2013 Lincoln MKZ Launch Delays

I wouldn't expect a 2014 till summer time....

With real deliveries of the MKZ ramping up in March, I wouldn't expect the 2014's till end of 2013 at the earliest. A Lincoln rep told me that they had no plans for a short 2013 model year, but anything is possible. They probably do now need to get back on a more competitive model year schedule.

Man, if you want an MKZ you probably want to reserve your copy from dealer inventory quick!

Agreed. But this is not just a Ford thing. I read other brand forums and people complain about their pre-orders as well. Pretty much a mirror of what's happening here.

Best thing to do is be extremely patient or just buy dealer stock.

Agreed. But this is not just a Ford thing. I read other brand forums and people complain about their pre-orders as well. Pretty much a mirror of what's happening here.

Best thing to do is be extremely patient or just buy dealer stock.

Spot on: My order is delayed due to the Multi Contour seats which I've read conflicting reports about here regarding availability but patience is the name of the game.

I'm in for the long haul, I'll keep my car for minimum 10 years and I want what I want.

I'll wait and I'm okay with it.

I just found this little tidbit of information about the Sonora plant that makes the MKZ

Last year, the Hermosillo Ford factory exported 327,000 cars all over the world, including Saudi Arabia and Senegal. About 300,000 went to the U.S., said López, CEO of Ford Mexico.

Hoyt, the Fusion's marketing director, said once 2013 production is in full swing, Hermosillo will build 62 Fusions and MKZ's per hour.

That was 2011..LINK but i would expect similar last year too as Hermosillo's Nth American production of roughly 285,000 Fusion and over 20,000 MKZ

It does bear out an interesting idea regarding just how long the 2013 MKZ will be with us,

would Lincoln do a short hop to a 2014 model or be more inclined to delay slightly to a 2015 MCE?

I'm thinking that 2015 model could be released about this time next year, maybe have more Wolff updates?

Edited by jpd80

same info here on mine as of today. well at least there is a vin # now. Sure doesn't feel like they are in any sort of hurry to get this rolling though.

I ordered a 2013 Z in early november with a promise date of "by Christmas". Then it was late january. I emailed one of the MKZ marketing types asking for some clarification as the dealer in Knoxville was clueless. They whistled up the dealer and I got a call from them a couple hours later (must have a batphone for impatient customers) and now I'm being told late February. They do exist as the dealer here in Knoxville actually has one in the showroom.

Anyone have an explanation of exactly why the launch is delayed and why the communication is so poor?

I went to the New England auto show today and got to see the MKZ for the first time. I have to say I love this car! The Lincoln display was tiny, no other Lincoln got any attention at all, but everyone who was looking at this car liked it too. It was too bad that they did not have this available for the "test drive" at the show, but if it is as good as the Fusion I did get to try, then this car will be a winner.

The bad news for Lincoln was the Caddy ATS is stunning in person! It is so dumpy and "old CTS" in its pictures, but the real thing is very nice!

Edited by atomcat68

Supposedly, lincoln is working on a new (or heavily revised) awd system that is RWD based.This along with a more dedicated sporty suspension (not sure if it will offer different bits or just a more aggressive lincoln drive control), new engine option (new generation eb OR current gen 3.5 eb) and the arrival of lincolns answer to gm's mag ride should make for a sporty mkz....also, anyone heard of what exactly the "black label" will be?

Supposedly, lincoln is working on a new (or heavily revised) awd system that is RWD based.This along with a more dedicated sporty suspension (not sure if it will offer different bits or just a more aggressive lincoln drive control), new engine option (new generation eb OR current gen 3.5 eb) and the arrival of lincolns answer to gm's mag ride should make for a sporty mkz....also, anyone heard of what exactly the "black label" will be?

Do you have a link or reference to share? LCC is the answer to Mag Ride but it reads the road half as much (500x vs. 1000x).

...who they've listed as someone they intend to compete with.

Ford/Lincoln can accomplish a great deal with those customers by adding niche vehicles, while leaving most of their respective lines fwd-based. On the other hand, Ford cannot and will not ignore the popularity of successful RWD cars, nor the ongoing calls for it...because to do so wouldn't simply be bad business, but utterly challenged.

Ford, according to people generally on the ball, seems to have RWD irons in the fire along with their existing efforts. In theory, everyone wins.

Unless Ford tears up their AWD system, they can't do RWD bias on a transverse engine. The transfer case can't run full time, and further, I doubt very much that Ford is looking for customers for whom RWD is a 'must have'. Those people are going to buy BMWs.