Do you need to get the Paint Sealant for new car????!

Getting ready to take delivery of my MKZ and dealership is offering paint sealant? Is this a scam? Did anyone else get this option???

Don't need it, there is a page some where not on BoN that lists things they will try to get you to pay more. Will try to look it up.

Found it,

http://money.msn.com/car-buying/7-things-car-dealers-want-you-to-buy-mainstreet.aspx?cp-documentid=6849147

Edited by Serraph

You will find a zillion opinions on this topic. I would not pay a dealer. When I get a new car, the only thing I go through the dealer for is window tint. They typically use a local shop with minimal dealer mark up and then I can take it back to the dealer if there is a problem with it. For new paint, I clean the car again by hand then use a very light clay bar. I do not polish new clear coat. I then seal it with a product called rejex. Rejex takes 12 hours to cure. It tells you that wax is not required but I prefer a deeper look so add a layer of pure carnuba wax. http://www.rejex.com/

Is this 1970? Paint sealant and undercarriage protector? Not in my lifetime. I'll throw on a nice coat of wax after a month or so.

Modern paint sealants actually work better and last longer than regular wax. It's not worth what the dealers charge but as a product they're very good.

Modern paint sealants actually work better and last longer than regular wax. It's not worth what the dealers charge but as a product they're very good.

How much longer do they last, and if you don't have dealers do it, who does do that kind of work?

How much longer do they last, and if you don't have dealers do it, who does do that kind of work?

A wax generally lasts a couple of months. Sealants can last 6 months to 1 year (more or less). Nothing lasts more than about a year from what I've heard.

Any detailer or any car wash that offers waxing will usually have sealants.

Just saw this advertised some where and I looked it up. Has any one heard of this before? I've seen something similar like this offered by Lexus but that was for the handles, door guards, and wheel well area but this one was made for MKZ.

Have a look.

Darn, they don't have a price listing for it yet. It's not available on their website yet. I think it's a DIY kit.

Edited by Serraph

Just saw this advertised some where and I looked it up. Has any one heard of this before? I've seen something similar like this offered by Lexus but that was for the handles, door guards, and wheel well area but this one was made for MKZ.

Have a look.

Darn, they don't have a price listing for it yet. It's not available on their website yet. I think it's a DIY kit.

Isn't this a Car Bra..... The folks that did my tinting tried to sell me one for like 700.00

I had that done on our Panamera (Hood, mirrors,bumper, side panels, front roof area) and it was a paint saver. I'll probably have it done again on the MKZ

Looks really neat, I don't like that black bra on the front at all but the clear coat seems good and durable. That should keep flying things from making a scratch/dent on the car. Just need it to update with MKZ prices.

Looks really neat, I don't like that black bra on the front at all but the clear coat seems good and durable. That should keep flying things from making a scratch/dent on the car. Just need it to update with MKZ prices.

http://www.clearbra-kits.com/store/pc/viewCategories.asp?idCategory=4614 just found this....don't know anything about this company but gets you some prices to look at

• 2 months later...

We got the paint sealant and interior coverage on our 2013 MKZ from the dealership. I liked the other features also covered. You get 2 other times to bring the vehicle in to get it completely detailed inside and out and they apply another coat of the sealant. This is good for 4 years from purchase. They also send you a box to use on your own. They cover the interior of the vehicle also against stains, cuts and cigarette holes. I liked the idea of them covering dings in the doors also. This does happen in our area and they cover dings free of charge. If they are over a certain size then they do charge. I am sure not everyone will like paying the extra money but I liked everything they will cover and for the price I thought it was affordable. We got a black vehicle and it does clean up very easily compared to the test drive one we used. It seems like you can just rinse the vehicle off and it looks presentable now.