Do all MKZ's have daytime running lamps

So I noticed on my build item list in ETIS it says less daytime running lamps. This makes no sense to me as I am ordering a reserve package. It appears even the base model has daytime running lamps am I missing something. Isn't the DRL's that line of LED lights in the facia that goes under each headlight?????

Adaptive Rd-Following LED Headlamps

Less Daytime Running Lamps

Less Front Fog Lamps

Signature Lighting

Ambient Lighting-Int Premium

Edited by tanner83

So I noticed on my build item list in ETIS it says less daytime running lamps. This makes no sense to me as I am ordering a reserve package. It appears even the base model has daytime running lamps am I missing something. Isn't the DRL's that line of LED lights that goes under each headlight?????

Adaptive Rd-Following LED Headlamps

Less Daytime Running Lamps

Less Front Fog Lamps

Signature Lighting

Ambient Lighting-Int Premium

I know that line bothered me too this morning when I looked up ETIS, oh and also:

Less Electronic Stability Control

From what I was told, the front fascia just below the headlights are the LED running lights/Fog lights. Still unconfirmed because I asked many dealers that question also. Usually fog lights are halogen with a hint of yellow to them or a different spectrum. The 2012 MKZ has fog lamps. If you look at various auto websites, some listed as fog lights/lamps and some others as DRL. If you find out concrete proof, I would love to know for sure.

Edited by Serraph

I don't remember coming across them in the build.

Neither did I. I think the lights should all be the same there, no?

942 Daytime Running Lights (Fleet) - $45

Day time running lights; Requires: [201A] Select Package/201A; Or [202A] Reserve Package/202A; Or [203A] Preferred Package/203A

So what does that mean? They don't come unless you checked the $45 extra? That was not an option on the build your own site. Maybe through the dealer.

Edited by xgman
  • Like 1

Neither did I. I think the lights should all be the same there, no?

942 Daytime Running Lights (Fleet) - $45

Day time running lights; Requires: [201A] Select Package/201A; Or [202A] Reserve Package/202A; Or [203A] Preferred Package/203A

So what does that mean? They don't come unless you checked the $45 extra? That was not an option on the build your own site. Maybe through the dealer.

Ford does not enable DRLs on any model in markets where they are not required. The DRLs are different from the LED accent lights, if equipped.

If a vehicle has LED accent lights, the LED accent lights will only illuminate with headlamps on.

Ford allows fleet customers to select DRLs in states/regions where DRLs are not mandatory, but this option is not available to retail customers.

If you want them badly, you can ask your dealer to enable them, they should be able to do so. Whether they are willing is another matter.

Edited by ibinubu12

Ford does not enable DRLs on any model in markets where they are not required. The DRLs are different from the LED accent lights, if equipped.

If a vehicle has LED accent lights, the LED accent lights will only illuminate with headlamps on.

Ford allows fleet customers to select DRLs in states/regions where DRLs are not mandatory, but this option is not available to retail customers.

If you want them badly, you can ask your dealer to enable them, they should be able to do so. Whether they are willing is another matter.

I disagree with you about DRL, the MKZ 2013 does have LED Running lamps/lights. I have the brochure and product information book that listed it there. Also asked a few sales and Lincoln Rep at auto shows that says they are but then again some said they were fog lamps but I hightly doubt that they are now fog lamps.

I was in a 2013 MKZ today. Really checked it out...no DRLs.

This is what I have for a link. As far as I know, the engine has to be on for them to work or be on. Did you have the engine on by any chance? Hopefully some one else can confirm if they do have running lamps or not. This is a puzzle. :runaway:

https://www.facebook.com/LincolnMkzHybrid#!/photo.php?fbid=336064003168160&set=a.336063966501497.82250.306071776167383&type=1&theater

This is what I have for a link. As far as I know, the engine has to be on for them to work or be on. Did you have the engine on by any chance? Hopefully some one else can confirm if they do have running lamps or not. This is a puzzle. :runaway:

https://www.facebook.com/LincolnMkzHybrid#!/photo.php?fbid=336064003168160&set=a.336063966501497.82250.306071776167383&type=1&theater

Yes I actually drove the car and walked all around the car when it was running.

Yes I actually drove the car and walked all around the car when it was running.

Mark another member on the forum has an avatar of his car with his running lighs on. Another user pointed that out to me. Weird, why would some have them and some have not?

