Making the 2013 Fusion Energi and HyTi into real Titaniums

taylorjd

I was very upset when I found out my 2013 Fusion Energi Titanium was not going to have the Dual Integrated Tailpipes like the Gas Titaniums. To me, that was the mark of the higher end Fusion Titanium (If you agree, please comment/Like my Ford post - http://social.ford.com/your-ideas/technologies/personalization/dual-integrated-tailpipes-for-the-2013-ford-fusion-hybrid-titanium-and-energi-titanium/)

So besides telling Ford, I am looking at changing my Energi's rear end. I have been talking with my Dealer's Service center. We think that we can change out the current Energi rear for the gas 2.0l rear. It would still only have one working tailpipe, but it would look like a dual. From best we can tell at this point, there are two parts (17810 and 17K922 [may need 17F827], costing just over $500) on the Fusion gas that are different from the Energi. Here is the image from the part catalog (in PDF and jpg):

I am going to meet again with the Service department and with the body shop and my salesman later next week to really scope this out. I am not sure what it will really cost, but if all of the parts fit, it should be a simple change. Even on the gas version, the exhaust pipes just butt up to the opening in the "integrated" holes in the bumper, so the Energi would just have one pipe, but still to openings.

I'll let you know what I find out. Anyone else do/looked at this?

post-49063-0-03113000-1363365456_thumb.jpg

Edited by taylorjd
  • Like 4

You do realize that the dual exhaust is not a Titanium feature but is tied to the 2.0L EB engine? SEs with the 2.0L EB engine also get dual exhaust. So it's not really the mark of the Titaniums.

Yes, but it was initially advertised as a Titanium feature, and we all placed our Hybrid & Energi Titanium orders expecting dual exhausts. Sure, they clarified it later on and updated the brochures, but my original printed brochure still shows the Dual Exhaust on the Hybrid Titanium. That's what I ordered and I'm disappointed that I won't get it.

Same as with the aluminum gas and brake pedal covers ... :(

Edited by neod192
  • Like 3

You do realize that the dual exhaust is not a Titanium feature but is tied to the 2.0L EB engine? SEs with the 2.0L EB engine also get dual exhaust. So it's not really the mark of the Titaniums.

You sound like the Ford Fusion Engineer I talked to. It SHOULD be the mark of a TITANIUM! It is what gives the back end the upper class styling over the normal exhaust pipes. But yes I do know that it is the 2.0L engine not the Titanium....but it Should be!

• Like 1

I think dual exhaust pipes look better on any vehicle and if there is a relatively inexpensive means to getting them on the Hybrid Titanium, I'm in. I too had the brochure showing them. JD, I'll be following your progress and do a little research myself. Thanks for sharing.

Add me to the list of VERY DISAPPOINTED Ford customers who were expecting to get dual exhaust on their HyTi AS WELL AS the cool aluminum brake and gas pedal covers. Not to mention, I also think the spoke wheels are ugly. WHY does Ford not offer a choice of wheels on their "high end" Fusion??

Taylorjd, if you find that it is possible and not outrageously expensive to convert the single exhaust to dual, I will talk to my Ford dealer about making the change on my Fusion too.

• Like 1

I have also made my voice known on the forums that Ford had no right to arbitrarily Value Engineer our Titanium's after making the sale. JD Are you going to handle the install or is your dealer. I would like to know the final sum. In my business it would be rejected, I would be backcharged for the amount to to provide the product I sold.

I have also made my voice known on the forums that Ford had no right to arbitrarily Value Engineer our Titanium's after making the sale. JD Are you going to handle the install or is your dealer. I would like to know the final sum. In my business it would be rejected, I would be backcharged for the amount to to provide the product I sold.

I am looking to have the dealer do it, but it will depend on cost and if my wallet (or credit card:)) can handle it. I'll let you all know what I find out.

Ford has every right to change anything they want to change on the vehicle before you take delivery. You, OTOH, also have the right to cancel your order or refuse delivery if the final product isn't what was advertised.

