2013 Ford Fusion Energi spare tire, or lack thereof

47Minutes

So I had a chance to view an Energi SE at the Dallas Auto Show today and learned something I did not previously realize. The Energi has no spare tire. It makes sense with trunk space coming at a premium for this model, but it never occurred to me they would remove the spare tire. In its place is a 12v air compressor that has a built-in can of "fix a flat" to get you going again for minor punctures. Ford rep from the dealership said you could go about 50 miles on the repair until something more permanent could be done. I'm including a couple pics. I wouldn't have even looked and noticed this if the wife hadn't made a fuss about the lack of trunk space. Apart from that she's excited for one of these to join our family hopefully in a week or so. Enjoy! post-49703-0-53316300-1363485230_thumb.jpgpost-49703-0-64526200-1363485236_thumb.jpg

Edited by 47Minutes

They did the same for the hybrid. It is more then just room, it is weight. A spare tire adds more weight and that effects gas millage. On the hybrid, there is a foam insert the size of a spare. You could swap that out and have a spare. I am not sure about the Energi.

Pointing to the Dallas auto shows continued decline over the past several years, they did not have a Hybrid there or any Titanium trim model. Just one SE Energi, and three gas powered versions. Very disappointing. I did not realize they did away with the spare in the plain hybrid too. That makes the wife nervous. Me too a little for any extended road trip.

Still waiting on confirmation from Holli on my dealer change so I can proceed when these two red ones show up at the dealership. Should be early to mid next week that they arrive. I'd sort of like to call one of them mine as it rolls off the truck. I hate to bug her but might have to ask her for a progress report if I haven't heard anything by lunch on Monday.

Overall I did not find a $24 value in the two autoshow tickets. I need to move somewhere with better shows!

Run flat tires could be a good idea for someone concerned about the lack of a spare tire. There are several disadvantages to using run flat tires (weight, fuel economy, etc.), but the trade off might be worthwhile for peace of mind..

Edited by CheesyRider

I have not had to worry about changing a flat tire in the past 17 years on driving. Beside, you get road side assistance so you can have a tow truck take you to the nearest tire repair shop if you don't want to use the mobility kit. If it really bothers you, buy a spare tire and put it in the trunk (without the foam insert). This is such a minor issue and something IMO shouldn't make anyone nervous in buying these cars.

I can't remember actually using a spare tire in the last 30 years.

Then you haven't lived in Toronto - Potholes a plenty.

I had to replace my Fusion Hybrid tire this weekend... $231 each :(

Got a small slit in the side wall - the fit a flat kit didn't really work. filled the tire with sealant as indicated but it seemed to stay as a liquid - never really sealing anything. When they pulled the tire off and gave it to me in a plastic bag - yup just liquid inside. hmm...

A little disappointed at what they bring to the Dallas show as well. No Titaniums. And you never get a top of the line pickup from Ford or GM. Maybe they just don't want that many people crawling all over them. It was nice to see an LKZ with the pano roof opened. I'd not looked at or seen one of them. The roof was very interesting opened all the way up - slides down the outside of the back glass. That was so interesting to see I didn't notice the bad antenna on the side that some have complained about. Maybe they had it taken off as they do a lot of items like that at a show.

I don't think tesla's have a spare either, and they have plenty of room to spare. It seems to be the trend.

Yep, I've seen this on more and more vehicles. You get no spare, just a can of fix-a-flat (& roadside assistance).

On the upside it might cut down on the asshats who drive on the doughnuts like they're a full sized spare :hysterical:

• Like 2

I don't remember how many cars back that I had a flat tire. A blowout at 120mph more than 2 decades ago comes to mind. Maybe the high end tires I replace the stocks with are more durable? Hmmm. I've had many slow leaks though-- so in my case, Fords plan makes sense.

I would love to have seen Ford or any of these other car manufacturers to make use of the spare tire area a little better. Why not manufacture a thinner oddly shaped battery that could make use of that space? Seems to me like the more efficient thing to do, and isn't that the name of the game efficiency?

I would love to have seen Ford or any of these other car manufacturers to make use of the spare tire area a little better. Why not manufacture a thinner oddly shaped battery that could make use of that space? Seems to me like the more efficient thing to do, and isn't that the name of the game efficiency?

