Ford's Current Dealership Design

I know the current Ford dealership "look" has been around for a few years, but here's an interesting .pdf from Ford's Trustmark Design division talking about specs, prices, and materials for Ford's Dealership model:

http://www.fordtrustmarkdesign.com/trustmark/up/Ford_Proto_750.pdf

Didn't see anything revolutionary in design there, looks similar to current Volvo product. Love generic 'building footprints', they almost never exist, requiring lots of re-interpretation and re-design.

Didn't see anything revolutionary in design there, looks similar to current Volvo product. Love generic 'building footprints', they almost never exist, requiring lots of re-interpretation and re-design.

The "generic" design has to exist as a baseline... different facilities will pull pieces and parts that work within their footprint, though only an all-new store on a sandbox lot will allow the prototype to exist.

I believe this design first came about around 2009, with the curving "icon tower" and "brand wall", but it is a nice, restrained design that should age well. At the very least, it should age better than the 2003-era "American Revolution" Chevrolet dealers that GM is still requiring dealers to build.

The dealer I ordered my car from must be using a show room from the 1970s or 80s yet...its pretty horrible. They have plans on building a new dealership across the street in the next couple months though. The other Ford dealer near where I work is in the same boat, but yet the local chevy dealers are upgrading or have upgraded.

The dealer I ordered my car from must be using a show room from the 1970s or 80s yet...its pretty horrible. They have plans on building a new dealership across the street in the next couple months though. The other Ford dealer near where I work is in the same boat, but yet the local chevy dealers are upgrading or have upgraded.

In Ford's hometown area, Ford dealerships are a complete hodge podge of design with many having 70's rural look, some warm brick, and some cold, modern look. Chevy is way ahead of Ford in my area as many have Chevy's latest design signature. For example, Bill Brown Ford has the warm, brick look, Blackwell Ford the 70's dated, rural look, and Jack Demmer Ford across from MAP the same dated look in spite of being a huge Ford dealership. Most of the Ford dealerships out in exurbia around here like Saline and Ann Arbor have pretty much the same dated, rural look. Every now and then I will notice the cold, modern Ford look. I like the warm, brown brick look of Bill Brown Ford, but the rest you can have no matter what name is on sign.

HATHEWAYS_zpse4ec7482.png

Here's ours from google maps, before this summer's renovation. They covered the rear 'garage' area's concrete block with grey waved sheet metal, covered the red brick columns in the corner of the showroom with white aluminium, installed a backlit 'HATHEWAY' sign, changed the oval sign to the newest one, changed the lightposts and repaved the lot... Still looks the same except in grey and blue. They still have the A1 Used Cars sign.

Is it possible Ford of Canada's expectation for updated dealers are lower than Ford of US?

Edited by 92LX302

A common archetecture is all well and good, but it often doesn't happen.

The Ford dealer a short walk from my office is a hodge podge. The main building is a small 60s, early 70s style showroom ithe service bays right behind it. Back in the 70s (yea, I was buying cars then) the showroom could fit 3 cars (or 4 Pintos). They have added on several times, have purchased adjoining lots and buildings and repurposed them. It kind of looks like a cross between a strip mall and a car lot, a real architectureal mess. But they sell a lot of Fords, and that is what matters.

At the very least, it should age better than the 2003-era "American Revolution" Chevrolet dealers that GM is still requiring dealers to build.

Interestingly, a local Chebbie dealer sold out because (he said) he couldn't go along with the dealership facilities requirements from GM. He just built the new dealership not all that long ago (less than ten years ago, IIRC), and he built it to look more like a Bass Pro Shop (kind of a log cabin-y sort of look) store than a traditional car dealership. It's actually a nice looking dealership, and it stands out from everything else--and it took his dealership from a little generic '70s-looking store to being one of the biggest in the area.

I'd like to see what a new Lincoln dealership looks like, but my dealer closed their local shop in favor of a newer one they own about 30 miles away, hell and gone on the other side of Oklahoma City. :finger:

Edit: I just talked to a Chebbie fan, and he said the dealer sold out because his choice was to bring the dealership into line with GM's dictums or lose the dealer incentives. That's just foolishness...then again, it is Lt. Dan's GM...

Edited by SoonerLS

A common archetecture is all well and good, but it often doesn't happen.