Here is a link to what he said recently.

http://www.blueovalforums.com/forums/index.php?/topic/52528-2013-mkz-tracking/page-11

Edited by Serraph

I disagree with you about DRL, the MKZ 2013 does have LED Running lamps/lights. I have the brochure and product information book that listed it there. Also asked a few sales and Lincoln Rep at auto shows that says they are but then again some said they were fog lamps but I hightly doubt that they are now fog lamps.

LED running lights are NOT the same thing as DRLs.

DRL (to Ford, at least) is the illumination of the low-beam headlamp (at reduced output) or the LED accent lamp at all times while the vehicle is running. This is a feature available only to fleet customers in markets where DRLs are not mandatory. In Canada, DRLs are required by law, not in the United States.

• 1 month later...

Saw that you used to be able to enable DRL's via a program change. Now needs a new module. I think it would work on the 2013 led's. Going to ask my dealer if it can be enabled. I think if at all, it would need the smart junction box module listed for Fleet vehicles which is supposedly a pain to replace, and whatever labor to add and program that module in I suppose. Why the heck didn't Ford enable this like every other new car out there? Nice led lamps wasted.

edit: my dealer is going to try to reprogram a 13 hybrid on their lot and see if it can be updated to work.

Edited by xgman

Saw that you used to be able to enable DRL's via a program change. Now needs a new module. I think it would work on the 2013 led's. Going to ask my dealer if it can be enabled. I think if at all, it would need the smart junction box module listed for Fleet vehicles which is supposedly a pain to replace, and whatever labor to add and program that module in I suppose. Why the heck didn't Ford enable this like every other new car out there? Nice led lamps wasted.

edit: my dealer is going to try to reprogram a 13 hybrid on their lot and see if it can be updated to work.

Please post an update as to whether or not they're successful!

They tried to program one in but as I surmised that section is missing from these cars. So it would need the module replaced with one that has that capability and it sounds like that will either not be allowed by dealers or will be cost prohibitive. They said they would check. I get mad now every time I see an Audi or Lexus etc with those lights. Yes I like Xmas lights.

Edited by xgman

They tried to program one in but as I surmised that section is missing from these cars. So it would need the module replaced with one that has that capability and it sounds like that will either not be allowed by dealers or will be cost prohibitive. They said they would check. I get mad now every time I see an Audi or Lexus etc with those lights. Yes I like Xmas lights.

Yea, that is kind of a bummer. I was hoping to be able to get mine switched when I pick it up.

The LED accent lights will operate with just the parking lights on, it isn't necessary to turn the headlights on. Other than driving with your headlights on, that is probably the closest you can get to DRLs on MKZs in this country.

I had my US Spec 2011 Ford Fiesta DRL`s daytime Running Lights (enabled) turned on by a Ford Dealer using the Ford IDS Programmer and the Vehicles Smart Junction Box. It took about 3 Mouse Clicks and 10 Minutes. Ford (used) to offer an After Market DRL Ford Accessory DRL Kit manufactured in Canada in British Columbia by Pacific Insight. They no longer supply this device because (all) Late Model Ford Products, even those made for US Spec Vehicles have the capacity to have them "enabled" but Ford discourages Service Techs and Dealers from changing the original settings. If your Service Department says it can`t be done, check with another Ford Dealer!

The LED accent lights will operate with just the parking lights on, it isn't necessary to turn the headlights on. Other than driving with your headlights on, that is probably the closest you can get to DRLs on MKZs in this country.

XG, I think this was a huge miss, I swear I notice DRL's every time I see them. I have finally decided to turn them on manually, they look really cool!!

I had my US Spec 2011 Ford Fiesta DRL`s daytime Running Lights (enabled) turned on by a Ford Dealer using the Ford IDS Programmer and the Vehicles Smart Junction Box. It took about 3 Mouse Clicks and 10 Minutes. Ford (used) to offer an After Market DRL Ford Accessory DRL Kit manufactured in Canada in British Columbia by Pacific Insight. They no longer supply this device because (all) Late Model Ford Products, even those made for US Spec Vehicles have the capacity to have them "enabled" but Ford discourages Service Techs and Dealers from changing the original settings. If your Service Department says it can`t be done, check with another Ford Dealer!

Some of the newer vehicles in the U.S. can't turn them on. Don't remember if it's the dealer software or the vehicle software but it's no longer available on some of the newer ones.