I agree. I'm not sure why lies under the trunk floor to the right and left of the "spare" hole, but if nothing is there then sink that whole area for battery space. Maybe the Energi could have had a real trunk passthrough?!? I understand the cost benefit of using the same trunk "stamp" for all of the models and repurpose it as the trim or model dictates, but efficiency is the name of the game. Maybe the battery could have been even larger and extended our range or at least extended the room for our luggage. I wonder how much more per vehicle it would cost us if they had designed sheet metal for an Energi specific trunk.

This is not new & not isolated to electric vehicles. Im fairly certain that all Mustangs from base V6 up to the $60,000+ GT500 Shelby have been doing the compressor & "fix-a-flat" thing for years now.

I understand weight savings & fuel economy & maybe even cost reduction.

HOWEVER, the owners manual specifically states NOT to use fix-a-flat (it'll ruin your TPMS sensors. These can be $250+ per wheel to replace).

Also, while fine for a nail hole, it won't seal a larger hole, gash, or full blowout.

All new Fords DO come with 5 years or 60K miles of Roadside Assistance towing (up to 35 miles) so I guess that is of SOME comfort.

This is not new & not isolated to electric vehicles. Im fairly certain that all Mustangs from base V6 up to the $60,000+ GT500 Shelby have been doing the compressor & "fix-a-flat" thing for years now. I understand weight savings & fuel economy & maybe even cost reduction. HOWEVER, the owners manual specifically states NOT to use fix-a-flat (it'll ruin your TPMS sensors. These can be $250+ per wheel to replace). Also, while fine for a nail hole, it won't seal a larger hole, gash, or full blowout. All new Fords DO come with 5 years or 60K miles of Roadside Assistance towing (up to 35 miles) so I guess that is of SOME comfort.

$250+ a wheel to replace a sensor? How? I'm not disagreeing that you'd need to replace them, but you can get sensors and the training tool for all 4 wheels for $200, and that's a Ford OE kit (link: http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/item/M1180A/Mustang-Tpms-Sensor-Kit-M-1180-A). Since you'd be replacing the tire and mounting a new one anyways, there won't be much extra labor cost to put in a new sensor while they have the tire off (they're basically just different valve stems these days). If you meant $250+ to replace the tire and the sensor, then I'd agree, depending on the type of tires you go with.

$250+ a wheel to replace a sensor? How? I'm not disagreeing that you'd need to replace them, but you can get sensors and the training tool for all 4 wheels for $200, and that's a Ford OE kit (link: http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/item/M1180A/Mustang-Tpms-Sensor-Kit-M-1180-A). Since you'd be replacing the tire and mounting a new one anyways, there won't be much extra labor cost to put in a new sensor while they have the tire off (they're basically just different valve stems these days). If you meant $250+ to replace the tire and the sensor, then I'd agree, depending on the type of tires you go with.

First off all, congratulations! you've found the deal of the century if those are sensors are Fusion compatible. It really is a very low price assuming they work. If they don't work then it's a moot point. They are listed for a Mustang and may work great on a Fusion, maybe not. It sounds like that kit is intended to be purchased at the same time as a set of new or upgraded rims & tires. Which is brilliant because you wouldn't believe how many people are sold aftermarket wheels & tires (both online and locally) without being told that they are now going to have a permanent yellow TPMS warning light on their dash!

www.fordparts.com lists the correct Fusion TMPS sensor base # 1A189 as $83.73 each. that's $334.92 for 4 and that doesn't include the trainer tool (or shipping, or sales tax) If your sensors are correct, then they are a steal!

But, how many people do you suppose are going to proactively order that kit and have 4 sensors stored away "just in case" they get a flat? Even if they did, after shipping & installation you are still at or very near the $250.00 that I mentioned.

Upon realizing they've got a flat tire, 99.9% of fusion owners are going have their spare tireless Fusion towed to the nearest dealership (or independent tire store because they don't realize they've got free roadside assistance) rather than going to "Late Model Mustang Restoration" to mail order Ford Racing sensors intended for a Ford Mustang in hopes that they are compatible. All the while their Fusion sits for days leaning on it's rim...

Their friendly Ford dealership may (or may NOT) sell them the sensor for $83.73, very possibly more like $125 or higher. Also they are going to pay mounting and balancing charge of $18.00 or so, as well as a charge to install the sensor, or a charge to "retrain" the system, and possibly even a bogus "diagnostic" charge. plus sales tax, possibly a disposal fee for the old tire, shop supplies, & who knows what else.

my $250 was based on the old (a few years ago) style sensors that mounted to the wheel & required a new "mounting strap kit" which consisted of a very large metal gear type hose clamp # 14C202 that lists for an additional $75.43!

my estimate may be off a little, but for most folks, it's unfortunately alot closer to reality. Good find on those sensors though! dirt cheap!

