Why two batteries in the Lincoln MKZ Hybrid

Ok, so like Radio, Nav, etc... I get that. So does all climate work off of the hybrid battery, both AC and Heat? I was reading that another way to boost your MPG in hybrids was to watch your climate usage. Which I guess means that this electricity is being used for climate rather than powering your car??

Oh hey I just noticed your location, I actually come to Alpharetta quite often on business. Nice little area, I have some corporate offices on Windward Parkway.....

Edited by tanner83

• 2 months later...

Tanner-

This is going to sound stupid but .... On the 2013 MKZ Hybrid trunk ... can we store things on the small upper back shelf? The manual says not to put things on the package tray because there are vents that use cabin air to cool the batteries. The package tray I assume they mean is the one in the back window behind the rear passenger seats. Does that mean we aren't supposed to use that small upper self in the trunk? I'm on the road, and the trunk space in this car is SMALL but I've been concerned about using that shelf. I should think if they didn't want us to use it, they'd have just blocked it off. What do you think?

You can put anything in the trunk that fits. Even on top of the battery. Only place of concern in inside the car on the rear window. There are vent holes to draw in air to cool the battery. Do not place anything there at all.

Thanks, Serraph, it makes sense to be able to use it but my last question: if the cooling vents aren't able to access the top shelf because we have stuff up there, is that defeating the purpose of the cooling. Still not a problem?

Thanks, Serraph, it makes sense to be able to use it but my last question: if the cooling vents aren't able to access the top shelf because we have stuff up there, is that defeating the purpose of the cooling. Still not a problem?

Top of the vents, no. Top of the battery, yes. The battery chamber is sealed except for the vents and ducts leading to the battery and vent holes if that makes sense. Think of the battery compartment as a shelf, you can put anything on top. It won't affect the ventilation in any way. Now if you place something in the vent holes which are inside the rear of the windows then that's a no no.

When the ignition is off, the high voltage battery is disconnected via a solenoid pack. So the 12v battery runs all the modules and other items. When the ignition is turned on, the high voltage battery is enabled. The HV battery keeps the 12V battery charged like an alternator does on a conventional car through a dc/dc convertor.

So basically like someone already posted, the small battery runs non powertrain items.