The Ford dealer a short walk from my office is a hodge podge. The main building is a small 60s, early 70s style showroom ithe service bays right behind it. Back in the 70s (yea, I was buying cars then) the showroom could fit 3 cars (or 4 Pintos). They have added on several times, have purchased adjoining lots and buildings and repurposed them. It kind of looks like a cross between a strip mall and a car lot, a real architectureal mess. But they sell a lot of Fords, and that is what matters.

With Ford growing again, on more customer radar's since the financial crisis, and Ford did prune some Ford dealerships along with more Lincoln dealerships increasing profits for those remaining, I would hope more and more Ford stores are motivated to spend some money updating their facilities. My local Ford store even seems unwilling to update the asphalt in his parking lots let alone update the showroom/buildings. And I would say he has raised his service/maintenance prices over 30% in last few years alone. The GM dealerships in my area have all been updated, but only Ford store so far is Hines Park Lincoln that just completed Lincoln spec updae. The Honda, Nissan, and Toyota stores are all brand new and spec. Dick Scott Chrysler/Dodge just finished their complete upgrade with all new, expanded showroom and service facilities plus signage. Western Wayne County is Ford country, and lack of spec, upgraded Ford stores is rather glaring.

With Ford growing again, on more customer radar's since the financial crisis, and Ford did prune some Ford dealerships along with more Lincoln dealerships increasing profits for those remaining, I would hope more and more Ford stores are motivated to spend some money updating their facilities. My local Ford store even seems unwilling to update the asphalt in his parking lots let alone update the showroom/buildings. And I would say he has raised his service/maintenance prices over 30% in last few years alone. The GM dealerships in my area have all been updated, but only Ford store so far is Hines Park Lincoln that just completed Lincoln spec updae. The Honda, Nissan, and Toyota stores are all brand new and spec. Dick Scott Chrysler/Dodge just finished their complete upgrade with all new, expanded showroom and service facilities plus signage. Western Wayne County is Ford country, and lack of spec, upgraded Ford stores is rather glaring.

Well Gorno is getting the new look this summer and Crest in Flat Rock across from FRAP has the newer look as well. (Always think it is funny looking at destination charges on Mustangs here - $800 to drive it across the street!) Southgate Lincoln looks like it is from the 1970's, I'm actually surprised that location is still open, It is in a terrible location as demographics have changed so much. Southgate Ford Dealer isn't much better from when it was redone in the early 90's. and Taylor Ford still looks like it did in the old dog commercials of the 1980's.

Hines Park Lincoln impresses me every time I drive past, and will most likely be getting my business once the MKC is released. Blackwell Ford is a downright embarrassment and I'm not sure how they stay in business. I have delt with Suburban Ford of Sterling Heights and Tom Holzer Ford with my Edge, and both have large, modern spec facilities. The rest of the dealers should get with the times.

In Michigan, Ford dealerships are hodge-podge of marginal to modern. It's been awhile since I've seen a recently renovated Ford Dealership. Suburban Ford stands out as the most impressive facility, but it's definitely one of those dealerships that have declined and shrunken over the years. Besides downsizing, Ford hasn't really instituted any new dealership initiatives like they once did, such as Blue Oval Certified which initiated a lot of the dealership turnarounds in the late 90's, but not much has changed since then. Ford is still a company loosing market-share and dealerships struggle to thrive because they are too many and they aren't selling as many cars. Ford's margins don't benefit dealerships, they live on volume and dealer cash.

Lincoln dealerships on the other hand are going through a massive improvement program which has made a huge difference in the customer experience, not to mention consistency.

Edited by BORG

Hines Park Lincoln impresses me every time I drive past, and will most likely be getting my business once the MKC is released. Blackwell Ford is a downright embarrassment and I'm not sure how they stay in business. I have delt with Suburban Ford of Sterling Heights and Tom Holzer Ford with my Edge, and both have large, modern spec facilities. The rest of the dealers should get with the times.