Edited by superfords

I've used the rubber "twigs" before (in conjunction with the awl/installer tools that come with the rubber twigs). Pretty easy to use if you have an easy flat (nail or screw hole in the right place). At least with the tire mobility kit that Ford puts in your trunk, you can use the compressor w/o the sealant to get you going.

First off all, congratulations! you've found the deal of the century if those are sensors are Fusion compatible. It really is a very low price assuming they work. If they don't work then it's a moot point. They are listed for a Mustang and may work great on a Fusion, maybe not. It sounds like that kit is intended to be purchased at the same time as a set of new or upgraded rims & tires. Which is brilliant because you wouldn't believe how many people are sold aftermarket wheels & tires (both online and locally) without being told that they are now going to have a permanent yellow TPMS warning light on their dash!

www.fordparts.com lists the correct Fusion TMPS sensor base # 1A189 as $83.73 each. that's $334.92 for 4 and that doesn't include the trainer tool (or shipping, or sales tax) If your sensors are correct, then they are a steal!

But, how many people do you suppose are going to proactively order that kit and have 4 sensors stored away "just in case" they get a flat? Even if they did, after shipping & installation you are still at or very near the $250.00 that I mentioned.

Upon realizing they've got a flat tire, 99.9% of fusion owners are going have their spare tireless Fusion towed to the nearest dealership (or independent tire store because they don't realize they've got free roadside assistance) rather than going to "Late Model Mustang Restoration" to mail order Ford Racing sensors intended for a Ford Mustang in hopes that they are compatible. All the while their Fusion sits for days leaning on it's rim...

Their friendly Ford dealership may (or may NOT) sell them the sensor for $83.73, very possibly more like $125 or higher. Also they are going to pay mounting and balancing charge of $18.00 or so, as well as a charge to install the sensor, or a charge to "retrain" the system, and possibly even a bogus "diagnostic" charge. plus sales tax, possibly a disposal fee for the old tire, shop supplies, & who knows what else.

my $250 was based on the old (a few years ago) style sensors that mounted to the wheel & required a new "mounting strap kit" which consisted of a very large metal gear type hose clamp # 14C202 that lists for an additional $75.43!

my estimate may be off a little, but for most folks, it's unfortunately alot closer to reality. Good find on those sensors though! dirt cheap!

Yeah I have no idea if they would work on a Fusion, they were just the first legitimate looking result I found with a quick Google search (and you had mentioned Mustangs, so it sorta fit :) ). I just wanted to point out that you can find these sorts of things much cheaper by doing a bit of the footwork yourself. Like you said, though, most people are woefully unaware/naive (or even worse, lazy or don't care), so I was just hoping to shed a bit more light on the situation. Knowledge is power, right?

FWIW, I opted to have the annoying yellow/orange TPMS light on my dash with my winter wheels and tires because I didn't feel like paying for the sensors when I keep a perfectly capable tire gauge in my car to check them myself. I don't remember the cost that I was quoted at the time for adding sensors to those wheels/tires, but I'm quite sure it wasn't at $250 a wheel.

• 3 weeks later...

Hmmm . . . I can't find either spare wheels or spare tires for Fusion Hybrids at motorcraft.com. That's rather astonishing. What is one to do if the spare on an ICE Fusion blows out? Go to a junk yard? (Can't find a thing at Tire Rack, either.)

Edited by milleron

• 3 weeks later...
Did not know you could sell cars without a spare. What is the estimated milage on a set of tires?

That depends on how you drive and keeping the tires properly inflated.

I haven't looked up the numbers for the tires on my car but they should be good for at least 50,000 miles.

One recommendation is that the Tire mobility kit that comes with the car uses a sealer that will destroy the Tire Pressure Monitoring Sensor (TPMS) in the wheel.

Tire repair kits are commonly available for less than $10 that are labeled as being TPMS safe.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_76588-14350-S420-6_0__?Ntt=fix+a+flat&UserSearch=fix+a+flat&productId=3692650&rpp=32

This not a permanent repair. It is intended to keep you moving until the tire can be repaired properly or replaced.