update of this very important truck. And while GM is going to try and spin this as being a "working man's truck," any truck out there can legitimately claim the same. After all, any engineer worth their salt is going to design a pickup truck for the work market first and for the weekend woods warrior second. Look at it this way. They spent 4 billion dollars for what. Warmed over styling? a 1980's interior? A new line of pushrod engines. Seriously?

Eek, pretty underwhelming stuff once again from GM. For all this talk about how important this new pick-up is for GM I feel they've dropped the ball once again. That interior looks like it came right out of 1989! And those crazy square wheel wheels are still out of place and awkward and clash badly with the rest of the design. But, the GM faithful will love it and if they sold the last generation they'll sell these too. The GMC looks better of the two, but personally I still was expecting more.

Also it's pretty bad when it takes literally 5 minutes to photoshop it into the vehicle Hollywood built to spoof the American car industry of the 1980's...

2014chevroletsilveradol.png

lol It's an uncanny resemblance! XD

• Like 2

For the GM haters who are long on opinions and short of facts about new Silverado. With this being said, I'm well aware that when the next Ford pickup comes out in couple years, it will leapfrog once again over the competition. So GM better have planned MCE's to deal with it so it doesn't fall so far behind again.

"GM says the 2014 trucks should put Chevy and GMC ahead of the competition in styling and performance. The trucks look a little more aggressive and aerodynamic. They will have quieter cabs, and updated steering, suspensions and brakes, GM says.

Gas mileage and pricing of the trucks were not released, although GM North American President Mark Reuss says customers will be surprised by the prices. He says the trucks are 200 pounds lighter than Ford and Chrysler competitors. That will boost gas mileage although GM won't say by how much.

The trucks should close the gap with Ford's F-150 and Chrysler's revamped Ram, especially if the engines are more powerful and efficient, says Jeff Schuster, senior vice president of forecasting for LMC Automotive, a Detroit-area firm that tracks auto sales trends.

"The focus that they really put into these trucks, I think, gets them there," he said.

He was impressed by GM's attention to detail. For example, there's a step built into the rear bumper to gain access to the bed. And the doors fit into recesses in the body to make the trucks quieter.

GM offers three revamped engines: a 262-horsepower, 4.3-liter V-6 that GM says can tow a substantial trailer; a 325-horsepower, 5.3-liter V-8 that will get better mileage than the 22 mpg the current model gets on highways; and a 6.2-liter V-8 with 376 horsepower."

Edited by RichardJensen
That's 3. You have 2 more posts remaining