Metal "popping" sound when starting

rk2112

• 3 weeks later...

RESOLVED....

Some 2013 Escape vehicles built on or before 5/6/2013 may exhibit a single pop-type noise from the exhaust system when starting the engine after vehicle is parked for several hours. Noise typically occurs within 1-3 seconds after engine starts. This may be due to a baffle in the front muffler assembly. If a vehicle comes in for this condition, let it sit for a minimum of 4 hours. Start the vehicle with the driver's door open. If the vehicle exhibits the pop noise from the exhaust, replace the front muffler assembly.

RESOLVED....

Some 2013 Escape vehicles built on or before 5/6/2013 may exhibit a single pop-type noise from the exhaust system when starting the engine after vehicle is parked for several hours. Noise typically occurs within 1-3 seconds after engine starts. This may be due to a baffle in the front muffler assembly. If a vehicle comes in for this condition, let it sit for a minimum of 4 hours. Start the vehicle with the driver's door open. If the vehicle exhibits the pop noise from the exhaust, replace the front muffler assembly.

Nice, this sounds like TSB language, is there an actual TSB out there we can access and print?

OK, is there an SSM number? The noise is present on my car and if I have a number to take to the service department, I might get some resolution. When I mentioned it a couple of weeks ago the SA said they would have to keep the car overnight so they could check on a cold start and I can't leave it overnight. So, if I have proof of Ford's knowledge of the issue, and the dealership knows they'll be paid for the warranty work, maybe I can sweet talk them in believing me that the issue exists on my car, I won't have to leave it overnight and I can wait for a fix. It's worth a try.

Heard and thinking of switching exhaust but would love to know why a baffle is making a pop in my front muffler. Anyways my dealer in Long Island, NY says they have no knowledge of any information about a popping noise. I'll ask friends and see what I get

• 3 weeks later...

The "sag" in the headliner is normal. I noticed the same thing on mine and had the dealer open a few Escapes on the lot and they all exhibit the same gap at the rear of the panoramic roof. The explanation given is that the retractable sun screen can stretch and sag over time and if there was no gap, it would result in wear and tear on the sun screen. The sun screen does flap along the sides when my windows are open. The nature of a paper thin retractable sun screen.

The main thing that has been keeping it in the dealership is the headliner. It had a few dents in it when I bought it, but now they've put 3 new headliners in and have broken each one. The result is that where the vista roof ends, my headliner now sags down ~1-1.5 inches. And on the 1st replacement, I was getting rattles with it bouncing against the roof.
  • Like 1

The "sag" in the headliner is normal. I noticed the same thing on mine and had the dealer open a few Escapes on the lot and they all exhibit the same gap at the rear of the panoramic roof. The explanation given is that the retractable sun screen can stretch and sag over time and if there was no gap, it would result in wear and tear on the sun screen. The sun screen does flap along the sides when my windows are open. The nature of a paper thin retractable sun screen.

I agree that a sag is normal. The dealership and I went and took a look about about half a dozen vista roof escapes. They all had ~.25'' of sag in the middle. But when they install the headliners, they're bending it to get it into the vehicle, and physically damaging the cardboard support of the headliner, resulting in a much larger gap, and a rattle over every bump. Trust me, this is not the normal "sag" in the headliner (if it was, would the dealership agree to replace it 3 times?), but rather damage done from the dealer.

I agree that a sag is normal. The dealership and I went and took a look about about half a dozen vista roof escapes. They all had ~.25'' of sag in the middle. But when they install the headliners, they're bending it to get it into the vehicle, and physically damaging the cardboard support of the headliner, resulting in a much larger gap, and a rattle over every bump. Trust me, this is not the normal "sag" in the headliner (if it was, would the dealership agree to replace it 3 times?), but rather damage done from the dealer.

Hmmm, something sounds fishy. When I looked at my service DVD about removing the headliner there is nothing about "bending" it to get it in. If done properly it should just install straight up with no flexing required. You have to remove the A,B, C, and D pillars and the rear view mirror and the 2 "OH SHIT" bars above the front doors and anything else that could hold it up like the lights, etc. Basically remove everything. Then it should just fall straight down. They are cutting corners somewhere. I imagine it is difficult to get it in and I'm sure all the seats need to be lowered as much as possible because it has to go in at an angle from the rear. But they have to load it at the factory at some point from the rear no doubt. I wonder if they load it thru the windsheild at the factory? That might be wider than the rear. I will have to look at that.

Sorry about being off topic.

Edited by Escapism

Not to continue the off topic - but the procedure they showed me that they have is to actually remove the 40% rear seat, in addition to everything you said in order to insert the headliner. I don't understand how they keep breaking it because by doing it that way, you should be able to tilt it a full 45 degrees, and shouldn't have ANY problem inserting it. But (and I will concede this point) they keep claiming the front of the vehicle is much wider than the tailgate opening.

But if that was the case - I would expect them to be breaking the headliner by the front of the vista roof, not by the rear. *shrug. Soon I'm going to try going to a different dealership as I've been fighting with this one since February.

Mine has started to make multiple pops at start up. I already had the single pop, but this morning leaving home, when I left work at noon and today after making a half hour stop after work, it made three fast pops. I'm taking it in for my final oil change package and I am going to inquire about it then.

Mine has started to make multiple pops at start up. I already had the single pop, but this morning leaving home, when I left work at noon and today after making a half hour stop after work, it made three fast pops. I'm taking it in for my final oil change package and I am going to inquire about it then.

Yikes, the single cold start pop I consider to be no big deal but if it increases to this multi-pop then that concerns me. Also is there a possibility this exhaust issue has a effect on fuel economy or something else.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Got the Escape back and so far so good for the sensor. As for the TSB for the popping sound, it was confirmed and they ordered the exaust parts .

Seems like a lot of trips at the dealer with a new car but I still like it a lot and you have to expect that with a new model...Hopefully Ford's engineers are taking notes....

My 1.6L also pops at start-up. However, I'm out of the bumper-to-bumper warranty and the powertrain warranty language doesn't mention the exhaust past the manifold.

(1) Your vehicle’s Powertrain components are covered for five years or

60,000 miles, whichever occurs first. The extended coverage applies to
the Engine: all internal lubricated parts, cylinder block, cylinder heads,
electrical fuel pump, electronic engine control unit, engine mounts,
flywheel, injection pump, manifold (exhaust and intake), manifold bolts,
oil pan, oil pump, seals and gaskets, thermostat, thermostat housing,
timing chain cover, timing chain (gears or belt),
turbocharger/supercharger unit, valve covers, water pump;

Just because there is a TSB doesn't mean it's a free fix, correct?

Edited by inswva