What's the (engine) mix? (F150)

Debated on whether or not to post this in F-150 section, but thought it might more useful (to others) here.

I've been looking at used F-150s (2011-2012s, mostly). I've been focusing on Crew Cab models with around ~25,000 miles or less. Most of the crew cab (XLT) models I'm seeing are the base (3.7L) engine, and it makes me wonder.

Is this because the V6 is very prevalent among F-150 CC XLTs, or is it that the original owners likely grew dissatisfied with the performance of the V6 in the CC, and traded the truck? I've wondered if the ones I'm seeing could be lease or ex-fleet vehicles, but without asking about ever single vehicle, there's no way to know.

I've been looking around the local Raleigh Ford dealerships and Carmax, it that matters.

Is there a way to find out what the engine percentages (V6/V8/EB) for the F-150 have been over the last couple of years, or does anyone know?

Debated on whether or not to post this in F-150 section, but thought it might more useful (to others) here.

I've been looking at used F-150s (2011-2012s, mostly). I've been focusing on Crew Cab models with around ~25,000 miles or less. Most of the crew cab (XLT) models I'm seeing are the base (3.7L) engine, and it makes me wonder.

Is this because the V6 is very prevalent among F-150 CC XLTs, or is it that the original owners likely grew dissatisfied with the performance of the V6 in the CC, and traded the truck? I've wondered if the ones I'm seeing could be lease or ex-fleet vehicles, but without asking about ever single vehicle, there's no way to know.

I've been looking around the local Raleigh Ford dealerships and Carmax, it that matters.

Is there a way to find out what the engine percentages (V6/V8/EB) for the F-150 have been over the last couple of years, or does anyone know?

I was thinking it was something like 40% EB, 15% V6, and the rest mixed between the 5.0 and 6.2, with the 6.2 being a very small %.

I was thinking it was something like 40% EB, 15% V6, and the rest mixed between the 5.0 and 6.2, with the 6.2 being a very small %.

I think your right....it was ~50% EB V6 and 3.7 and the rest 5L with a small portion of 6.2Ls in Raptors and other very high end F-150s

I am a long-time devotee of this website but rarely post. I work for a major car rental company and just wanted to note to Ranger M when looking for a used vehicle only a year or so old: I can tell you from personal experience that many of these trucks in daily rental fleets are used hard and hammered good. I would say they get at least twice the amount of wear and tear for the mileage as a vehicle in regular use. We have a large number of Crew Cab XLT 4x4s with the 5.0l and they regularly come back trashed inside and out. They clean up good but you know it takes some of the life out to them long term. If you plan to keep it a long time I would try to find out what it was used for.

Some of the dealerships offer online Carfax histories where they list the previous use. Assuming this information is reliable, it appears to be a mixture of rental/fleet and personal ownership.

That said, if the base V6 is so uncommon among (new) XLT Crew Cabs, it sounds like the most likely reason for their ubiquity in the used market is they were rental/fleet or their owners didn't like them. I haven't test driven one, yet. But when I do, I'll keep that in mind.

I heard a rumor the 6.2L won't be in the next gen. F-150.

The 6.2 in F150 is pretty much a flop, it may do better in F250 but I have a hunch that the diesel is pretty popular..

It's a shame that a stronger transmission isn't available to cope with the full potential of the Ecoboost V6,

I think that combined with a smaller Nano v6 Ecoboost would change the landscape immensely..

Edited by jpd80

The 6.2 in F150 is pretty much a flop, it may do better in F250 but I have a hunch that the diesel is pretty popular..

It's a shame that a stronger transmission isn't available to cope with the full potential of the Ecoboost V6,

I think that combined with a smaller Nano v6 Ecoboost would change the landscape immensely..

I don't think the 3.5 Ecoboost would do well in the Super Duty. When it's under load, it gets worse gas mileage than a 5.0 and the Super Duty being so heavy, it would always be under load. Now the 3.2L I5 Powerstroke might be a good "economical" option for the Super Duty.

As far as the 3.7L in the SuperCrews, I am willing to bet most are lease or rental fleet returns. I would hold out for a 5.0 or 3.5L Ecoboost if I were you.

• Like 1