• Like 1

Ford has every right to change anything they want to change on the vehicle before you take delivery. You, OTOH, also have the right to cancel your order or refuse delivery if the final product isn't what was advertised.

akirby, do you work for Ford or just feel a need to protect them? Don't get me wrong. I LOVE Ford and I am looking forward to getting my 2013 Fusion Energi Titanium. My point of telling Ford what I think about not including the Integrated Tailpipes with the HyTi and Energi Titanium was and is to help Ford to understand how we feel about the use of the tailpipes and to help on future sales. The great thing about Ford is they listen. Back in June of last year, Ford was not going to even have a Hybrid Titanium (and maybe Energi Titanium [no info on that]), but I with others, told Ford, in many ways, that we wanted the Titanium trim and all the options on the Hybrid and Energi. They responded. So that is why I tell them how I feel. And I like this option so much I am looking to find a way to add it on my Energi.

akirby, do you work for Ford or just feel a need to protect them? Don't get me wrong. I LOVE Ford and I am looking forward to getting my 2013 Fusion Energi Titanium. My point of telling Ford what I think about not including the Integrated Tailpipes with the HyTi and Energi Titanium was and is to help Ford to understand how we feel about the use of the tailpipes and to help on future sales. The great thing about Ford is they listen. Back in June of last year, Ford was not going to even have a Hybrid Titanium (and maybe Energi Titanium [no info on that]), but I with others, told Ford, in many ways, that we wanted the Titanium trim and all the options on the Hybrid and Energi. They responded. So that is why I tell them how I feel. And I like this option so much I am looking to find a way to add it on my Energi.

I don't work for Ford but I do understand how businesses are run and why certain things work the way they do or don't work. Ford intended to make a Hybrid Titanium from the beginning. It was even shown at Detroit last year.

I agree with you that it should have dual exhaust and there is no problem saying that. And I'm not protecting anybody - just stating the facts. But when someone says Ford has "no right" to make a change that's just silly.

Ford intended to make a Hybrid Titanium from the beginning. It was even shown at Detroit last year.

Ford announced the Hybrid Titanium Oct 2, 2012 saying "The [Hybrid] Titanium edition was developed in response to consumer demand for a higher level of luxury in a hybrid vehicle". Unless Ford was lying, I do not think they were planning for it in June and July. I was complaining that they were not going to have the Push to Start on the Hybrid (and I assumed Energi) because they were not making a Titanium version of the hybrid. Here is a post I made to Social.Ford.com over 5 months ago http://social.ford.com/your-ideas/technologies/convenience/push-to-start-for-the-2013-fusion-hybrid/ and I had been emailing a number Ford executives well before that. And here is the News release Ford did in Oct: http://media.ford.com/article_display.cfm?article_id=37178. And that is why it is coming out in "Early 2013" instead of with the SE Hybrid and gas Titaniums. So maybe Ford just wanted us to think we had something to do with them coming out with the Titanium Hybrid....maybe...but if so, they pulled the wool over my eyes.

Don't forget the downgrade of the ambient lighting. They dropped the cup holder lights...

I won't miss the pedals as I was worried about their being slippery when wet and the rubber wearing down over time. Hey, they did knock $100 bucks off, you can always buy the parts back...

I want to know why they bumped the price of the moon roof $100, to lower its demand?

It seems pretty clear that Ford didn't intend to produce the HyTi when they first opened up the MY'13 order books. Whether they contemplated it back during prior prior auto show dog and pony presentations etc is unclear ... from my understanding, all that is presented at auto shows isn't always a lock or a promise of future production.

I think, also, the late decision to add the Ti trim added to the confusion of the marketing people - hence claims of dual exhaust, lit cup holders and tricked out pedals that the production folks can't or won't honor.

Sure Ford has the right to whittle away as much as they want and folks reserve the right to buy or walk away as they wish ... but at the end of the day Ford won't do themselves any favors from over promising and under delivering. Leaves a slightly sour taste that folks tend to recall. Much better to under promise and over deliver.

By the by - let me just say ahead of time I use the word "promise" quite loosely should any wish later to engage in any semantic petulance.

Edited by Pers69