Metal "popping" sound when starting

rk2112

For about the past month I have had a loud metal to metal popping sound right when I push the start button before the engine turns over. It only seems to happen when the vehicle is cold. Anyone else having this issue? I am taking it in to the dealer on Friday.

• 3 months later...

I got it too. It's on the list of things for my dealership to take a look at - unfortunately my Escape has been in the shop for 2 weeks now. If/when it ever gets out, I'll let you know what they said it was, and if/how it was resolved.

So, I haven't gotten my vehicle back yet, but I did get to drive it off the driveway and then U-turn it back into the dealership yesterday. We went over all of my issues and the corrections they made, and they said that this was "normal operation." That's BS... Maybe there's nothing wrong and that all 2.0L have this issue, but it's far from "normal."

I got it too. It's on the list of things for my dealership to take a look at - unfortunately my Escape has been in the shop for 2 weeks now. If/when it ever gets out, I'll let you know what they said it was, and if/how it was resolved.

What other issues has your car been in the shop for?

My escape makes the same sound everyday. When I took it to the dealer for the first oil change they couldn't duplicate it. But the funny thing is it did it when I started the car to leave the dealer. It will be addressed the next oil change again. I'm at about 7700 miles.

What other issues has your car been in the shop for?

The main thing that has been keeping it in the dealership is the headliner. It had a few dents in it when I bought it, but now they've put 3 new headliners in and have broken each one. The result is that where the vista roof ends, my headliner now sags down ~1-1.5 inches. And on the 1st replacement, I was getting rattles with it bouncing against the roof.

My 2.0l does this too, except I've had it make the noise when jarring the car when it's cold (ie, opening the back passenger door and climbing into it to get something on the other side). I've been able to make it happen two different times unrelated to starting the car.

I was looking at another forum and found this reply in a metal popping sound thread. It seems they are aware of the issue, I wonder if there will ever be a fix.

I took it into the dealership today. After about 4 hours the technician finally got a reply back from Ford engineering.

First the diagnostics verified the concern. (very important)

Response from Ford Engineering:

The popping noise present at start up is from the exhaust system resonator. Engineering is aware of this concern and is working toward a resolutionicon1.png. Replacing the exhaust at this time will not correct the concern. The noise is not detrimental to the operation of the exhaust. Please monitor OASIS for updates. Dated 6/12/2013 5:28pm mountain time.

Edited by transitman
  • Like 1