Ford Atlas Concept previews pickup future

It does concern me...but then, I'm very suspicious of any added complication on vehicles. Hearing about all the MFT issues and what-not makes me glad my vehicles just barely pre-date the "put it on the touch screen" generation of Fords.

That said, I'm very interested in the next Mustang and Expy.

Does anyone else think that is WAY too many mechanized gizmos on a truck?

Well remember that 90% of the truck that'll work hard and see mud and work gloves on the dash daily will be XLs and base XLTs.

Don't be so sure of that. There are plenty of contractors driving around in Lariat, FX4, King Ranch trucks, not to mention ranchers, loggers, oil field workers, etc.. They use the truck as an office as well, so they want the best.

Don't be so sure of that. There are plenty of contractors driving around in Lariat, FX4, King Ranch trucks, not to mention ranchers, loggers, oil field workers, etc.. They use the truck as an office as well, so they want the best.

Depends. Fleet orders are guaranteed to be base-level vehicles. Working for a Natural Resource Agency for 34 years, I can tell you that trucks meant for field work are nothing fancy. My very first work truck back in the mid-70's (a Chevy) had manual steering, manual brakes, manual transmission, no A/C, no radio and vinyl seats.

Even the contractors I work with (loggers and oil industry) drive base pickups. Owners may buy the fancy stuff, but field Foresters, Geologists and Wildlife Biologists drive plain-jane pickups.

Is it possible the truck in the camo is the F-100 and the atlas concept is what to come if the F-150 and super duty line are combined? There was some talk on BON not too long ago that Ford may combine the light duty and heavy duty trucks using the same interior parts and sheet metal and some power trains if combined back up. Was it '98 when the light duty and heavy duty split and became the separate F-150, F-250, etc? I'm probably wrong but the only thing that would separate the light duty from heavy duty would be the frame, right? The F-150 uses a boxed frame while the super duty uses c-channel. Anyway, I like the concept. There's only so much you can do with trucks as far as styling goes. It'll come down to capability and FE that separates the leader (Ford) from the rest of the pack. The Chevy's, while capable, offer nothing new and the styling is just ugly. Would love to have a crew cab F-100 with a 3.7 or 2.7 EB, manual tranny 2-tone dark blue/dark grey.

• Like 1

Is it possible the truck in the camo is the F-100 and the atlas concept is what to come if the F-150 and super duty line are combined? There was some talk on BON not too long ago that Ford may combine the light duty and heavy duty trucks using the same interior parts and sheet metal and some power trains if combined back up. Was it '98 when the light duty and heavy duty split and became the separate F-150, F-250, etc? I'm probably wrong but the only thing that would separate the light duty from heavy duty would be the frame, right? The F-150 uses a boxed frame while the super duty uses c-channel. Anyway, I like the concept. There's only so much you can do with trucks as far as styling goes. It'll come down to capability and FE that separates the leader (Ford) from the rest of the pack. The Chevy's, while capable, offer nothing new and the styling is just ugly. Would love to have a crew cab F-100 with a 3.7 or 2.7 EB, manual tranny 2-tone dark blue/dark grey.

I thought during the 80/90's the frames were mostly the same for everything. Bronco/F-1/2/350 with minor differences here and there to accommodate the heavier duty parts on the 2 and 350

Atlas from my understanding underneath all the fancy one-off stuff was an existing F-Series... It is only a glimpse of the design and technology future Ford is thinking of. It was probably pulled together in last few months as Ford decided which of the 2015 vehicles to give a preview of. Some of the items (wheel shutters) seem to be a bit far out there... But the stop-start, grill shutters, and front valance are all reasonable (at least in the higher trims).

• 4 weeks later...

First off, I must have been under a rock this past month. This is the first mention I've seen of this truck, and OMG, I am in love. Bravo FORD!!!

Looks to me like they just updated the current vehicle.

Really? Seen this stated in the thread quite a bit, but owning an '06 and seeing quite a few 09+ models, I just don't see this. Sure the tail lights look like an update, and other than the fender flares, this looks like a completely new truck. Sure you have a basic shape, as do all trucks, but the execution is quite different IMO.

Ford's truck grilles just get uglier and uglier with each generation...

Personally, I love that grille. But knowing Ford, they will have 5-10 different grilles, depending on trim/model.

I don't see anyway that the Atlas concept is the future F150. It's even taller, wider and longer than a Supercrew Raptor. The track is almost 5" wider. I could understand an F250 or 350 being larger, but to have your smallest truck be that massive doesn't seem quite right to me.

See the quote below. If it truly comes out to be bigger, maybe Ford is looking at releasing an F100 or bringing back the Ranger. Or maybe this is the new SD, and the F150 is the concept shown and will shrink.

Is it possible the truck in the camo is the F-100 and the atlas concept is what to come if the F-150 and super duty line are combined?

Based on the camo product and this Atlas possibly being bigger, I could see that.

My thoughts exactly.

Oh my, Akirby and I agree. Hells gonna freeze over now.

As for the truck, if this truck design makes production, I think I've found the replacement for the 2006. Of course being a concept, the interior is slightly over the top, but sure Ford would put a more natural/practical interior in it. Even then, the interior shots so far aren't too unrealistic. Otherwise for the exterior design, it's a beauty, with the exact color I'd want.

I see an SD resemblance up front, sort of a current Ram cab design/execution, and a unique bed design. I simply do not see any aspect of this truck that I dislike, except maybe the side mirrors. Sure all the technological advancements scare me, especially after the MFT issues. But being the F-Series is Fords bread and butter product, I'm sure they'll make sure any of these items they implement will be tested thoroughly and not just thrown in vehicles like MFT was on certain products.

Damn you Ford, now you got me interested in a new product after all the watered down products (IMO) of late. Dang, when does build date begin, and how much more $$$ is this truck gonna cost over the existing, already pricey F-Series products??? Gonna have to start saving now!

Edited by V8-X

My thoughts exactly.

Oh my, Akirby and I agree. Hells gonna freeze over now.

Excuse me while I go delete my earlier post. :)

This is why I enjoy this forum so much ;)

That said I do think the size of the grilles on the F series is getting out of hand, truck looks great.

The Atlas looks bigger than it is, although it doesn't look as svelt as the camoed prototype, although the prototype obviously shows off the lower fascia and smaller bumper evident in the concept. In person, the Atlas looks very much like the current F-150 in size and design, but with quite a bit more ornament decorating a fairly conservative body design. It's a fine looking truck, it just doesn't excite. And yes it's unmistakably new, just like the 2008 Escape's sheemetal was all-new, but it's not a standout kind of newness...allot like the new GM trucks actually.