Not sure what is going on with Blackwell. Noticed they have really increased their inventory lately. But I suspect owner would like to move in next few years.Thus lack of upgrades even to parking lot. Used car area is very small. Lou LaRiche Chevy next door just spent a lot of money upgrading his store which makes Blackwell Ford look worse. Bill Brown Ford is only about 5 miles down Plymouth Rd. and I suspect Blackwell wants to get out of their location and locate somewhere else with less competiton. For that matter, Holzer is not that far away either, so that Blackwell is in bad position location wise. Plymouth Rd. in that area is rather sparse also. So to sum up, I suspect as soon as Blackwell can find some vacant land in a better location with more upside, they will move and with it will come more land for bigger used car lot and space for inventory plus spec store. I would say somewhere between Canton and Ann Arbor.

In Michigan, Ford dealerships are hodge-podge of marginal to modern. It's been awhile since I've seen a recently renovated Ford Dealership. Suburban Ford stands out as the most impressive facility, but it's definitely one of those dealerships that have declined and shrunken over the years. Besides downsizing, Ford hasn't really instituted any new dealership initiatives like they once did, such as Blue Oval Certified which initiated a lot of the dealership turnarounds in the late 90's, but not much has changed since then. Ford is still a company loosing market-share and dealerships struggle to thrive because they are too many and they aren't selling as many cars. Ford's margins don't benefit dealerships, they live on volume and dealer cash.

Lincoln dealerships on the other hand are going through a massive improvement program which has made a huge difference in the customer experience, not to mention consistency.

I think 2013 is going to be a big year for Ford market share wise with new Fusion, Escape, and FLAP coming on line to build new Fusion and start up of Transit plant. Most are predicting good year for home construction meaning increasing pickup sales. So I see no reason why Ford stores wouildn't want to invest in upgraded facilities if the competition is doing same. I can see Lincoln stores balking waiting to see more evidence of Ford commitment and success, but not Ford stores. Stores like Blackwell need to either move or upgrade soon.

Yes, the Hines Park renovation worked out pretty well and is complete. Would look better with new MKZ's parked out front. Hines Park also has very good used car business and at times you can find good bargains. I use their Quick Lane facilities often located a few miles away. If Lincoln ever gets their act together, Hines Park should be able to sell lots of new Lincoln vehicles for Ford with their new facilities/lounge.

Well Gorno is getting the new look this summer and Crest in Flat Rock across from FRAP has the newer look as well. (Always think it is funny looking at destination charges on Mustangs here - $800 to drive it across the street!) Southgate Lincoln looks like it is from the 1970's, I'm actually surprised that location is still open, It is in a terrible location as demographics have changed so much. Southgate Ford Dealer isn't much better from when it was redone in the early 90's. and Taylor Ford still looks like it did in the old dog commercials of the 1980's.

Ditto with Jack Demmer Ford across Michigan Avenue from MAP that builds Focus, Focus ST, and C Max hybrid models. The distance is the width of the divided highway out front.

Ford is still a company loosing market-share and dealerships struggle to thrive because they are too many and they aren't selling as many cars. Ford's margins don't benefit dealerships, they live on volume and dealer cash..........

The average Ford dealer net profit in 2011 was $642,000. This was up 34% from 2010.

http://www.dealerelite.net/profiles/blog/show?id=5283893%3ABlogPost%3A274822&commentId=5283893%3AComment%3A275296&xg_source=activity

This is Suburban Ford in Sterling Heights. Notice you don't actually see any cars out front. They are all kept in a lot pretty far from the showroom. A very strange setup for a non-luxury "browse the lot" sort of brand.

http://goo.gl/maps/1Mm7Q

This is Huntington Ford, where I buy my Fords. Fairly decent, but smallish dealership for the type of sales they do, hard to find parking for example.

http://goo.gl/maps/Qp0dQ

And then there is Crest, which now looks totally different and is absolutely fabulous in every way, can't praise them enough.

http://goo.gl/maps/vlTe7

And here is the dump I use to buy my Lincolns from for YEARS, but has since been transformed into a used car lot for the neighboring ginormous and now very spiffy Chrysler dealership, which I'm sure is only slightly better than a trailer.

http://goo.gl/maps/BzBHI

Edited by BORG

This is the most recently refurbished dealership in our area:

328581_10151095522603843_297135507_o.jpg

I beleive there are only 2 left around here that still need to complete the changes.

For comparison, here is the current-look Chevrolet dealership (this one built in 2008 - the design originated in 2003):

pataskala_8.JPG

I find it interesting that Chevrolet still mandates the blue arch mark, despite switching the bowtie from blue to gold shortly after this design was completed.