My Escape Died on me today!

blockisle9

You have to depress the brake to shift the vehicle out of park.

I think reading comprehension is too difficult for some forum users.

So maybe it should say"driving away is impossible without depressing the brake pedal".

Thank goodness for GED's.

Edited by Escapism

hitting the brake is impossible before driving away".

"Not" got deleted. It should be that depressing the brake is required before the trans can be put into Drive from Park.

vehicle is just to complex for some people

Including the service staff.

The proper procedures were followed and yet the vehicle died. Having Ford service simply shrug their shoulders and tell you they don;t have a clue what's wrong isn't very comforting to the owner who must drive the vehicle hoping the next time it happens they aren't in the middle of a six lane highway with no where to go. Demanding payment is simply salt in the wound. The dealer needs to step up and get some answers.

Edited by rscalzo

If the vehicle has been remote started

and is equipped with an integrated keyhead

transmitter, you must turn the ignition on

before driving the vehicle. If equipped with

an intelligent access transmitter, you must

press the START/STOP button on the

instrument panel once while applying the

brake pedal before driving the vehicle.

Well dang - that's wrong! I just tried it and I did NOT have to touch the brake! And yep, I have IA. ...and I have been wasting so much energy stepping on the brake pedal.... :runaway:

I did NOT have to touch the brake! while applying the

brake pedal before driving the vehicle

So your vehicle allows you to put the vehicle in Drive without depressing the brake? As I see it, placing the transmission in "Drive" would be an essential step in driving the vehicle.

• 3 weeks later...
You do NOT have to press the brake pedal while pushing the start button to go from "remote start" mode to "you can drive it now" mode.

You DO have to press the brake pedal to shift from "Park" to anything else.

Carry on.... :)

Exactly just hopping in and hitting start without brake puts you in accessory. But while in remote start mode puts you in drive mode. Still have to hit the brake to shift and if you do that in remote start the screen tells you "Exit remote mode and depress brake pedal"

All of this is true. It still does not explain what I personally did to couse the vehical to die in the middle of the road pertaining to the remote start like the dealer said I did.

To this day, I still think twice before using it. When I do, I don't touch the brake till after I push the start button, then I put my foot on the break in order to shift to drive. I do forget sometimes, and put my foot on the brake then push the start then shift to drive.

I have not duplicated the issue since then.

Lenny

It still does not explain what I personally did to cause the vehicle to die in the middle of the road pertaining to the remote start like the dealer said I did.

Since it happened once to me, I think it has nothing to do with the "brake-on", "brake-off" issue. I know that my Remote-Start session timed-out a second or less before I pushed the Start button. I think the shutdown sequence did not complete and was still processing when I hit Start. I believe the fuel/fuel-pump shut off and did not switch back on - therefor running out of gas a few hundred feet down the road (which was exactly the behavior). Once I came to a stop and completely re-cycled the startup sequence, the vehicle operated fine, and I've had no issues since. (And the codes did indicate Remote Start).

I think Ford should change the firmware, re-write the manual, and snail-mail every owner, that just like every other remote-start vehicle in the world, if running via remote start, touching the brake will shut the engine off, and simply touching Start without the brake will change from Remote Start to Run.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
Just came across TSB 13-2-5 that may address OP's original problem, where the vehicle can stall shortly after the vehicle is driven, when remote start is used.

http://www.fordservicecontent.com/pubs/content/~WT/~MUS~LEN/3565/tsb13-02-05.pdf

Thank you, stopped at the dealer today and they will be applying the TSB to the vehicle Thursday.

• Like 1